View Full Version : Who uses the ScotteVest?

townsendtribe
03-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Well, I finally did it. I ordered a Scott-e-Vest (http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/version25_blue.shtml) from the clearance sale. I have been watching the discussions about this for a couple years now, and will happily be receiving mine by the end of this week.

I am curious as to who has one already, and what your impressions are. I ordered the version 2.5 (I'm too cheap for version 3.0).

Those of you that have one, do you use it all the time or just special occasions? I plan on using it all the time, but am not sure if I want to always have the added weight... I suppose I will know more once I wear it for a while with all my stuff tucked away in it... Your thoughts?

Sven Johannsen
03-24-2004, 05:25 AM
I'm sure Brad will wade in on this. I think he even has special order e-undies. I had the 2.5 version, which I gave to my son, when I got the 3.0.

I got the 3.0 and the fleece. The quality is every bit as good as a high end Columbia or North Face setup plus it has all the features. I'm not sure if I didn't actually like the fabric on the 2.5 version better than the 3.0. The 3 is more of a nylony feel, ski jacket sort of thing, and the 2 felt more like a soft dense cotton. The fit is very good and it really doesn't feel like it weighs you down with stuff loaded in it. I do wear it as an every day jacket (when I wear a jacket) and there are some features that I just love. The outside chest pockets are perfect for my PPC and cell phone. Phone in the left (I'm right handed) and PPC on the right, so I can get it out with the left and grab the stylus with right.

I think you will be very happy with your purchase.

ironguy
03-24-2004, 04:10 PM
I've wanted one for years and my wife surprised me at Christmas with a 3.0 and a cap. I love them!

Here are my 'nits':
the nylon lining tends to run easily
static, static, static

My problem is I keep forgetting where I put things!

BTW, a Starbucks 16 oz thermos fits perfectly in the water bottle holder in the left pocket! :wink:

Kati Compton
03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
static, static, static
8O

In something designed to hold electronic gadgets?

Maybe the next version will have a liner made out of those anti-static bags that come with computer hardware. :)

hollis_f
03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
It is fantastic for air travel. I can stick all of my electronic goodies in it and just send the jacket through the X-ray.

Last year a friend discovered another use when his hand luggage was deemed overweight. We just tranferred a few kg from his bag into my Scotty's pockets (two books and a large bottle of water got him under the limit).

Dave Potter
03-26-2004, 05:07 PM
How warm are these? Are they a light to medium weight late spring/summer/early fall type of jacket - or - more of medium to heavy weight late fall/winter/early spring sort of thing?

hollis_f
03-27-2004, 08:13 AM
How warm are these? Are they a light to medium weight late spring/summer/early fall type of jacket - or - more of medium to heavy weight late fall/winter/early spring sort of thing?
In Summer I wear it sleveless over a t-shirt. Spring/Autumn the sleeves go back on and a fleece top goes over the t-shirt. In Winter the sleeves come off again and I wear a proper coat over the top.

One warning - the version I have (2.0) doesn't handle getting wet. If it rains hard enough the water will soak through to wet items stored in external pockets.