View Full Version : Avantgo increases "free" limit to 3MB....

Mark_Venture
03-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Avantgo is offering an increase in the amount of data you can sync for free. You can now sync up to 3MB. (limit was 2MB before).

For current user's to get the additional 1MB, goto www.avantgo.com/update Just review your profile, update if necessary, and save it. Your limit will be increased to 3MB right then.

I do not see details as to 1. Is this a limited time offer? or 2. Does this offer apply to users who do not already have an account?

Steven Cedrone
03-19-2004, 08:15 PM
As you know, AvantGo is advertiser supported. To keep our service free and our advertisers happy, we need you to take a few minutes to update your user profile. This will benefit you too since we will be able to tailor new channel recommendations, features and messages to your needs and interests.

Your reward for filling this out today is an account upgrade from 2 MB of memory to 3 MB so you can add more great AvantGo channels, at no extra charge!

Please select at least four interests.

I think it's just for today???

Steve

Dave Beauvais
03-19-2004, 09:21 PM
If you pay for the annual 8 MB premium service as I do, taking the survey will extend that option for an additional three months, free of charge!

I normally don't like doing all this marketing/demographic stuff, but if it will help keep AvantGo afloat, I don't mind. That's the main reason I pay for the 8 MB upgrade even though I never use even half of it.

Mark_Venture
03-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Not sure about just today, but that is exacty what it said yesterday afternoon when I did it.

Steven Cedrone
03-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Not sure about just today, but that is exacty what it said yesterday afternoon when I did it.

Heh, O.K.! Well, I guess it's "get while you can"!

Steve

tRiBaLmUnKy
03-19-2004, 10:24 PM
yeah, i guess it's not working anymore, i just finished doing the upgrade and it said i was successful with my upgrade to 3 MB, but I still see 2 MB in my account limit....

adamr2k
03-20-2004, 12:46 AM
I just did it and it still works

Zack Mahdavi
03-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up! Just got my limit increased today.

tRiBaLmUnKy
03-20-2004, 10:44 AM
what the hell...

i'm still not seeing it, i must be missing something...

Iznot Gold
03-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Excellent...just worked for me too...Thanks
David

Zack Mahdavi
03-20-2004, 05:27 PM
what the hell...

Hmm.. it should be as easy as going to the link mentioned above, completing the survey, and clicking Submit. You should get a message saying "THank you!" In the meter bar, the limit should now be 3MB.

minimage
03-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Worked just fine for me a few minutes ago. This move is interesting to me , considering I'd somewhat recently read a thread on a forum where people were predicting the death of AvantGo. I think it had something to do with the synchronization issues many (and I am in that group) had experienced. Many AvantGo users stated that they had given up, had stopped renewing upgrades, etc. For me, it's not that big of a deal; I'll just soft-reset the darned devices (yeah, I have AvantGo on more than one device), but I do understand their points.

At any rate, thanks for the heads-up! I love AvantGo!

tRiBaLmUnKy
03-20-2004, 08:41 PM
what the hell...

Hmm.. it should be as easy as going to the link mentioned above, completing the survey, and clicking Submit. You should get a message saying "THank you!" In the meter bar, the limit should now be 3MB.

nope, i tried again and im still getting the same results

pic (http://www.dslextreme.com/users/lucaben/avant.jpg)

torgamm
03-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Thank you. I just did it : "Thank you! Your update is complete. Your account storage capacity has been increased from 2MB to 3MB. You can now subscribe to more great channels from AvantGo. Enjoy! "

Zack Mahdavi
03-21-2004, 05:14 AM
nope, i tried again and im still getting the same results

pic (http://www.dslextreme.com/users/lucaben/avant.jpg)

That's very weird.. why don't you send them a support email? I'm sure they can change it pretty quickly.

tamir
03-21-2004, 01:33 PM
The same thing happened to me.
I got the message that my account was increased
but I couldn't add channels beyond 2 MB.
Very weird :roll:

buzzard
03-21-2004, 06:56 PM
I updated mine on Friday and didn't check it until today. It says 3,000kb which sounds pretty close to 3mgs. Thanks for the info about the upgrade.

Mark_Venture
03-21-2004, 08:07 PM
The same thing happened to me.
I got the message that my account was increased
but I couldn't add channels beyond 2 MB.
Very weird :roll:
I had some problems adding channels that I thought would not put me over the limit... i.e. I had 2200K selected so far, 3000K max, and tried adding a channel that was shown to be 500K max. But I could not add it. I did however manage to add a 300K max and then a 250K max channel... hmmm...

I've added other channels and currently show as... Account Utilization: 2925 k / 3000 k

WyattEarp
03-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Just renewed my Power User account today and it extended it by an extra 3 months so that's 15 months for the same price. Pretty good since I'll be moving to another city in a few months. I'll need that extra time for other expenses.

naraku
03-29-2004, 03:39 AM
i submitted the survey and it said, "Thank you! Your update is complete. Your account storage capacity has been increased from 2MB to 3MB. You can now subscribe to more great channels from AvantGo. Enjoy!" ...but it still says 2mb. did i miss it?

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 04:58 AM
I wonder if they left the update page up but then cut the promotion off without bothering to change their text.

rock
03-29-2004, 05:22 AM
I emailed them and they said they increase the accounts manually so it will take some time before all are updated. I've been waiting almost a week. If it isn't updates soon I'll e-mail them again and see what they say.

iPAQFanatic
03-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I don't know either. I did it last early last week and I still haven't received the upgrade yet. I've done it several times since then and still no luck. I get the page that says congradulations you've been upgraded to 3mb, but my account status still says 2mb. ? :?:

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 07:21 PM
I emailed them and they said they increase the accounts manually so it will take some time before all are updated. I've been waiting almost a week. If it isn't updates soon I'll e-mail them again and see what they say.

So AG had a automated system to do it and threw it out in favor of manually updating? That sounds like a line of bull. I can't believe that when I hit submit some guy over in AG headquarters saw it and instantly updated my account so that on the next page it said 3000k. They must have overestimated how much storage space people would use and now they have to pay out more than they expected.

tRiBaLmUnKy
03-30-2004, 05:03 AM

So AG had a automated system to do it and threw it out in favor of manually updating? That sounds like a line of bull. I can't believe that when I hit submit some guy over in AG headquarters saw it and instantly updated my account so that on the next page it said 3000k. They must have overestimated how much storage space people would use and now they have to pay out more than they expected.

that's for accounts that don't see the upgrade, they said they'll get to everyone by their next server push, whenever that'll be...

Jon Westfall
03-30-2004, 05:24 AM
I guess something just sounds weird about this - why would some users see it instantly and some not if there wasn't something wrong at AvantGo.

Mark_Venture
03-30-2004, 11:53 PM
well, it seems that they may have raised the channel limit, but NOT the ammount of data you can sync in a 24hr period...

i.e. It was said that you could sync 20 meg per 24hrs BEFORE the upgrade to 3Meg.

However, since being upgraded to 3Meg limit, I'm now running into "Sync Limit exceeded" messages, so are we still limited to 20 Meg in 24Hrs? I think they might not have increased that. :(

Is anyone else seeing this?

I've even adjusted many of my channels to only sync once or twice per day, but that didn't help.

mrkablooey
03-31-2004, 01:16 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/mrkablooey/.Pictures/avantgo.jpg

iPAQFanatic
03-31-2004, 05:30 PM
I got that same message, but my account status still doesn't reflect the upgrade. :?

Dave Beauvais
03-31-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm going to have to check my past credit card statements to see when the service was renewed, but from the expiration date of my 8 MB "power user" service, I don't think they extended my service for three months as claimed, either. I'm fine giving up a little data for something useful in return, but the cynic in me says this was a scam to get people to give up personal information for advertising purposes. I can't imagine a company like AvantGo would risk alienating their users -- especially paying customers who subscribe to premium services -- but they clearly don't have something in order here.

dmjames
03-31-2004, 06:34 PM
I got "Thank you. I just did it : "Thank you! Your update is complete. Your account storage capacity has been increased from 2MB to 3MB. You can now subscribe to more great channels from AvantGo. Enjoy! "

Have been back to the site a feww times, but limit still says 2MB. We shall see if it changes.

tRiBaLmUnKy
04-08-2004, 04:16 PM
w00t!

i woke up this morning to see this email in my inbox:

Dear AvantGo Customer,

I am pleased to inform you that your accounts have been upgraded to 3MB because you filled out our survey. I apologize for the delay in getting this feature added to your account. To thank you for your patience we would like to send you an AvantGo T-shirt.

Please forward your current mailing address to [email protected] so we can get the T-shirt sent. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mike Klobuchar
AvantGo Technical Support Manager
iAnywhere Solutions, a Sybase Company
email: [email protected]

and i verified that i got my 3MB now and a shirt on its way to my apartment, AvantGo is a great company!

iPAQFanatic
04-08-2004, 08:14 PM
, AvantGo is a great company!

I guess they are selective on who and when they apply the upgrade to. I'm still at 2mb after all this time. :(

I don't think they are such a great company, you can't even email their support department without paying for it.

tRiBaLmUnKy
04-08-2004, 10:59 PM
, AvantGo is a great company!

I guess they are selective on who and when they apply the upgrade to. I'm still at 2mb after all this time. :(

I don't think they are such a great company, you can't even email their support department without paying for it.

i didn't pay for support, i went to their support page (http://www.avantgo.com/support/mobile_support/contact.html) and filled out what was necessary and waited