View Full Version : In car Data storage

CoreyJF
03-19-2004, 07:40 PM
I think eventually I am going to build a car computer. Basically my current roadster is simply too small to accommodate a computer, at least the way I would like it to and at an expense I am willing to accept. When I get a larger car I am going to drop a Linux box in there. In the mean time I have trying to come up with ideas for storing large amounts of data to access on my ipaq. Since I am now using a 4155, I can lo longer rely on a pc card HD. So I had an idea which I think would work pretty well and I am wondering if anyone has tried it, or something like it. My battery is in the trunk of my car. I would love the Sony wifi fileserver, which is basically just a slimed down Linux box. I think it is only available in Japan, and my idea would be cheaper. So here was my idea. Get a cheap wifi router and a ximeta netdisk portable HD, listed at tiger direct for $150. Plug the netdisk into the router. Attach both to a converter hooked into the battery and I have a wireless fileserver in the trunk for about $200. I know the router will come on when powered, at least the one I use at home does. I am hoping the netdisk will do the same. Has anyone used the Ximeta? I need to keep it in the trunk since I have a convertible.