View Full Version : Why does my device turn on and off at odd times?

Jacob
03-28-2004, 06:29 PM
I don't know if this is the infamous WM2003 alarms bug, but my 4155 turns on at times when I haven't done anything to it.

There are also times when I'm using it and withing 3 seconds of a tap on the screen the screen will dim and then I'll tap to get it to brighten again and a second or so later it will just turn off.

I've been using the Check notifications app (http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html) from scarybear, but this doesn't seem to prevent this.

Janak Parekh
03-28-2004, 07:15 PM
In ActiveSync on the Pocket PC, make sure it isn't set to sync "on a schedule". I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but it doesn't hurt to turn it off.

--janak

Jacob
03-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Nope, it is set on manual.

I did have the options to sync with the server set to a time, but I didn't change that setting ever.

I switched it to manual, hopefully that will do it.

Jon Westfall
03-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Do you use sprite backup? My i-mate kept turning on all the time and draining the battery when I used sprite and had it set to do automatic backups daily.

Jacob
03-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Yes! I do!

And yes I have it set up to automatic backups daily.

I'll try turning that off and see if I get the problem again. Did you ever see a problem with it turning off though?

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 04:38 AM
no, merely with it turning on. It was quite sad to give up my daily backups but my battery was more important!

Jacob
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Well, turning off scheduled backups didn't work.

The device still turns on and off at odd times. It's especially annoying when you're right in the middle of creating an appointment and then POOF!

ARgh!

I'm hesitant to say it, but would a hard reset be in order?

spikedrabbit
04-01-2004, 01:03 AM
I had a similar problem, I had been playing with a bunch of different apps and my PPC would occasionally shut off. I finally got around to doing a hard reset (after finding all my installation files AND registration keys) :D and now it works like a dream! Much faster too. I assume I had too much junk laying around.

ctmagnus
04-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Nit too sure about the turning off issue, but my 5550 was constantly turning itself on, especially within a few minutes of turning it off.

Here's what I did to fix it, ymmv:

ActiveSync (on the PPC): Tools menu -> Options -> Server tab -> Options button -> Rules tab -> When connected to my PC Sync with the server [set to manually].

Jacob
04-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Anything but manually?

I would have thought having it set to automatically would be more likely to cause it than manual.

ctmagnus
04-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Notice my edit ;)

Jacob
04-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Dang! You editted it and now my post just looks silly! :lol:

It is set to manually though. I think this weekend I might just do a cleanup hard reset and see if cleaning up my device helps somewhat.

ctmagnus
04-02-2004, 07:51 PM
fwiw, mine started exhibiting the behaviour you mention (sans the turning off) around the end of November. It behaved properly beforehand that. Then it recently started behaving itself again around three weeks ago. In an unrelated incident, it hard-reset itself a week ago. When I rebuilt it, it started turning itself on again. It must be an app or two that causes it. I set the tweak I mentioned and it now functions as I want it to.