View Full Version : 2215 ROM Update and SD card problems

woffles
03-24-2004, 09:34 PM
What did Microsoft do to how the 2215 interacts with an SD card? Never had any problems on 1.00. On 1.10 the menu is usually missing the icons for anything installed on the SD card, it just shows default icons. Pocket Informant doesn't see any of it's icons installed on the SD card. Also PI isn't seeing the notes on my system. The old notes program still shows them but I can't get to them from PI. Just installed the upgrade for PI and the same result. This seems to be some kind of timing problem during startup. If you change the menu as someone else noted the icons come back, but it's temporary. I have a SimpleTech 128 and have never had a problem with it before. Would writing to HP help you think?

Jeff

AlwaysNovice
03-26-2004, 05:47 PM
I have the same problem. After upgrade to 1.10, the start menu does not show the icons installed in SD Card. And I used SD card to store the inbox attachments to "\SD Card\AppData\Inbox" by modifying the value of AttachPath in \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI on 1.0. But if I set this on 1.10, new directory named "\SD Card\AppData\Inbox" was created in the system storage memory and the original SD card was named as "SD Card2". So Inbox couldn't find the attachments. I had to set it to "\iPAQ File Store\AppData\Inbox" to free my main storage memory.

Anyway, cLaunch, the today launch plugin can show the icons installed in SD card. I suppose that the shell or something managing the start menu and MAPI may be launched before mounting the SD card and the today plugin may be launched after mounting. Just my guess.

CESkins
03-26-2004, 06:27 PM
I suppose that the shell or something managing the start menu and MAPI may be launched before mounting the SD card and the today plugin may be launched after mounting. Just my guess
Your idea is likely the correct one. I never put any shortcuts for storage card apps in the start menu nor install Today plug-ins to the storage card for this reason. Storage card speed may also have something to do with it as info can be retrieved much faster for cards w/fast I/O controllers. Initialization of these cards may be faster too.

AlwaysNovice
03-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Your idea is likely the correct one. I never put any shortcuts for storage card apps in the start menu nor install Today plug-ins to the storage card for this reason. Storage card speed may also have something to do with it as info can be retrieved much faster for cards w/fast I/O controllers. Initialization of these cards may be faster too.

I put only 1 shortcut installed in SD card to the start menu. This is a trivial problem because the utility is very small, so I can install it to the main memory.

But the serious problem is the mail attachments directory I described in the previous post. I had about 3.5 MB mail attachements now since all the newsletters including PPC Thoughts digest were converted to HTML file and attached automatically to its original message by Outlook script to be read later. So if I can not store to SD card, I have to store to iPAQ file store. Then iPAQ file store will be full with this attachments.

I've just hard reset to confirm this problem. The same result. I have Panasonic 256MB 32X SD card and there was no problem at all on 1.0 ROM. I found that some users have the similar problems on BrightHand.com. But no solution until now.

CESkins
03-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Panasonic cards are by report fast and reliable (on par with Lexar Media cards). I therefore doubt the card is the problem (however some Dell models did have problems with SanDisk cards requiring OS updates to solve). Initialization order of memory by the OS may be the problem. Does the same problem occur when you turn the PDA off/on or only just after a soft-reset/hard-reset?

AlwaysNovice
03-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Does the same problem occur when you turn the PDA off/on or only just after a soft-reset/hard-reset?

I don't know whether it has the same problem when turning it on since SD card is mounted as "SD card2" after soft reset. If I set the inbox attachment path to iPAQ file store, it will be mounted as "SD card" and works well while turing it off/on.