View Full Version : I was almost seduced......

dh
03-20-2004, 08:22 PM
There I was in Circuit City today, playing with the sexy Toshiba e805. It has so much going for it, great screen, VGA, oodles of memory, both card slots. I was very, very close to actually buying one.

There were a few reasons that I didn't however. I know that there are new models ot arrive soon, including possibly a replacement for the e805 itself. I believe, maybe one of those, with proper VGA support would be a better way to go.

I must also confess that the e805 seemed to be a bit on the cheap side. The build quality is not as good as my old Axim X5, it feels kind of light and flimsy. I've read on Brighthand about cracks developing in the casing. In my hand, it did not feel like a $600.00 product should feel, even with all the great features.

So I left without one. The X5 still does everything I need, but I am feeling that a new spicy relationship with something else would be good for me. In any case, Circuit City is only a few minutes away, I can always go back and be seduced again. :ppclove:

Janak Parekh
03-20-2004, 08:52 PM
I must also confess that the e805 seemed to be a bit on the cheap side. The build quality is not as good as my old Axim X5, it feels kind of light and flimsy.
I can see this. :) It's also slightly boxy. And don't get me started on the d-pad. :roll:

--janak

Jon Westfall
03-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Here's a sure fire way to make yourself think twice about buying one: Write the charge down in your ledger or checkbook, look at the new total... and then decide if you liked the old one better...

Usually works for me.

dh
03-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Here's a sure fire way to make yourself think twice about buying one: Write the charge down in your ledger or checkbook, look at the new total... and then decide if you liked the old one better...
Now that's a good way to think about it. :lol:

Thing is, I would have happily handed over the payment, if I was 100% certain that the e805 was worth the money. It seems to me that it has a $600 specification fitted into $300 hardware so it just doesn't work for me. And of course, the VGA implimentation is a bit of a bodge at the moment, even with the hacks that are available.

Now, if it was built like an HP 5550 or even my Axim it would have been in my room charging for a few hours already. Indeed, add a CF slot and VGA screen to the 5550 and it's very close to my ideal PPC. (Must have CF, with 1.5GB on my Axim between my two cards I'm not going backwards for anything).

So come on HP, Toshiba, Asus, Dell or whoever, where's my next Pocket PC?

buckyg
03-21-2004, 02:54 AM
Was just roaming through the local Compusa, had a gift card, too. It was burning a hole in my pocket. It wasn't enough to buy a new PPC but I was tempted... But then the updated OS will be out soon and I did need to pick up some other stuff, so I did the "wise" thing.

Yeah, the more I looked at the way the e805 is built, the less I'm impressed by it.

Zack Mahdavi
03-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Yeah, i agree. The old Toshibas seemed to be so solidly built, albeit kind of boring looking. But their build quality impressed me. When I saw the new e405 and e805 in person, I was less than impressed by their quality. They seemed flimsy and plastic-y to me. So I ended up buying an iPaq.. :)

dh
03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
So I did go back to BB, but didn't get the e805. My wife has been wanting an LCD TV for the bedroom and they were on sale this weekend.

When she gets back this afternoon, she has a nice 17 inch Samsung already set up and ready to go.

Hopefully, a tempting new PPC will arrive on the scene before too long.

Janak Parekh
03-21-2004, 08:42 PM
To fill your gadget addiction, right? I find that I get that itch once a year or so... :D

--janak

Ripper014
03-21-2004, 09:17 PM
I hear the new Asus A730 is around the corner... with all the bells and whistles... it may be the new leader on the block.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/2350.html

Zack Mahdavi
03-21-2004, 10:01 PM
So I did go back to BB, but didn't get the e805. My wife has been wanting an LCD TV for the bedroom and they were on sale this weekend.

When she gets back this afternoon, she has a nice 17 inch Samsung already set up and ready to go.

I've been wanting to get an LCD TV as well, but I've been put off by their prices. Which model Samsung did you get and for how much? Thanks!

Falstaff
03-22-2004, 12:53 AM
To fill your gadget addiction, right? I find that I get that itch once a year or so... :D

--janak
You only get that itch every year? I get it every 5 minutes....

Janak Parekh
03-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Let me rephrase it: I can usually hold off for about a year at a time. ;)

--janak

dh
03-22-2004, 02:04 AM

I've been wanting to get an LCD TV as well, but I've been put off by their prices. Which model Samsung did you get and for how much? Thanks!

This one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055388005317&skuId=5564828&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03007
My wife loves it, so it looks like I made a good choice. Now where's that Asus 730?

Stephen Beesley
03-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Like others here I am holding off on buying a new PPC until I see what is around the corner after the much talked about OS upgrade. While the e805 has a tempting feature set at the moment I think it will soon be matched or surpassed by others. I much prefered the look of the Toshiba e7xx series something about the colour and button placment makes the e800s look a bit too toy like for me. The new Asus vga device looks pretty cool - now I wonder when one might arrive in my neck of the woods and how many of those hard earned Euros it will sell for?

spinedoc
03-22-2004, 02:52 PM
I had the e805 for about a month, I thought the build was pretty decent. I carried it around with me everywhere in that month and it survived with not even a single scratch.

I sold it on ebay though because it was just way too large for everyday use, and the VGA functions were so hard to get working properly. I have high hopes for the asus, since it is only slightly longer and thicker than the 2215. Even better I am holding out to see what HP has up their sleeves.

jnajera
03-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I also had the e805. Very cheaply made the housing on mine started breaking. Called Toshiba and they said I had to send it in to get it fixed, but they had no idea when they would send it back(short on parts and units) So I sold the darn thing thing,plus the buttons really bite! Know I am hearing they are charging people to repair the housing! Terrible support! If you must have vga, wait! I think the Asus will be very nice.

Kati Compton
03-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Let me rephrase it: I can usually hold off for about a year at a time. ;)
Must... wait... for new... devices/OS...

dh
03-23-2004, 12:33 AM
I remember saying I would never buy anything from Tec and Toys. But.......
.....if they have pre-ordering on the A730 - well here's my credit card. I read the notes on Brighthand today and it seems to be the bollocks, everything I'm looking for at last. I'm glad I didn't go for the e805.

Look at the pictures here: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/2350.html

The only downside will be if a WiFi version isn't available from day one. I don't need BT currently.