View Full Version : Do you go to the store to check out PDAs?

Falstaff
03-28-2004, 04:44 AM
I just went to CompUSA today to check out PDAs. I'm not in the market for a new PPC at the moment though, I just went for fun. I was wondering how many other people in this forum actually visit the store just to check out new devices?

Jon Westfall
03-28-2004, 05:07 AM
I tried the last option and lost a lot of dates... so I decided to stick to middle-of-the-road. Sometimes though, CompUSA can make pretty embarassing mistakes with pocket PCs and labeling them appropriately.

Jacob
03-28-2004, 05:27 AM
I almost always check out the displays when I happen to be in a store.

It's weird, I almost always know exactly what would be there but I still do.

Falstaff
03-28-2004, 07:07 AM
I almost always check out the displays when I happen to be in a store.

It's weird, I almost always know exactly what would be there but I still do.
It's always fun to play around with the devices though. CompUSA is good because they actually leave the devices out (granted, there are no styli), Office Depot has them under plexiglass, so you can't do anything with them. I need to remember to bring programs and media files on CF and SD cards the next time I go though, I'll probably get wierd looks, but ohh well.

Zack Mahdavi
03-28-2004, 07:58 AM
I hate how Best Buy has basically stopped selling PDAs. Every time I go, I'm disappointed to see the PDA area replaced by mp3 players... I used to love going there and comparing PDAs against each other... plus, you could always find excellent open box deals on accessories...

Oh well.... :roll:

Steven Cedrone
03-28-2004, 08:44 AM
I used to love to "browse" at the local Computer Superstore, but the last time I was there, it left a bad taste in my mouth. The PDA display was horrible! There was only 1 working Pocket PC (a 2215) and when I talked to the manager about it, he said "Well, it doesn't matter, they all run the same OS" :roll:

Not any more! I'll just drool over pics... :drool:

Steve

Zack Mahdavi
03-28-2004, 09:22 AM
I used to love to "browse" at the local Computer Superstore....

I agree.. I've never actually bought a PDA from a brick and mortar store.. heck, I hardly buy anything at brick and mortar stores these days. I mainly just go to browse... and once I find something I like, I'll go home and buy online. I feel kind of bad for doing that, especially since I worked retail for a good 3 years, but the price drives me away from the retail stores.

Aerestis
03-29-2004, 12:22 AM
I really like playing with them every few days for about a minute to be sure I'm going to like the device later on. The palm T|E really lost it's novelty about a month and a half after I got it... I'm tired of the lack of media support. Had I been able to find that out in store though... Sometimes you have to gamble though. Playing in store is pretty good anyhow.

senfeng
03-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Yeah... Unfortunately I'm a gadget junky. While I won't go out and buy everything out there, it's a habit of mine to wander around a Circuit City, Office Depot, etc and just play with the PDAs and Laptops. I've gotten so bad that I occassionally go to Circuit City with my Zeis cloth and clean all of the Pocket PCs. Circuit City does a horrible job of keeping them presentable. I once walked in an saw an e805 in an e405 cradle. :(

buckyg
03-29-2004, 02:40 AM
I look anytime I'm in a store that sells them. You never know when they might put something on clearance or "open box" and get a good deal.

If I am in the market, I do like to try before I buy, even if I don't buy from a brick & mortar store.

Yes, the displays can often be appalling...

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 03:15 AM
I have a picture of an operating T-Mobile Pocket PC being labeled as a samsung something-or-another, while a dummy t-mobile pocket pc (correctly labeled) was across the store (at CompUSA). Sad really... very sad. Oh, and while we're on the subject of Best Buy - I really can't stand how they've dumbed down their PDA department. They've got more pda apps in at my best buy, but have 3 pda's on display - 2 palms, 1 ipaq.