View Full Version : AmbiCom GPS-CF HELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

binky
03-27-2004, 05:55 AM
I have a big problem. My gps receiver for my hp 2215 won't work. i have tried everything, read everything, and have been almost everywhere. Can someone please help. Whenever rI plug te GPS into my compact flash port i get tthis message, "ENTER THE NAME OF THE DEVICE DRIVER FOR THIS CARD. FOR INFORMAION, SEE TTHE CARD MANUFACTURER'S DOCUMENTATION." I have not found any info in the manufacturer's documentation. And whenever I click on PocketMap Navigator, the free 30 day trial program that came with, I get this message, "SORRY, POCKETMAP NAVIGATOR COULD NOT DETECT YOUR AMBICOM GPS DEVICE." I have no clue on what to do. Can someone out there please help me. Post soon if you know anything. Thanks.

Pat Logsdon
03-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Ok, first things first. Did you install the driver? If not, you can get it here (http://www.ambicom.com/support/driverdownload/ddgpscf.htm). If you did, I'd uninstall it, and then reinstall it, and see if that fixes the problem. Post back and let me know how it goes. :)

binky
03-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Yes I have already been there and done that. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it.

Pat Logsdon
03-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Did you do a soft reset after the install/reinstall? If not, I'd uninstall, soft reset, reinstall, soft reset, and see if it works. If it doesn't, you can try using a program called CEMonitor to check the functionality of the CF GPS.

You can get the program and instructions here (http://www.pocketmap.com/accessories/troubleshooting.html#GENERAL). Just follow the steps in the 2nd question "Is there any way I can flush and reset my GPS device?"

Let me know if that works...

buckyg
03-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Hmm... I wonder what is wrong? I'm using that same GPS on both a 5455 & 5555 with no problem. Never had to load the driver either. The first time I plugged the GPS in, a message popped up something about detecting a new modem. I closed this. Once I started the software, it detected the modem. I no longer use the included software, I use Mapopolis now, but it worked the same way, the first time the GPS was plugged in to the device.

Sorry, I don't have a 2215, but I think it should work the same, unless I'm mistaken.

When I previewed this post, I see Pat has suggested something additional to try. I hope that this works for you. Good luck!

binky
03-29-2004, 02:15 AM
HELP.....PLEASE....

buckyg
03-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Did you have any luck with trying CEMonitor, as Pat suggested?

This may seem like a stupid question, but does a CF storage card work in the CF slot? This would help rule out a problem with the CF slot on your iPAQ.

binky
03-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Yes I have tried CEmonitor, and es the CF works b/c I have a Veo Phototraveler that works when I plug it in.

buckyg
03-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Were you able to connect to the GPS with CEMonitor? If you were not, this leads me to suspect that maybe that there is something wrong with that specific GPS. (Not that model, just the specific one that you purchased.) In that case, see if you can return the GPS in exchange for another of the same model. You may also want to contact Ambicom support.

If anyone else has other suggestions or ideas, please chime in.

IMHO, this is an excellent CF GPS, I do hope you are able to get it working.

Pat Logsdon
03-29-2004, 06:18 AM
If you couldn't connect to the GPS using CEMonitor, I'd have to agree with Buckyg and say that your GPS is probably defective.

The only other thing I can think of to try is to see if PocketMap has some kind of autodetect. The program I use will scan all of the COM ports to see if it can find a GPS connected to one of them. If the problem is with the GPS or the driver, it won't find anything, but I'd try it anyway, just in case. :wink:

binky
03-31-2004, 06:12 AM
I think I am just going to take it back... :( :( :( :( :( :(

buckyg
03-31-2004, 03:33 PM
See if they will exchange it for another of the exact same model. I believe that you may have received a defective one.

If you purchased it at a brick & mortar store, explain the situation and see if they will let you try the replacement out. If the replacement works for you, great. If it does not, see if you can either get your money back or use the cash towards another GPS.

Just my two cents, whatever you do, good luck!

binky
04-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Bad News. I exchanged the old gps for a new same one. But I am still having the same problem. I am clueless I do not know what to do I have emailed the tech support and called for ambicom but have got nothing back. i am getting really frusterated, so if anyone knows what to do please post

thanks