View Full Version : Schematics Drawing software

I0's
03-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Hello
I am an Electronic Engineering student and do own a IPAQ 5550. I was wondering if there are any software in the market right now that can draw schematics or run circuit simulations like Electronic Workbench or Multi SIM.

THx

DaViD_BRaNDoN
03-21-2004, 10:43 AM
I saw an advert on IEEE Spectrum magazine about LabView for PPC. If I'm not mistaken, I has features that you're looking for. I'm looking for PPC software that can do circuit simulation as well but I haven't try out LabView though

Ripper014
03-21-2004, 09:30 PM
If your just interested in drawing schmatics.. then I would suggest you look at PocketCAD... there may already be symbols available for you to use.

I have not looked at it since the original version... since I was a user of the desktop program I found the PPC version hard to work with because of the size... but it seemed to work ok.

Robb Bates
03-22-2004, 07:13 PM
I am actually working on a schematic and PCB layout software right now. I'm doing it in my spare time and I have no immediate plans to sell it. But I'll keep this forum updated once it nears completion. I'm working on the PCB part of it right now since I do board layout for a living and wanted to be able to do it on my PPC.

These won't be very fancy. No simulation on the schematic side, it'll just do simple schematic capture and netlisting.

PM me if you want more info. But keep in mind, I'm not a professional developer and I'm doing this mainly for my own use.

Robb

I0's
03-23-2004, 01:43 AM
THx guys for your great help

Robb Bates, very happy to hear that someone is working on something like that, even if its not a advance program that's still great news, its a great start. would not mind being a beta tester for u :D .

Robb Bates
03-23-2004, 03:41 PM
OK, you've got it.

I already have some ideas on what to include. I've put a crude summary on my website. PocketPCB (http://www.robbnodie.com/pocketpcb.html)

It's far from completely spec'ed out. But I do have some preliminary working code. Mainly graphics rendering.

If you have any requests on specifics, please do let me know and I'll see if I can include them. There's nothing to get you motivated quite like having someone breathing down your back. :wink:

Of course, like I said, this is being done in my (very little) spare time. So don't expect anything to pop out in the next week or so.

Robb

that_kid
03-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Wow this would be great, I could then create some designs while I'm bored at a company meeting :D. Plus it's easier to carry my ppc than my laptop.

Robb Bates
03-23-2004, 04:43 PM
That's the whole idea. I looked and looked for something like this and couldn't find anything, so I decided to write my own.

Give me input on what you'd like to see in a program like this. I know what I want, but someone else may have some other great ideas.

Robb

I0's
03-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Robb Bates sorry, i am going to disappoint u here

since i just started my electrical engineering program therefore i am just learning the basics and so far what ever we do is all on breadboard, but have used PCB but very seldom, never made one thou. keeping that in mind i would not be able to help with ideas :( concering PCB but may be i could help u with the schematic part if i can play with the program caz somethings are still new to me and technical terms i have never heard off.

i apologize for wasting ur time but i wished i could help

Robb Bates
03-25-2004, 03:45 PM
No sweat. I'm going to school myself for my EE, even though I already have a lot of experience in that area. I just have to get that piece of paper saying I know the stuff.

But I'd still welcome your input. It's always nice to get new original ideas from folks who haven't been "spoiled" by experience. There won't be any of that "That's the way we've always done it" ideas.

Robb

rhmorrison
03-25-2004, 04:53 PM
It's always nice to get new original ideas from folks who haven't been "spoiled" by experience. There won't be any of that "That's the way we've always done it" ideas.
Yeah! Don't listen to that old fuddy that says that wheels should be round - you can still make square wheels if you want to...

After a year or two you might even decide that triangular wheels are much better because they only have three bumps per rotation instead of 4, a 25% reduction!!

:way to go:

Robb Bates
03-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, and make the wheels out of concrete and make the roads out of rubber. :lol:

Robb