View Full Version : Power By Hand Acquires PocketGear.com and Smartphone.net

Jason Dunn
03-22-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.powerbyhand.com/press/releases/04_0322_pbh.html' target='_blank'>http://www.powerbyhand.com/press/re...4_0322_pbh.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Power By Hand, the leading source for handheld content, information and education, today announced that it has completed the acquisition of PocketGear.com and Smartphone.net, the industry-leading sites for third-party software for the Windows Mobile platform. These acquisitions will complement Power By Hand's content catalog of more than 60,000 applications and digital media titles and its current network of online mobile storefronts including PalmGear.com and PalmDigitalMedia.com. The acquisitions reinforce Power By Hand's commitment to the mobile content marketplace, and provide Windows Mobile-based Smartphone and Pocket PC users with a dedicated and reliable source for content, information and education."<br /><br />I hadn't heard before Power by Hand before today, but they're the company behind PalmGear.com, so some of you ex-Palm users have likely heard of them. Consolidation is a natural market event, so this will hopefully be good news for consumers. :way to go: Maybe they'll put PocketGear on faster servers now. :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
03-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Whew. For a minute there I thought Power by Hand = Handango. 8O

freitasm
03-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Hope they make good... Palmgear was plagued for a while with really bad customer service. They even created something similar to the MVP program to have users helping other users, and did work long.

They then bought PalmMedia (which I used since it was peanutepress.com, wow this is a LONG time ago :roll: )...

Let's see if Powerbyhand can make this work fine. It's going to be hard for them I think, because Handango has everything under one roof.

PPCMD
03-23-2004, 03:41 AM
Maybe they merge all of the software sites to go into one site like Handango has so they will actually offer a competive advantage.