View Full Version : Purchased eBook from amazon.com... how to read on iPAQ?

lkawamot
03-24-2004, 03:09 AM
I just purchased an eBook online from amazon.com. I went to the download link they had emailed to me using my iPAQ (since this is where I'd like to install the book). However, I get an error stating that I either don't have MS Reader installed, or it's not activated -- I upgraded my ROM and have the latest MS Reader (2.2.3) for PPC and have also activated my copy of the reader (start up splash screeen says "activated for blahblahblah").

Thinking that I was smarter than the system, I decided to install MS Reader on my desktop machine. I activated it and proceeded to download the eBook from amazon -- voila. The book now shows up in the library......... but it's on my desktop... :(

How do I transfer it to my iPAQ?!? Or did I screw myself up and am now stuck having to read it on my desktop?

dh
03-24-2004, 03:20 AM
You should be able to copy and paste the file onto your Ipaq using Explore in Activesync. I keep all my eBooks on my CF card.

ironguy
03-24-2004, 04:14 PM
I found an issue with some DRM MSReader books. I d/led the book, everything was activated but couldn't get Reader to open the book. Got the same errors you mentioned. I did a soft reset of my PPC and Reader opened the book just fine. Strange to say the least.

lkawamot
03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks... I found it and was able to copy it on to my iPAQ. For the benefit of others that might run into similar problems...

on the desktop: MyDocuments\My Library\*.lit

on the iPAQ: Create a 'My Library' folder in 'My Documents' and copy the .lit file into the newly created folder.

Jorgen
03-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Actually you can drop it anywhere and use any directory name (mine is called "LIT") you like on the PPC or your card.

Jorgen

Stephen Beesley
03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Hmmmm - now were have I seen that Icon before.....

Completely off topic, but how do you find the PPC after the Newton?

doc
10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm having pretty much the same problem. I bought an ebook off of Amazon. Once I finally got the desktop version to activate I downloaded it from Amazon's "Digital Locker".

Now I can open it on my desktop, but where did Amazon place the actual book? I can't seem to find it anywhere in Explorer. Searching for it only turns up the name in the IE history. In order to transfer the file I have to know where it is.

I can't download the file through PIE because it won't let me log in to the Amazon site.

Just another frustrated eBook reader.

disconnected
10-08-2005, 03:33 AM
I think it should be in My Documents/My Library.

doc
10-08-2005, 04:42 AM
That's where it was. Thanks. The windows search didn't find it because it added a [1] to the file name :roll:

dMores
10-11-2005, 06:55 AM
uhm ... next time you search for something on your hard drive, do not enter the filename you think it should have, but be a little less specific.

you get more unwanted search results, but you also catch things like the [1] :)

doc
10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Yup, I did a Windows search for Shorty and it didn't find anything. Windows search isn't exactly the most reliable search sometimes.

doc
02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Argh! I bought a new PPC-6700 so I installed and activated the latest MSReader. I then copied over some of my DRM'd books and if I open any of the DRM'd books Reader will crash. It doesn't crash when I open the same file on my desktop.

chrisah
02-11-2006, 01:23 AM
Argh! I bought a new PPC-6700 so I installed and activated the latest MSReader. I then copied over some of my DRM'd books and if I open any of the DRM'd books Reader will crash. It doesn't crash when I open the same file on my desktop.

Doc:

Did you have any trouble with your install or activation? An unusual configuration? Any other apps open at the same time as the Reader that might be causing a conflict? If you would like to contact me offline I would be happy to assist you with this issue further.

Sincerely,
Christine - Microsoft Reader Team