View Full Version : How many PPC sites do you visit frequently?

Godsongz
03-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Just curious. When I got my 3835 a little over 2 years ago I spent a LOT of time in many PPC-centric websites, and the usenet newsgroups too. Spent most of that early time lurking, reading and studying. I have cut that back dramatically, and now when I look at my favorites list of PPC sites I realize that PPCT is the only site I visit daily, and the only one I've visited at all in perhaps the last month. How many are you on?

Kati Compton
03-26-2004, 06:32 AM
I seem to barely have time for *this* site nowadays, let alone visiting anywhere else. 8O

Falstaff
03-26-2004, 06:35 AM
Every day I check in at Brighthand, PalmInfocenter, Geek.com, /. (the headlines are e-mailed to me), and here. But PPCT is the only place I actually browse the forums at. I always know that if PPCT isn't the site breaking a story, they will at least link to other PPC sites, so coming here means I don't have to go to a bunch of other sites to stay informed.

Trimac20
03-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Pocket PC thoughts is by far the best forum relating to Pocket PCs. In fact, apart from the very few others like Pocket PC Magazine forum are almost empty: if you post a question, you'll be lucky to get a reply within a week, whereas here you can get several within a day. I have to congratulate all who run this on offering us a very good webpage for news, help.etc.

socrates63
03-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Since getting back into the swing of things in the PPC world this year, I've been primarily visiting the forums at PPCT, Brighthand and PDArcade. I've been a lurker for several years and just started posting this year.

In past years, I frequented most of the major PPC sites (e.g., PPCPassion, PocketNow, PDAStreet, WinCECity) regularly.

As was already mentioned, I visit PPCT first because if it isn't breaking the news itself, it at least has links to the latest news and reviews.

Zack Mahdavi
03-26-2004, 08:21 AM
I visit Pocket PC Passion, Brighthand, Palminfocenter, but this is the only site I visit on a daily (more like hourly) basis... and it's the only site I post on! :) It's truly an awesome site..

Stephen Beesley
03-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Five or more for me :D

PPC Thoughts (of course), Tekguru, Jenneth, PPCW.net, PPC Passion and who knows what else!

....must know ALL the details.....

Steven Cedrone
03-26-2004, 01:40 PM
For the most part, just this one. I do follow off-site links to the front page articles, but usually I just stay here and read the new posts...

Steve

Jeff Rutledge
03-26-2004, 04:49 PM
I spend the bulk of my time here, but check Pocket PC Tools a couple of times per day as well. I also check the Pocket Informant boards every couple of days.

Janak Parekh
03-26-2004, 04:58 PM
As a news editor, we get everything and then some as news submissions under the sun (and we appreciate it!), so I rarely check other sites for headlines. I do stroll through PPCP and Brighthand, though, about once a week just to see what's "happenin'". ;)

--janak

buckyg
03-26-2004, 05:24 PM
I visit some of the other big ones, like PocketPC Passion, Brighthand, and a couple of others maybe once a day. I check here several times a day. Looks like I'm in agreement with folks: This is the place to go if you want to know the important PPC news and stuff.

drop
03-26-2004, 05:32 PM
I vist PPCT almost daily, several times. Go to aximsite pretty regularly as well.

omikron.sk
03-26-2004, 09:45 PM
I used to read only www.palmare.cz and www.palmserver.cz , which are half-to-half related to PPC and POS. Then I found PPCT and now I sometimes even forget to read a palmare.cz and palmserver.cz because of PPCT. :wink: I really like the frequency of articles coming to PPCT - there's always something to read here. KEEP IT GOING!

pocketpcfox
03-27-2004, 02:49 AM
This is a great one stop shop. I'm too busy for any ppc surfing.

dh
03-27-2004, 03:10 AM
I visit this site every day, often now on my Sprint VM4500 phone where the Netfront browser is pretty good for the mobile forums. I love this phone by the way, it really is a thing of beauty.

I also check out Brighthand from time to time, just because they have a broader coverage of the different types of PDA. Although I no longer use my Palm Vx, I am interested in handhelds in general, not just PPC.

Having said that, this is the only handheld device forum I post at, other than the rare post at Smartphone Thoughts. To be honest, I would rather have a Smartphone forum here than have to go to the other site since PPC and Smartphone (MS version) are so closely related. I'm also interested in Smartphones generally, not just MS ones. With that new PPCPE that seems to have WM2003 software and Smarthone hardware (plus a touchscreen which is sadly lacking on Smartphone), the difference between PPC and Smartphone is getting very blurred anyway.

For cellphone interest, I visit sprintusers.com and howardforums.com.

From my mobile devices, the Sprint phone and my Axim, the only sites I really visit are this one and the BBC news.

Glohamar
03-27-2004, 04:58 PM
My main visit is here, everyday throught the day. During the week I stop over at Brighthand, Pure Pockets (http://www.purepockets.com), and Tek-Tips (http://www.tek-tips.com) (Tek-tips because I get alot of my Microsoft Access question answered there and I help in their PPC forum when I can (always directing them to visit here of course)). And when I think about it I stop at some of the others to see what is happening, like PPCTools, PPCP and Geek.com

Mitch D
03-27-2004, 08:37 PM
My main two site are POcketPCThoughts (my homepage) and AximSite.com. Both of which I read daily although I am at PPCT almost 2 to 3 times an hour where as I go to AximSite.com once or twice a day. I do stop by PocketPCTools and PocketPCPassion every other day.

Kowalski
03-28-2004, 06:21 PM
to add one infosyncworld is a cool site. also checkout pdabuyersguide
i find that brighthand is not regularly updated

senfeng
03-29-2004, 02:34 AM
I usually visit this site, iPaqabilities, and Pocketgear daily. I skip over to other sites once or twice a week, but spend most of my time here.

c38b2
03-29-2004, 05:22 AM
I find it's easier to digest large volumes of sites quickly with an RSS aggregator. I subscribe to 14 feeds (8 are PDA sites) and it takes me about 5 minutes to pick out the stories worth reading and read them, whereas visiting each individual site was quite time consuming. So I guess you could chalk me down under the 5+ option even though I don't always visit the actual site. :wink:

Aerestis
03-29-2004, 07:14 AM
I'm pretty happy with this site every few hours and brighthand once every few days

chunkymonkey75
03-29-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm addicted to PPC websites! I go to this one and Brighthand at least a couple of times a day!!

ntractv
03-30-2004, 03:55 AM
This site is my homepage at home and work. I usually hang around here all day reading topics and posts that catch my eye to keep me up to breast with all thing PPC going on. (Not quite really all day since I'm on the tax payers dole). I will admit, I also tend to go over to PDABuzz about once a month (since that is where I started with all things PPC until the situation with Wes, but, was redirected here when the ship was abandoned). If not here, I follow the links off the front page of PPCT.

dean_shan
03-30-2004, 04:58 AM
With PPCT why would I need to go anywhere else? Plus I think the community is better here.

Jon Westfall
03-30-2004, 05:29 AM
PPCT is my primary site. I also visit xda-developers.com and ppcw.net. Used to visit pcphonehome and tekguru but don't really anymore. I'm sometimes guilty of being on PPCT for more than an hour or so a day ;)

Pat Logsdon
03-30-2004, 07:29 AM
I'm sometimes guilty of being on PPCT for more than an hour or so a day ;)
Only an hour? An HOUR?!?

You mean there are periods of time when you're not here? And not just when you're sleeping? :huh:

How can people LIVE like that? 8O :wink:

Jon Westfall
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
I'm sometimes guilty of being on PPCT for more than an hour or so a day ;)
Only an hour? An HOUR?!?

You mean there are periods of time when you're not here? And not just when you're sleeping? :huh:

How can people LIVE like that? 8O :wink:

Really, when you think about it, an hour on 1 site that's all forums is pretty amazing. I open the page, hit New Posts and scan for topics that are of interest to me, read them, reply a bit, and leave - 10 or 15 min. So an hour means I"m here 4 times in 1 day, and more means... well, 5 or more visits...

I guess if I got an avatar half as cool as yours Pat, I'd be here more...

piperpilot
03-30-2004, 01:17 PM
PPCT is by far the site I visit most often. I check the forums two or three times during the day and when I get home from work at night. I also visit iPAQ HQ and PDArcade quite frequently and PocketGamer usually once a day.

Now, if we're talking about non-PDA sites, the winner by a wide margin in the Drudge Report, but that's another story all together.

As far as PPC sites are concerned, PPCT is king of them all :way to go:

dmjames
03-30-2004, 06:14 PM
I just visit two sites on a regular basis, (each evening after work) this one of course and tekguru.co.uk. I am new to the forums, but enjoy contibuting whenever I can. Will have alook at some of the other sites mention in the contributions to this forum.

Don't Panic!
03-30-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm one of the 5+ people.

Pocket PC Thoughts (www.pocketpcthoughts.com)
Pocket PC Passion (www.pocketpcpassion.com)
PocketNOW (www.pocketnow.com)
Brighthand (www.brighthand.com)
PocketGAMER (www.pocketgamer.org)
Dave's iPAQ via Mazingo Text Service
The Gadgeteer (www.the-gadgeteer.com)

Are my every day stops. :helpme:

Don't Panic!
Bobby