View Full Version : Settings Migration Wizard

Jason Dunn
03-23-2004, 12:33 AM
I'm moving from my iPAQ 4150 to an iPAQ 4350 (now that I finally have a case for it - three cheers for <a href="http://www.senacases.com/">Sena</a>!), and it's time to start getting things set up on the new device. Re-installing programs is a relatively simple matter with the Add/Remove Programs functionality in ActiveSync (except for those developers who require a unique key for every install :?), but I'm finding that the biggest hassle is getting things set up is all the data re-entry and settings customization. User information, user settings, and worst of all, re-entering all the info required for five different email accounts. Ack! 8O So here's something that would be cool - perhaps a developer can create something like this - a tool that would allow for the migration of settings so setting up a new Pocket PC would be easier. Would you like to see a tool like this, even if you only used it once a year or so?

felixdd
03-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Why not just do a backup on activesync for the 4150, and restore that image onto the 4350?

g.arcinotti
03-23-2004, 01:01 AM
--cut-- Would you like to see a tool like this, even if you only used it once a year or so?

Hy Jason,

this type of tool should be soo useful, just think about an hardreset (I make it two times a year for cleaning my device) or transfer settings to another device.
And think if the users who want to partecipate give to the developer the account info about that kind of email setting so to create a big data base of so much account and connection settings.
Microsoft should think about it I think.
Byez

chunkymonkey75
03-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Would this be close to what you are looking for?

http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_clone.html

It's basically cloning software for PDA's. I'm not sure if there is something for multiple models or not...

ignar
03-23-2004, 01:07 AM
and worst of all, re-entering all the info required for five different email accounts

Sounds like a good chance to practice the thumbboard. :D

BTW, the link for Sena case is wrong.

Steven Cedrone
03-23-2004, 01:20 AM
BTW, the link for Sena case is wrong.

Fixed!

Steve

Pat Logsdon
03-23-2004, 01:21 AM

It's basically cloning software for PDA's. I'm not sure if there is something for multiple models or not...
It looks like that would work, but unfortunately, you have to buy 10 at at time. At $10 a pop, that's $100! 8O

adamz
03-23-2004, 01:57 AM
I've been trying to write my own CAB file that automatically puts in all my preferred settings and owner information and whatnot, but it hasn't worked out so great yet. I can get it customize the notifications alarm settings. I can get it to shut off the animated menus and install a Windows Media Player skin. I can also get it to show/hide certain Today Screen items. But for some reason I can't get the owner information to auto-install. Nor can I shut off certain default sounds. My GPRS connects will be created, but without the APN names. :(
I'd love to have something to auto-configure my email accounts as well... especially since those are always corrupted when restoring from a backup on Windows Mobile 2003. I wonder how this website does it and if those files can be put into a CAB file that I can keep on my ROM: https://www.mywindowsmobile.com

bigkingfun
03-23-2004, 01:59 AM
I usually use Pocket Controller Pro to reconfigure everything after a hard reset or an upgrade. A settings migration tool would be useful, but until there is one I find it fairly quick to reconfigure everything from the desktop with Pocket Controller.

I also made a list in List Pro some time ago with all the settings I need to enter, programs I need to load, email accounts I need to configure, etc. I always seemed to forget something before that and would always realize it wasn't set up properly when I needed to use it. I have a list for my main PC as well, along with a "pre-reinstall" checklist for making sure I don't forget to back something up before formatting. It makes the whole process much smoother.

ctmagnus
03-23-2004, 02:45 AM
I also made a list in List Pro some time ago with all the settings I need to enter, programs I need to load, email accounts I need to configure, etc. I always seemed to forget something before that and would always realize it wasn't set up properly when I needed to use it. I have a list for my main PC as well, along with a "pre-reinstall" checklist for making sure I don't forget to back something up before formatting. It makes the whole process much smoother.

I do the same. The PC part of it came in quite handy yesterday!

chunkymonkey75
03-23-2004, 03:23 AM

It looks like that would work, but unfortunately, you have to buy 10 at at time. At $10 a pop, that's $100! 8O

ouch....nevermind.

pacemkr
03-23-2004, 03:56 AM
I am planing to start developing softaware for pocket pc soon. Before I even finished reading Jason's post I realized that a setting backup feature would be a nice one to include. Or at least state which file contains the settings so people can back it up. So when I do start developing, I'll make sure some implementation of this is included. :wink:

disconnected
03-23-2004, 04:52 AM
I think this would be really useful, but it should also give you a list of all the apps it's restoring settings for so you could bypass any leftover stuff from apps you've installed and then uninstalled.

Jason Dunn
03-23-2004, 05:27 AM
Why not just do a backup on activesync for the 4150, and restore that image onto the 4350?

Um, because it's a different device that that wouldn't work? :wink:

Jason Dunn
03-23-2004, 05:30 AM
I think this would be really useful, but it should also give you a list of all the apps it's restoring settings for so you could bypass any leftover stuff from apps you've installed and then uninstalled.

Yeah, I wouldn't want it to re-install "crud" from leftover apps - I'd really only want the registry entries, Inbox account settings, user info, etc.

coliv77
03-23-2004, 05:30 AM
I have not tried it, but according to the review this program might do the trick.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2437

Let me know if it works.

fyiguy
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
I know Jason's lamentation well, it is a time consuming task of making sure you have all that you had on your previous device just the way you like it. Moving from one device from another can be done fairly easily if you have stored the majority of your applications on a memory card. I also copied my Windows/StartMenu Directory, so I will keep all of my shortcuts to those programs and games stored on my storage card. Otherwise it can be a pain to reinstall all these programs again... Another good tip is to also copy your Favorites for PIE as well on your Storage card as well as having an encrypted/password protected text file with all of your e-mail account settings that can easily be cut and pasted into the appropriate fields.

However there are those rare few programs that require some writting to the registry in order to function correctly and require reinstallation or overwriting on the card either through program installs through Activesync(if it isn't on a new computer) or the original install files if you still have them archived somewhere. Then goes the long process of entering in your keys(a program like e-Wallet comes in handy here), but then again there the rare instances where the passkey is generated off of your devices serial number or other unique characteristic of your PPC and you will have to contact the software vendor for a new code. So save your email receipts of all your software, otherwise you may be purchasing another copy... Sometimes reinstallation can be a good thing in that you may be installing an updated version that you would never had found out about.

Also I recommend backing up every so often during various "transfer" states in case a hard reset my need to be done to correct a bad installation.

I have tried Cab Backup which is good for about 80% of the applications I tried it with,but there were a rare few that it didn't work 100% with.

There are also reconfiguring your settings for your wifi and BT access with your new device, that also have to be re-entered as well,which may or not be as simple as it was the first time. As far as the synching of contacts,calendar, email etc. that is pretty effortless.

The 435X is a great PPC to have... :D and a migration tool would be a great utility for some software company to come out with, but it looks like it would be a huge undertaking and would have to be constantly updated when new devices come out...

P.S.

The Sena case is a great addition to the 4350, if anyone is interested I have a review of it here:

http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=159

:mrgreen:

iPAQ_ace
03-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Egad! Yeah a migration tool would be great. There's nothing more fun than trying to get all your settings transfered from your old to new pocket pc...

disconnected
03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Yes, the WiFi and Bluetooth settings are definitely the scariest -- I always start out thinking that, for once, I'll be methodical and write down every step I go through, but there's so much trial and error involved that by the time I finish I've totally lost track and it just seems like a miracle when it finally works.