View Full Version : Please help, save my battery !!

MonkeyRobb
03-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi all....

I have a Ipaq 2210 and just got a 2.2GB CFII card not knowing just how much power they consume ! (see - always pays to read up on these things first ! :oops: )

I'm using it for music files via WMP and find that I get about 2 hours use before the battery warning "pings" !

I have the brightness set on minimum and screen to turn off after 10 secs - but still not much luck in extending the life...

I heard somewhere that someone was getting 4 hours use out of it using a 2210 & Pocket Music - but I can't see how this would extend battery life....

Are there any other settings I can change or would using a different media player help ? Are there other batteries perhaps ??? :?

Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks !!

Brad Adrian
03-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Turning off/down the backlighting and/or the screen is about the only real way to impact the battery drain. I'm not sure, but it may be arguable that turning down the volume could, too, but I'd guess that would be a fairly academic discussion.

You can build a simple battery extender for times when you need more playing time:

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/archive/casio/DennisWolfe/BatteryExtender/BatteryExtender.htm

Jason Dunn
03-30-2004, 12:21 AM
I have a Ipaq 2210 and just got a 2.2GB CFII card not knowing just how much power they consume

Is it a CompactFlash card, or a Microdrive? 2.2 GB makes me think it's a Microdrive, in which case it's a whole different story...clarify on that point and I'll provide further details. ;-)

MonkeyRobb
03-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Hello again...

Many thanks for your suggestion Brad...... looks like a good idea - though a bit cumbersome to travel around with as they seem to be using D cells which are quite big and heavy... wonder if AA cells would work.... will have to do some research.

In answer to your question Jason it is indeed a Microdrive - which is why I suppose it consumes so much power. :frusty:

Thanks again guys.

Jason Dunn
03-31-2004, 11:33 PM
In answer to your question Jason it is indeed a Microdrive - which is why I suppose it consumes so much power. :frusty: Thanks again guys.

Yes, that would be why. ;-) Ok, so what you want then is a music player that caches music to help conserve power with micro drives, like Pocket Player: http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

Good luck!

Brad Adrian
03-31-2004, 11:37 PM
... wonder if AA cells would work.... will have to do some research...
AA batteries will work; in fact, that's the kind I've built for myself. You can follow the instructions for the larger one, but just use a case that holds 4-AA batteries.

MonkeyRobb
04-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Many thanks guys.

Your help is much appreciated - downloading pocket player now !

Cheers

MR. :mrgreen:

Deus
04-01-2004, 01:18 PM
If you want to extend battery life you can also underclock your PPC and you will get longer battery life. You just play with how low you can underclock without loosing performance. You can use XCPUScalar...

MonkeyRobb
04-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Deus.. Wow ! What a great app !

Will give it a go.

Many thanks for the suggestion!

MR