View Full Version : video playback on 2215 (or any ppc for that matter)

sp0om
03-24-2004, 03:20 PM
hello. im getting slightly unsynched video playback on divx movies. all programs are shut down except for the player i use (pocketmvp) and i still get less than satisfactory playback. the movies i watch are coming off of a cf card. i would like to think that my 2215 would be capable of playing back movies perfectly. is there any way to make them playback more smoothly?

also, sometimes the movies completely freeze up and i have to turn off the unit, and turn it back on. kind of a pain in the butt. is this a problem that other people experience too? if so, is it the software that is causing this, the 2215, or both??

tia

omikron.sk
03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
I've got the same "problem" on my h2210 also with PocketMVP. However this is caused, because Pocket PCs are barely able to play video in these "strong" codecs. Performance is different from device to device (any Asus seems to be the far more powerful in this) and from movie to movie resp. the compression, overal settings and even encoder used to encode actual movie.

About "freezing" in the middle of the movie: I've had similar problem, with my old CF when playing music, after consluting with manufacturer technical support I recieved new one (the same type) in exchange of my old and now everythig works fine when playing movies and/or music.

Ripper014
03-24-2004, 11:18 PM
If you are trying to play movies encoded for your PC you are going to have this issue... YOUR ppc does not have the same processing power as your PC... you will need to re-encode the video so that it plays smoothly...

Mitchybums
03-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Movies run well on the 2215 units.
you just have to make sure the bitrate of the video doesnt go too far over 250kbps. there are numerous programs to re-encode the video to a lower bitrate, and adjust the screensize to make it play nicely on the ppc.

If the screensize is bigger then 320x240, the device has to scale the image down, and that takes processing power.
Basicaly keep this rule in mind for playing files (dont flame, it's just a basic rule !) around 128mb per hour of video plays good on a 2215 and is pretty much the best video quality for pocketpc usage. Also a framerate adjustment is giving good results. 15fps is due to the quality of most screens barely different from 24-30 fps

Chingyul
03-28-2004, 02:06 AM
I heard the video on the 2215 is slower? True?

In any case, anything I could play on a 3835, I should be able to play on the 2215?
Considering getting a new PDA :mrgreen:

omikron.sk
03-28-2004, 08:16 AM
I don't think so. H2210 is surely stronger than your old h38xx at least because of Intel Xscale PXA255 400MHz processor.
However h2210 seems to be strange. It has a mediaQ graphic chipset, that someone says is the pooriest thing in the world, the others say it's great. Personally I've never seen any game that performed under 25-30fps on my h2210. Movies sometimes drop to 15-20fps if they are poorly encoded. But I'm sure that everything you are able to view on your 38xx you'll be able to view on h2210 with at least +5fps.

MitchellO
04-15-2004, 08:06 AM
I have found the files over 20fps have trouble. I encode all my videos at 20fps when using DivX. I use PocketMVP too, and when I reencode videos, I use PocketDivXEncoder (http://divx.ppccool.com/) and select:

* Video Quality 6
* Audio Quality 2
* 20fps (in Advanced Options)
* Portrait Orientation (Picture of the 19xx in Portrait)

This works fine for me. I get 45 minutes into about 65MB. I looks great too!

OneAngryDwarf
04-22-2004, 12:53 PM
If you want to watch fluid video on your pocket pc (synch'd w/ audio too)... check out this program... first one i've found that really works for me (takes DVD's and makes avi's - i think xvid)... not many settings to even choose from so you should be able to get the hang of it within a couple tries... its also pretty fast... works great on my 2215... people always comment on it... Pocket-DVD Studio... well worth th money i spent... never found another program that can truly do it well for the 2215... can be found at http://www.pqdvd.com/

nategesner
04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
I did a lot of research before buying my 2215 back in the fall, and I couldn't find any PPC that ran video faster than the 2215. I've put video on a CF card and SD card and the videos played back just fine using Pocket TV, Pocket MVP, and Windows Media Player.

I just purchased a 1GB card and will be trying full-size movies in a couple days. I create the movies using PocketDivxEncoder, which is one of the easiest programs I've found. A 90-minute movie is about 150MB (can be smaller or larger depending on quality) and plays back on Pocket MVP. I've created several movies and watched them on my PC and they look great. I'll post an update once I've watched them on my Ipaq.

ppcsurfr
04-26-2004, 05:37 PM
I don't think so. H2210 is surely stronger than your old h38xx at least because of Intel Xscale PXA255 400MHz processor.
However h2210 seems to be strange. It has a mediaQ graphic chipset, that someone says is the pooriest thing in the world, the others say it's great. Personally I've never seen any game that performed under 25-30fps on my h2210. Movies sometimes drop to 15-20fps if they are poorly encoded. But I'm sure that everything you are able to view on your 38xx you'll be able to view on h2210 with at least +5fps.

I've tested both the 1940 and the 2210 side by side... and guess which performs batter with WMV files...

Yep... the 1940.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo