View Full Version : reinstalling windows ce 2003

spiff721120
03-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi,

I just got myself a new HP IPAQ 1940, and i would really like to know how do you go about in reinstalling the Windows CE operating system.

Furthermore, HP didnt provide with it a reinstallation CD, so i 'm a bit lost here... first time using it. Thannk alot guys

Janak Parekh
03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
There's nothing to reinstall -- the OS is built into the device. What exactly are you trying to do?

--janak

prismejon
03-20-2004, 08:52 PM
The operating system is installed in the ROM (Read Only Memory) of the device. So to reinstall the operating system all you have to do is perform something called a "hard reset", which will reset the device to the state that it was in when you bought it. Take a look in your manual on how to perform the hard reset.

There is also something called a "soft reset" which will reset the device without erasing anything, but just close all open applications.

Good luck!

spiff721120
03-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks for that prompt replies guys... :D

However.... I was more after the reinstallation method, just in case if i want to load linux into my HP IPAQ 1940 later....

And also... just in case if i want to upgrade my Windows CE 2003 to 2004 version later........

How do you do that, anyway? does microsoft provides a cd to upgrade and reinstall? :O

Thanks again for all your help :D

Janak Parekh
03-21-2004, 07:46 AM
However.... I was more after the reinstallation method, just in case if i want to load linux into my HP IPAQ 1940 later....
Ah. In any ROM flashing situations, you'll want to do a "backup" first. Any such flashing instructions should include steps on how to do this.

How do you do that, anyway? does microsoft provides a cd to upgrade and reinstall? :O
HP would provide the option to purchase an upgrade CD if they decide to offer one for your iPAQ.

--janak

spiff721120
03-22-2004, 02:15 AM
Thanks for all those prompt replies guys.... :D

You guys are the greatest.........

One more question.... :) Do any of you 've seen how the HP CD OS upgrade packet works?

Does it clear away the exsisting ROM info with the new OSes?

:D

Janak Parekh
03-22-2004, 02:47 AM
Do any of you 've seen how the HP CD OS upgrade packet works?
Yes. There's a backup option and an upgrade option. The upgrade option replaces the current ROM contents with the ROM they've bundled on the CD. A hard reset is then done after the ROM upgrade.

This is, of course, assuming an upgrade is issued for your iPAQ.

--janak

spiff721120
03-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Thanks Janak,

Can we not use any generic windows ce to run on an HP IPAQ?

Cheers.... :D

Ripper014
03-22-2004, 03:11 AM
Actually the Hp1940 series has a new update available for it at the Hp Website... you can find it there if you are feeling brave... Flashing your rom is like flashing the bios on your computer... so do you feel lucky...?

Janak Parekh
03-22-2004, 03:12 AM
Can we not use any generic windows ce to run on an HP IPAQ?
No -- not trivially. First off, Pocket PC isn't Windows CE. The default Windows CE doesn't look anything like Pocket PC's UI. Second, you'd have to build a "custom build" of WinCE for your iPAQ, which would also involve getting drivers for all the hardware. Between obtaining Platform Builder and using it, it's not feasible unless you've got money to invest and are building a custom vertical-market platform on top of the hardware unit.

In addition, you cannot use Pocket PC upgrades for another Pocket PC on your iPAQ. Drivers, etc. are different.

--janak

Janak Parekh
03-22-2004, 03:12 AM
Actually the Hp1940 series has a new update available for it at the Hp Website... you can find it there if you are feeling brave...
Right - but it's more of a bugfix update than anything else. A different Pocket PC OS is another matter entirely.

--janak

spiff721120
03-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Thank you so very much guys :D