View Full Version : More WM2003SE Shots From PPCW

Janak Parekh
03-25-2004, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1846' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1846</a><br /><br /></div>Looking for more screenshots, including the phone dialer for Phone Edition in landscape? Look no further -- Arne has a useful little article up on his website. :)

juni
03-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Ok, now I want the upgrade - and especially that new theme :)

WillyG
03-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Nice to see more screenshots, and im looking forward to try this out.

One thing i came to think of after reading Brighthands overview of MSWM2K3SE (love that name, almost as good as Paonelm One :roll: ), is the MRU area of the startmenu. In Ed@brighthand writes:

"There is a new section in the Start Menu which will display the most frequently used applications. This is divided from the list of applications that appear because they are stored in the Start folder."

Most Frequently used applications (MFU)? This is exactly how it works in XP. Is this really what he meant? In that case there is change from todays Most recently used applicationslist (MRU). I kind of like the idea, but this will pump up the need for a buildt in task swicher even more.

omikron.sk
03-25-2004, 12:01 PM
I still haven't seen how do the input methods (keyboard, letter recognizer, ...) look like in the landscape mode. Anybody have the idea?

hoffm11
03-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Is "Second Edition" a free upgrade or will we have to order the CD from the OEM?

ctitanic
03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
well, I guess Janak killed ppcw.net :D
I canīt access their page any more, Iīm getting a database error!

Venturello
03-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Me too, mySQL error. Now instead of geeks slashdotting sites, we have us pocketpcthoughting sites? :lol:

Arne Hess
03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
well, I guess Janak killed ppcw.net :D
I canīt access their page any more, Iīm getting a database error!
Nope, it was a "mobile geek" (me), working on a "serious device" (Windows 2003 Server)... :oops:
Sorry, should be back soon...

joelevi
03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
"There is a new section in the Start Menu which will display the most frequently used applications. This is divided from the list of applications that appear because they are stored in the Start folder."

Most Frequently used applications (MFU)? This is exactly how it works in XP. Is this really what he meant? In that case there is change from todays Most recently used applicationslist (MRU). I kind of like the idea, but this will pump up the need for a buildt in task swicher even more.

I thought Pocket PC 2003 (er, "Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket Sized PC Devices that Usually Really Do Fit in Your Pocket", did I get it right?) already had this functionality in the icon-bar across the top of the start bar (the little icon's of programs).

Maybe this was just the "last programs used" rather than the Most Frequently Used Programs, but it seems a bit better use of real estate than devoting an entire section of the Start Menu (several lines) to it, rather than the one line that the old way used...

Of course, I haven't seen it in action, so I might be plesantly surprised. ;)

ppcsurfr
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM

I thought Pocket PC 2003 (er, "Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket Sized PC Devices that Usually Really Do Fit in Your Pocket", did I get it right?) already had this functionality in the icon-bar across the top of the start bar (the little icon's of programs).

Maybe this was just the "last programs used" rather than the Most Frequently Used Programs, but it seems a bit better use of real estate than devoting an entire section of the Start Menu (several lines) to it, rather than the one line that the old way used...

The MRU or Most Recenly Used list has been moved only for the Portrait mode. In the Landscape mode, it retains it's left to right orientation of icons only...

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

WillyG
03-25-2004, 04:20 PM

The MRU or Most Recenly Used list has been moved only for the Portrait mode. In the Landscape mode, it retains it's left to right orientation of icons only...

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

I take that as we are still talking about a MRU- not MFU-list

Arne Hess
03-25-2004, 04:23 PM
Nope, it was a "mobile geek" (me), working on a "serious device" (Windows 2003 Server)... :oops:
Site is back and running well again (http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1846)... "These mobile device geeks which thinks they can also play with serious stuff"... :oops: :wink:
Thanks to Calin - my site developer and good friend - for fixing it for me!

ricksfiona
03-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Anyone know of an HP device that will have a VGA screen AND 128MB/WiFi/BT? Can't give up my 128MB!

nic
03-25-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm really excited about being able to adjust the font size.

I'd really like to see menus in the start menu too.

It has already been asked, but I'll ask it again: does anyone know about what the upgrade status is going to be? Is it going to be a free upgrade? Does it depend on you vendor? I'm using a iPaq 1945. What do you think it will be given pocket pc's past? (I'm pretty new coming from palm about 6 months ago)

joelevi
03-26-2004, 01:08 AM

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

I take that as we are still talking about a MRU- not MFU-list

Okay, sorry for the extra-long quote section...

To make sure I'm getting my acronyms right, on the current WM2003 we have a single icon row with the MRU (most recently used applications), right?

On WM2003SE is that's being (or supplimented?) with an MFU (most frequently used applications) section? Or is the current single line of icons being replaced from it's current(?) MRU to the new(?) MFU?

Even though I said it, I didn't even realize the difference until you pointed it out! Thanks!!!

joelevi
03-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Site is back and running well again (http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1846)... "These mobile device geeks which thinks they can also play with serious stuff"... :oops: :wink:
Thanks to Calin - my site developer and good friend - for fixing it for me!

Regarding the input panel, in your screenshots it looks like the same old SIP keyboard, but in some screenshots there is a new look to the keyboard, all rounded-looking. Is the "3D button style" user selectable? Where do you select it?