View Full Version : convincing my friend that having a ipaq is not a waste

jook00
03-22-2004, 08:57 AM
what are the reasons why we have ipaqs?
- to look at pictures
- to play games
- use powerpoint to show my sheet music to play guitar.
what else can i say to convince my friend?

Darius Wey
03-22-2004, 12:06 PM
bop him/her on the head. it works.

or you can have a totally sick game running on it, listen to music in front of them, and have all these documents you can access at the click of a few buttons while they're trying to find their paper versions. :wink:

chunkymonkey75
03-22-2004, 01:50 PM
How about as an organizer? To keep track contacts, tasks, and appointments.

To the wrong person, a PDA is an utter waste of money. It seems about half the people I know that get a pda, don't even end up using it after a couple of months.

I'm the PDA support guy where I work. I've had the pleasure of having many different types of PDA's over the last 5 years. It wasn't until I was given an iPaq 3850, that I was really hooked. I was expected to give it back, I really missed that one. That's when I decided to buy my own iPaq (2215).

Ripper014
03-22-2004, 10:18 PM
Why do you need to justify your PPC to your friend. It is you who needs to be convinced that it is what you need.

Jacob
03-23-2004, 12:12 AM
I agree with Ripper - you are the only one you should need to justify it to.

For me, it's a calendar and task list that I don't have to buy new paper for or deal with handwriting that I can't read two days later.

It's also smaller than most day-planners.

It is just about any book that I want it to be. In fact it could be many ;)

It's the most portable dictionary I've every seen.

It keeps track of my personal information in a more organized fashion than I ever have before.

It keeps track of my car's repair/maintenance history and tells me when I need to take it in again!

Some of these things require extra software, but still.

woffles
03-23-2004, 12:54 AM
Surfing at wireless access points. Have a bluetooth gps that I use for mapping, works great. Just bought topo software for hiking and geocaching. Contacts, appointments, reference papers handy, bejeweled and other games, journal bar keeps my weather on the today page, easy to take notes when out and about, no need to look for paper and pen, ewallet keeps all my passwords handy, 2215 works as universal remote, carry around family pictures of my new grandson, reads pdf files so I can carry around manuals, clearvue reads word documents, can play a whole dvd on it, tells the time. I'm sure others have other uses for theirs also.

DigitalD
03-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Up until last last year I never thought I use a PDA

That was until I lost a note pad (I carried everywhere) with $2000 in follow up sales. :evil:

It's great not having to worry about illegable phone numbers I wrote yesterday (cause I was in a rush).

Plus no pages to get all beat, bent, worn, and smuged

jook00
03-23-2004, 08:52 AM
one problem, i feel so flashy busting it out in front of people. I liek to keep it hidden.

WyattEarp
03-23-2004, 06:08 PM
You don't need to justify it to anyone. Most people who feel they must ask you to do so don't want to understand anyway. Don't hide it, it's yours. Use it freely and enjoy.