View Full Version : Sandisk SD WiFi + Memory Coming Soon

Janak Parekh
03-26-2004, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://brighthand.com/article/SanDisk_Combo_Card_Coming_Soon' target='_blank'>http://brighthand.com/article/SanDi...ard_Coming_Soon</a><br /><br /></div>"Though SanDisk's Wi-Fi SDIO card has proved to be popular, many users of single-slot devices have hoped for a version that combines wireless access and some storage. SanDisk has good news for these people. When using the Wi-Fi SDIO card in an iPAQ h1945, for example, it isn't possible to also use a memory card, as both use the Pocket PC's single SD slot. That's why SanDisk has developed a Wi-Fi SDIO card that also offers 256 MB of memory."<br /><br />The article goes on to say that WM2003 didn't have support for SDIO + memory at the same time, and that Sandisk was waiting for an update. I'm hoping it was referring to WM2003SE (the article was published Tuesday), and as such Sandisk will be ready to ship this unit shortly.

Paragon
03-26-2004, 12:30 AM
The article goes on to say that WM2003 didn't have support for SDIO + memory at the same time, and that Sandisk was waiting for an update. I'm hoping it was referring to WM2003SE (the article was published Tuesday), and as such Sandisk will be ready to ship this unit shortly.

Yes this is apparently true. WM2003 SE will support the combo cards. Sorry I can't remember where I read it so I can't give you a link.

Dave

jt3
03-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Okay... maybe this is a silly question, but the way I understand it, it's not the operating system's job to support any of these devices... isn't that what DRIVERS are for? I can't see why a driver can't be made that supports both functions. True, it may be easier with the new OS for some reason, but I can't see why it would be IMPOSSIBLE without an OS upgrade!

Paragon
03-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Okay... maybe this is a silly question, but the way I understand it, it's not the operating system's job to support any of these devices... isn't that what DRIVERS are for? I can't see why a driver can't be made that supports both functions. True, it may be easier with the new OS for some reason, but I can't see why it would be IMPOSSIBLE without an OS upgrade!

The problem is reading memory and IO off the same slot, at the same time.

Dave

yunez
03-26-2004, 12:38 AM
last time they said this was coming out "soon" was a full year ago.

Ed@Brighthand
03-26-2004, 12:56 AM

While a driver can do a lot, the OS has to help out. Otherwise peripheral makers have to write specific drivers for each handheld model, and that's just too much to ask.

ombu
03-26-2004, 03:20 AM
OK, lets see if they deliver a way to turn off WiFi radio, they don't with their 128+ CF. :bangin:

maximum360
03-26-2004, 04:16 AM
I'm looking forward to SD GPS + Memory...

Maybe in another year or so :roll:

soda97
03-27-2004, 05:40 PM
how bout bluetooth + memory?

Steven Cedrone
03-27-2004, 11:41 PM
how bout bluetooth + memory?

Not sure if they would bother to develope this. Most new Pocket PC's have, or will have, Bluetooth built in.

Steve

soda97
03-29-2004, 12:01 AM
i thought they would make that first or at the same time
at least is good for toshiba e705
i still think pda (or laptop) + bluetooth phone is the perfect wireless for now

casiouser
03-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Wonder if this will work with Pockt pc 2000

Janak Parekh
03-31-2004, 05:20 AM
Wonder if this will work with Pockt pc 2000
8O Name one Pocket PC 2000 device with SD support, let alone SDIO. Devices like the Casio EM-500 don't count, as they had MMC slots, not SD slots.

(In short, definitely not. Sorry. :()

--janak