View Full Version : Zoom Bluetooth Dialup Modem

ChristopherTD
03-30-2004, 11:08 AM
I purchased a Zoom 4300 Bluetooth dialup modem for use at work where the GPRS reception is terrible, and where I have a dialup line already on my desk. Previously I had used a CF Modem in a CF sleeve, but this is a much more elegant solution.

It is not an access point, it presents itself as a normal modem, with either a wired (serial) or Bluetooth connection. Connecting to my iPaq 5550 was simply a matter of browsing for the device with Bluetooth manager, entering the 4-digit PIN (printed on the bottom of the modem) and then it was available for configuring as a "Connection" in the normal WM2003 manner (which is to say you fiddle about at random in a maze of incomprehensible interlocking dialogs until it all works).

Once the "Connection Manager" game is over it works beautifully, connectivity without wires!

One possible downside for some is that it is AC only, there is no provision for operation on batteries.

http://www.zoom.com/products/bluetooth_overview.html

Janak Parekh
03-31-2004, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback. We've posted on this a couple of times, and I was curious to hear how well it actually worked.

--janak