View Full Version : MacResQ iPod Battery Replacement Report

ChristopherTD
03-24-2004, 12:58 PM
My iPod is now 2 years old and the battery is slowly fading away, but here in the UK replacements are not cheap. MacResQ recently launched their DIY kit for only $45, including a special tool to open the iPod. With the exchange rate very favourable I ordered this directly from MacResQ and it arrived this morning.

I took a deep breath, then using the slim plastic chisel supplied with the battery, I cracked open my iPod (fatally wounding my warranty) and replaced the battery.

This slightly alarming procedure (iPods are not meant to be opened and the original battery is glued to the hard disk) went quite smoothly. My iPod is one of the 1st generation ones and therefore much simpler to disassemble. The new battery is in place, and it will be interesting to see if it returns to the 10 hours I used to get. The old battery was down to 2 or 3 hours, depending on the type of music (speech or song) but more crucially, it wouldn't hold a charge from day to day. If I recharged it overnight it would be fine for the next day, but would quickly deplete if left unused.

The replacement battery was US$45 (about £24) which compares favourably with the £80 Apple are rumoured to be charging here when they eventually release a replacement battery program in Europe.

So far, so good...