View Full Version : Wireless adapters and Windows 98 incompatibility

tanalasta
03-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I was just informed by a Linksys online consultant that Windows 98 is not compatible with any wireless network adapter. Apparently Win 98SE or better is required. :oops:

What do people make of this?

I was originally hoping to buy the Linksys USB (or pci) 802.11 adapters to connect to a DG834 ADSL router/AP. Whilst my brother will be taking full advantage of the wireless connection, I would really hate to be stuck using a 15m cable running across my kitchen.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

SHoTTa35
03-28-2004, 04:05 PM
windows 98 8O c'mon.. get him outta the dark ages... windows 2000 minimum is required !! or should be! This is why we can't get all the new hot technology cuz alot of users out there are holding everyone else back.

In Japan people are so ready to upgrade and look where they are at now...

But back to topic again, i think it'll work but they just wont support it... . Try finding a card that came out like last year or so.. might still have support for 98.

Janak Parekh
03-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately, SHoTTa35 is right. Over the next year, I think you'll see support for Win98 first edition drop substantially. I believe 98SE had some USB updates, among other things.

If you can't run Win2k on your machine, consider upgrading to (ugh) WinMe. At least it's an actively maintained product. Though, I would see about getting RAM upgrade and WinXP if I can...

--janak

Jorgen
03-28-2004, 10:02 PM
I am running wireless on a laptop (and at one stage also a desktop) from Windows 98 with date 4/10 1998 - no mention of SE anywhere. I have Bluetake PCMCIA and Bluetake USB and have used them connected ad hoc and via infrastructure to a D-Link router (and a D-Link CF card to the PPC's). Works like a dream.

The Linksys guy is probably babling (or they want to stop maintaining W98, which they are welcome to - I will then continue with D-Link :)). Wi-fi is a communications application and does not need an advanced operating system.

Jorgen

tanalasta
03-29-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks for all the helpful replies - I'd rather dread having to spend that much on a wireless setup (for my brother with the brand new laptop) whilst I'm stuck using a 20m cable.

If people have gotton Windows 98 first edition working with USB/wi-fi then I'd really love to give it a try. As these things are fairly plug-and-play I just wanted to be sure that my computer will automatically detect the wi-fi connection to the ADSL router before i purchased the equipment.

As for why I'm not upgrading yet: I'm using a 433Mhz celeron processor with 128MB RAM and Windows 98 works just fine for me. Nice and stable :) All i do is surf the web and write reports anyway.

When my phone-line finally gets upgraded I'll post to see whether things work. I'll try the wi-fi setup and if it doesn't work, I'll return whichever adapter I buy and get the plain ethernet cable. 8)

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 04:53 AM
Perhaps try finding a copy of 98 SE on Ebay cheap (i.e. under $10). I would deffinetly do that before going to the abomination of an OS that WinME is.

Janak Parekh
03-29-2004, 06:23 AM
If people have gotton Windows 98 first edition working with USB/wi-fi then I'd really love to give it a try. As these things are fairly plug-and-play I just wanted to be sure that my computer will automatically detect the wi-fi connection to the ADSL router before i purchased the equipment.
There should be adapters that work with first ed. just fine.

As for why I'm not upgrading yet: I'm using a 433Mhz celeron processor with 128MB RAM and Windows 98 works just fine for me. Nice and stable :) All i do is surf the web and write reports anyway.
If you bumped up the RAM to 256MB+, the machine should run fine with XP, although I do understand your point. ;)

--janak

tanalasta
03-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Well, I've been emailing around the various vendors:
D-Link's customer support has told me all their USB adapters require Windows 98SE and won't work with first edition. With the exception of the one wireless adapter that plugs into a standard ethernet port.

Netgear has replied:
"We have a USB adaptor called the MA111 which is an 802.11b wireless USB adaptor. This product will work on Windows 98. Unfortunately none of our 802.11g wireless USB adaptors will work with Windows 98 first edition."

So I suppose I'm stuck with the MA111 (802.11b) unless someone has any other alternatives! I would prefer the WG121 but unless someone has gotton that working with Win98 first ed I'll probably play it safe. :?

Jon Westfall
03-30-2004, 03:18 PM
I Just thought of something: I've used cisco aironet cards (350 series) on computers running windows 95! They cost substantially more than other 802.11b cards (you can pick up a good used one on ebay for $70 or so) but they are worth it - nice quality and strength.

tanalasta
03-31-2004, 03:31 AM
Just had another chat to the Linksys consultant and the reason why none of their USB wireless adapters work with my OS is that their drivers only support win98SE. Apparently the drivers won't work on first edition - though I have no idea why.

Netcomm has replied none of their adapters work with first ed either. Only 98SE. They no longer write drivers for my antiquated OS.

Guess my product choices are now quite limited. I really wanted a USB over pci connection as I'll only be connecting to my ADSL router and wanted to be able to hot-swap between my 2 different (antique) desktops at home.