View Full Version : Ipaq 1940/22xx and New Nokias Don’t Play Well Together?

Jonathon Watkins
03-30-2004, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pc-counselor.com/h221x.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pc-counselor.com/h221x.htm</a><br /><br /></div>PiatekHS reports that the new Nokia 6820 and 6230 aren’t able to interoperate via Bluetooth with the HP1940 and 22xx series of IPaq. It seems that there is an issue that the IPaqs do not support 'combination' authorisation which the new Nokias require.<br /><br />WIDCOMM have put out a Technote about this: “There are two types of keys that can be used for pairing:- Combination keys (&) - Unit keys. The key type that is used is pre-set in the Bluetooth Radio Firmware. The WIDCOMM BTW-CE Bluetooth software does not control this setting. The radio on the iPaq 1940 uses unit keys by default. The Nokia 6820 phone rejects the use of unit keys in pairing because it is not as secure as combination keys.”<br /><br />There apparently are a lot of posts on HP's web site regarding this issue and a rumour that the ROM update would fix it and further confirmation that it hasn't. The v1.10 ROM certainly did not work for PiatekHS anyway…… Has anyone else seen this issue or got any more info about it?

brianchris
03-30-2004, 02:05 AM
The key type that is used is pre-set in the Bluetooth Radio Firmware. The WIDCOMM BTW-CE Bluetooth software does not control this setting.

....a rumour that the ROM update would fix it and further confirmation that it hasn't. The v1.10 ROM certainly did not work for PiatekHS anyway

Unless I'm mis-understanding something, I wouldn't expect a ROM update to fix a firmware problem, correct?

HTK
03-30-2004, 03:02 AM
That´s nice, technology thats does not work

Ed Hansberry
03-30-2004, 04:18 AM
Just stopped in to say Bluetooth su… oh youlknow already. ;)

jimski
03-30-2004, 04:32 AM
No, Bluetooth is fine. It's just all the imbeciles that keep screwing up the implementation.

JonnoB
03-30-2004, 07:55 AM
No, Bluetooth is fine. It's just all the imbeciles that keep screwing up the implementation.

How is it fine if the SIG for BT won't enforce strict guidelines for interoperability?

One of the best things about competing or preceeding technologies such as IrDA, various IEEE cabling, USB, etc is that there were interoperability testing events that would benchmark compatibility between multiple devices, software, etc. I have not heard of the Bluetooth SIG doing this kind of rigorous testing.

In the beginning, it is expected that new technology standards would have some growing pains, but BT is now several years into the making and I see no maturity in its certification guidelines and certainly no enforcement. It is perhaps, the manufacturers that are poorly implementing Bluetooth, but without strong oversight by the larger group, that phenomenon just won't change. I fault the BT SIG for not taking a stronger stand.

With few exceptions (serial cable, IR, and mono headset/mic replacement,) I see no market strength in BT even though I realize the raw potential. I really hope it does take off, but each day that new stories like this come out is just another stab wound on the already feable body of Bluetooth. I think only Microsoft now can create the standardization momentum it needs to have real staying power. Lets see what WinXPSE brings and hope it is not too late.

Dodson65
03-30-2004, 08:00 AM
And what about the other pocket pPC?

I use a 3970 with WM2003 and would like to buy a Nokia 6230 soon.
Can I use Bluetooth to connect them?

T-Will
03-30-2004, 08:06 AM
The joys of Bluetooth...please just die already. :byebye: (or enforce strict guidelines like JonnoB said)

manywhere
03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
The reason for the new pairing procedure is here:
http://www.bluetooth.com/upload/24Security_Paper.pdf
Look for chapter "1.2.1. Unit keys".

Forum Nokia's Disussion forum seems to be hot on the same subject too:
http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=5dae8449769fd3d3f91264d19eb4d5cc&forumid=38&daysprune=100&sortorder=&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

No one has found a hack yet, so it seems to be up to Widcomm and/or Nokia (not Bluetooth SIG -- who are just sitting on their fats behinds doing nothing for the standard but destroying it :evil: ) to update it. Don't expect Nokia to do that, however, they are strictly driven to enforce security and not allow security holes to be available in their products. Hence, Widcomm may have to help us on this subject. :cry:

Anyone care to start an complaint signature collection to the Bluetooth SIG? If you do, let me know ASAP! :twisted:

YohanDK
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
I have the HP iPAQ H4150 and just got the Nokia 6230. I paired them up without any problems at all and the bluetooth connection works perfectly! I wasn't even aware of a new pairing procedure. It was the same as with all my previous phones...

I hope the rest of you will have the same succes. HP H4150 and Nokia 6230 are both GREAT products that I highly recommend, and connected with (the IMHO wonderful technology) bluetooth they work together flawless!

My2cents...

PiatekHS
03-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Club Nokia have come with a reply stating that they won't be changing this : "It is not really a problem with the Nokia phone however this feature will not be changed, if you wish to return the phone for this reason please contact the supplier of the phone".

As stated elsewhere Nokia, could have a warning displayed when a Unit key is requested and the user could then accept this (at his/her peril)??

Really, HP NEED to provide a solution, since in future the 2210 and 1940 will be useless with any new Nokia (& other?) brand phone.

Failing that they will lose loyal customers; at least Nokia had a decent honest and direct response, whereas HP are ignoring my query.

enemy2k2
03-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Just stopped in to say Bluetooth su… oh youlknow already. ;)

I really hope you didn't buy your PPC with using bluetooth in mind, you'll probably have to look elsewhere (Palm) for now for it to work the way you want. This situation doesn't look like it will improve until MS begins backing bluetooth in a big way.

I doubt it would have added much cost to your unit so just look at it as a useless freebie:D

It also doesn't look like there will be any competing standard popping up anytime soon, and even if it does that it will work any better. But with how common it's becoming it looks like MS will have no choice but to begin decent support and implementation.

Ziad.T
03-30-2004, 05:29 PM

It doesn't work on my 6820 (from the 2210) either ... While it's perfect with the 6600 and older models ...

I don't think everybody is screwing up ... But hey, you can do a implementation tutorial :roll:

Yo Boss
03-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Good thing I saw this thread. I own an Ipaq 2210 and I was about to buy a Nokia 6230 this week... :mecry:

Anyway, did anybody hear about a hack to make them work yet?

jimski
03-31-2004, 07:25 AM

How is it fine if the SIG for BT won't enforce strict guidelines for interoperability?

Couldn't agree more. What I really meant was that I believe Bluetooth (the technology) works as designed. Now why the Bluetooth SIG and manufacturers, and, and... can't get it together. That's the part that frustrates me.

ctitanic
04-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Somebody has found a beta patch which fix this problem and I have posted it at my site:

http://www.pc-counselor.com/h221x.htm#bt6820_6230

PiatekHS
04-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Any ideas when HP will release an 'official' patch.

Many Thanks