View Full Version : ActiveSync 3.7.1 Build 4034 Available

Janak Parekh
03-27-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2eb5bd80-d52c-4560-ae11-da92f2b229fa&displaylang=en' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en</a><br /><br /></div>Microsoft quietly uploaded a newer build of ActiveSync 3.7.1 this week (the previous public build was 3244). I made some inquiries, and was able to find out the list of bugfixes. <li> Exploring connected device from desktop doesn't show contents in explorer window - this provides better user experience when exploring the device from the desktop.<br /><li> RAPI Crash - this was a fix to eliminate the top reported bug since 3.7.1 shipped.<br /><li> 3rd party applications Initializing RAPI Failures - RAPI changes in 3.7.1 had affected some 3rd party applications ability to initialize RAPI. This is now fixed.<br /><li> Icon for Connection manager may be confusing to end users in the ICF popup dialog box - If Internet Connection Firewall is on, this will pop up a warning dialog box when users dock their devices for the first time. Minor UI changes to make this pop-up more friendly and distinguishable. For the most part, it's a minor upgrade, but it fixes a few niggling issues that came up during the 3.7 => 3.7.1 update.

felixdd
03-27-2004, 05:13 AM
I thought that explorer problem was only me. Glad there was a fix to it.

arebelspy
03-27-2004, 07:18 AM
I thought that explorer problem was only me. Glad there was a fix to it.

Ditto. :D

-arebelspy

quidproquo
03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Good deal.....
These items may have seemed like "minor" issues, but I switched from 3.7.1 BACK to 3.7 because the connection bugs were so bad with 3.7.1! :evil:

Glad to see a fix in place finally.

Bearjaw
03-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Whats the Explorer issue?

Trokair
03-27-2004, 02:29 PM
You'd double click on "Mobile Device" in My Computer, and nothing would show up in the Explorer window. No files or folders; in essence, you couldn't browse your Pocket PC from the desktop.

I'm glad they fixed it. :D

-Kyle

PeterLake
03-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Exploring connected device from desktop doesn't show contents in explorer window - this provides better user experience when exploring the device from the desktop.

Talk about a corporate-speak understatement!

l can't wait to see MS use this again such as: "bug fix prevents PDA's from spontaneously exploding - provides better user experience when holding the device in hand.''

disconnected
03-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Ok, I used google to look up RAPI, but didn't totally uncerstand it (talk about understatement :oops: )

I've occasionally had the explorer problem, but I've only had one major problem with ActiveSync (not counting the occasions when it doesn't recognize my iPAQ, or randomly disconnects). I can't remember when it started, and I've always thought it was a problem with my PC, rather than ActiveSync, but maybe not. I mostly install PPC apps using their desktop installer, and some apps freeze during the install. When the installer opens the PC window that normally says it's retreiving info from the PPC, the window is blank, and the whole PC freezes and can't be unfrozen except by shutting off the PC with the hardware button and then restarting -- usually several times to get it back to normal. When it happens with a particular app, it will always happen with that app. The only way to install those apps is to do the install with the PPC not connected and then the next time I connect it will do the automatic install ok. Proably not an ActiveSync problem, but I guess it can't hurt to do this upgrade anyway.

Sully
03-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Anyone elese get a file copy error around 92% that says to re-boot and re-install? No matter how many time i re-boot and try it will not install. Shuting down virus software is no help, tried in safe mode. I can install 3.7 with no problems. Using win xp pro with sp2.

Jonathon Watkins
03-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Microsoft quietly uploaded a newer build of ActiveSync 3.7.1 this week (the previous public build was 3244).

So why is it still called 3.7.1 then? It should be called 3.7.1.1 or 3.7.2. :grumble:

Janak Parekh
03-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Anyone elese get a file copy error around 92% that says to re-boot and re-install? No matter how many time i re-boot and try it will not install. Shuting down virus software is no help, tried in safe mode. I can install 3.7 with no problems. Using win xp pro with sp2.
SP2? You mean the prerelease? ;) I had no problems installing on XP SP1. It "paused" around 91%, like the previous versions, but went through fine ultimately after about a minute.

Make sure your TEMP directory is cleared out, uninstall any versions, and try again?

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-27-2004, 05:09 PM
So why is it still called 3.7.1 then? It should be called 3.7.1.1 or 3.7.2. :grumble:
I suspect they thought that since no new features were added it wasn't worthy of a new version #.

--janak

mf24
03-27-2004, 05:50 PM
I've tried 3 times to install the new build. I don't get any error messages, the install just ends and when I check Help > About it still shows build 3244. (even after a reboot)

robert_biggs
03-27-2004, 06:48 PM
These last 2 builds crash my PC everytime. :( I'm running Win98SE & had no problems before with earlier versions of ActiveSync. These last two builds will install & sync fine until I reset my PC. Upon rebooting, ActiveSync fails to connect with the PPC sitting in the cradle. When I remove the PPC & re-cradle it, the PC immediately crashes everytime. Anyone else with Win98SE having similar trouble?

mhowie
03-27-2004, 08:14 PM
So what are the advantages to this version of 3.7.1 versus 3.7? I realize this version of 3.7.1 corrects some (all?) of the bugs which were introduced with the initial 3.7.1 effort, and many of us "downgraded" back to 3.7... but, if 3.7 is working fine is there any sense in "upgrading"?

Thanks,

Jonathan1
03-27-2004, 08:58 PM
You know I think I may very well die of a heart attack the day Microsoft graces the masses with an Activestink 4.0 release 8O We’ve been on 3.0 for how long now and there doesn’t seem to be any real urgency in MS’s plans for the software other then to languish in the realm of mediocre software.

The year: 2036 New for Pocket PC 2036 ActiveSync 3.9.0.0.3.32!!!

Janak Parekh
03-27-2004, 09:11 PM
You know I think I may very well die of a heart attack the day Microsoft graces the masses with an Activestink 4.0 release 8O
My guess would be that you'll see the next major MS sync update as part of Longhorn, based on the Longhorn previews I have read. But I have no clue. ;)

It's worth mentioning that ActiveSync is a very legacy application -- there are still bits that are based on the (now ancient) Windows CE Services code. It's amazing how much MS has managed to keep working given its legacy.

--janak

KAMware
03-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Ok, I used google to look up RAPI, but didn't totally uncerstand it (talk about understatement :oops: )

RAPI is a programming api used to write applications that communicate with the PPC from the PC via ActiveSync. Like all my ThemeMakers.

ctmagnus
03-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Figures. I downgraded to 3.7 hours before the announcement was made.

DaleReeck
03-28-2004, 07:36 PM
I've tried 3 times to install the new build. I don't get any error messages, the install just ends and when I check Help > About it still shows build 3244. (even after a reboot)

Me too. Another smooth ActiveSh1t experience :evil:

Jonathon Watkins
03-28-2004, 09:03 PM
This new build worked for me fist time - no problems at all! :)

diesel
03-30-2004, 10:39 AM
the new build install worked for me as well however it seemed to "hang" on 92% for quite a while (few minutes) but eventually finished the install. if it seems to have "hanged" for you guys, just wait it out and see if it eventually installs instead of killing the process

FrancoC
04-03-2004, 01:31 AM
If you find that your set-up ends at 92% and you get a message that file copy error "'c:\documents and settings\{your name}\local\temp\ixp000.tmp\core\inf\wceusbh.cat'" cannot copy file, you're in luck. I found this solution on another webpage; The guy paid Microsoft $35.00 for the following info:

First you need to remove all temp files manually, especially those in the temp file mentioned above. Look in "C:\windows\temp\" delete those too.

Look in "C:\windows\inf\" and delete all "oem*.*" files that have a 0KB size.

Note: I was using Windows 2000 which did not have msconfig, so I found a copy at this website:
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

You need to click "Start" then Click "Run" type "msconfig" and enter. Check "selective Startup" uncheck process SYSTEM.INI File, Uncheck WIN.INI File.

I could not do the following step, but it worked for me anyway: Click on "Services" tab, then check box "hide all Microsoft Services"

Click apply, then ok.

Restart, and run the Acivesync 3.7.1 install software.

You cradle should not be connected until told to do so by the software installer.

At this point you should be asked to start a partnership by the wizard.

Good Luck :)

Jonathon Watkins
04-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks FrancoC, that was very helpfull.

Welcome by the way, good to see you! 8)

jensenjb
04-18-2004, 10:06 PM
I used to get an error on every other boot of my laptop where Activesync would fail to start -- wscomm error of some type. If I restarted, it ALWAYS worked a second time. After researching this for hours, I found a mention that Activesync and Norton Antivirus don't always play well together. Interestingly, ever since installing this latest build (thanks to this website because MS sure didn't advertise it well on their site!) I have not had the problem once.

Anyone else have this problem cured by the latest build?

By the way, the previous post on hanging at 92% is dead on. It takes minutes for it to continue but eventually does.

Brad