View Full Version : Text Messages

yawanag
03-25-2004, 03:33 AM
My T-Mobile phone bill was astronomical this month. I was charged 0.5 for a zillion Text Messages. I don't send Text Messages, don't even know how.
Some of these were made in the wee hours of the morning when I'm in bed.

When I called T-Mobile, someone said it was probably a program I have that updates the weather or stock quotes. I use Journal Bar, have had it for almost a year so I can't believe that this would just be happening now.

Question? Does anyone else use Journal Bar and is this true that you are charged for the weather updates?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Janak Parekh
03-25-2004, 03:54 AM
Hmm. You have an original Pocket PC Phone Edition, right? I had a weird experience like this, and here's what happened:

I was enabled to receive MMS (multimedia messaging service) messages on my T-Mobile account -- which worked great with my T68. This meant any email forwarded to [email protected] went through MMS channels. However, the Pocket PC Phone Edition doesn't support them -- if MMS messages are sent to the device, it "wakes up" spontaneously, but never says there is a new message.

Since the PPCPE never picked them up, they kept on coming to my device, one after another, and I had a zillion too. Unfortunately, I couldn't make heads or tails of this with T-Mobile support -- they had no clue what was going on, and they barely know about MMS. I ended up stopping the use of my forwarding address, and eventually the messages stopped. (I then switched to Verizon, so I didn't have a need to pursue this further.)

BTW, I didn't have Journal Bar... so I don't know if the above situation has anything to do with you, but I thought it might be worth recounting. What's the "source" # of these addresses on your bill? Also, doesn't Journal Bar use GPRS anyway? That has nothing to do with SMS...

--janak

spacerace
03-25-2004, 01:40 PM
I use Journal Bar and a couple of comments would be:

I don't think Journal Bar updates via text messages. It updates via an internet connection (WiFi, Cradle, GPRS) and receives its data directly from the Journal Bar internet web server (or similar)

Secondly Journal Bar only try's to update itself when it detects an internet connection is available (and its due to update). I don't think it will initiate an internet connection itself, but I don't have a Phone Edition so can't be 100% certain of this.