View Full Version : Time To Remove Some Seldom Used Emoticons

Ed Hansberry
03-19-2004, 11:00 PM
We have lots of emoticons for use. Probably too many. Lets get rid of 5-6 of them. I'll list 10 in a poll and the ones with the most votes - Off with their heads! :lol:<br /><br />The popcorn guy - :popcorn: <br />Static hair guy - :sunny: <br />Indecision guy - :dilemma: <br />Clued in guy - :i got it: <br />Most overused cliche guy - :rawr: <br />Redundant mad guy - :really mad: <br />Crooked eye guy - :huh: <br />Shifty - :scatter: <br />Colorful smiley - :Fade-color <br />Redundant birthday guy - :bday:

Mike Temporale
03-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Too bad we can only vote once. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
03-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Hey, I liked :rawr:!

--janak

Zack Mahdavi
03-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Hmm... which one should i choose? :dilemma:

Mark Kenepp
03-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Maybe we should do an "Emoticon Idol" :clap:

Duncan
03-19-2004, 11:31 PM
No option for all of them? Except for the basic emotion smilies I find the whole ruddy lot of them irritating beyond belief...

dh
03-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I always thought :rawr: was an annoyed hamburger for some reason.

Kati Compton
03-19-2004, 11:34 PM
I'd like to keep these:

Indecision guy - :dilemma:
Most overused cliche guy - :rawr:
Crooked eye guy - :huh:
Colorful smiley - :Fade-color

Jimmy Dodd
03-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Just what the heck is popcorn guy supposed to represent, anyway?
Ditto for the static hair guy.

OSUKid7
03-19-2004, 11:42 PM
why get rid of any?? Is space really a problem? And is removing one emoticon gonna help any? :roll:

David Prahl
03-19-2004, 11:44 PM
So there I was on my PC, having a snack. :popcorn: I was in a pretty good mood :bday: , surfing around the usual sites, and headed over to Pocket PC Thoughts (my favorite! :Fade-color ).

I saw some eye candy and something about emoticons, so I read it. What? :huh: Ed wants to remove some of them? :really mad:

Well, he's the boss. :rawr: I need to decide which emoticons will live and die this very day! :dilemma: But it's so stressful - knowing that my vote could change the future of the entire site! :scatter:

After carefuly consideration, I finally pick one. :i got it:

Just another day at 'thoughts. :sunny:

dh
03-19-2004, 11:46 PM
why get rid of any?? Is space really a problem? And is removing one emoticon gonna help any? :roll:
True, but it gives Ed something to do on a Friday afternoon. :popcorn:

Pat Logsdon
03-19-2004, 11:48 PM
I like overused cliche guy, myself. I wouldn't mind losing the rest, though.

I've also never really seen the attraction of this one:

:ninja:

I mean, ninjas are cool and everything, but when would you use it? I don't generally feel the urge to slip a katana through anyone's ribs... :mrgreen:

JonnoB
03-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I was going to suggest recently that we add more emoticons to give this community a little more character. How about a vote for 'more emoticons, please!'

David Prahl
03-19-2004, 11:57 PM
I agree! DMT has different emoticons (fewer) - could we combine them?

Jon Westfall
03-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I like them all :(

Ed Hansberry
03-20-2004, 12:30 AM
I was going to suggest recently that we add more emoticons to give this community a little more character. How about a vote for 'more emoticons, please!'
That is the plan, but we need to clear out room on that pop-up window. It is getting to the point many have to scroll to see them.

This is going to be one seriously ugly thread once some of these emoticons are gone. :lol:

Mike Temporale
03-20-2004, 12:37 AM
I agree! DMT has different emoticons (fewer) - could we combine them?

I know that Jason is working on getting the emoticons aligned across all the sites, and not just DMT & PPCT. ;)

HTK
03-20-2004, 12:42 AM
The indecision guy cant leave!

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 12:54 AM
I really like these guys:

Static hair guy - :sunny:
Indecision guy - :dilemma:
Redundant mad guy - :really mad:
Crooked eye guy - :huh:

The others can die to make way for some new blood - if they have to.

How about killing these guys instead?

:bawl: :ninja: :olympic: :google: :pimp: :spam:

Kati Compton
03-20-2004, 02:14 AM
We need the Google one. ;)

What about these:

:devilboy: (it's a duplicate of :evil: )

:microwave: :puppydogeyes: :rainbowafro:

One or two of these could go in favor of the other(s)... :snipersmile: :2gunfire: :armed:

:hippy: :byebye:

:zzz: (we already have :sleeping: )

:pukeface2: (we already have :pukeface: )

:multi: (we already have :onfire: )

:lurking: :really mad: :olympic: :sunny: :bday:

ctmagnus
03-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Static hair guy?!? I thought that was a sun! 8O

Personally, I like :huh: and :ninja:

But whichever ones are cleaned out, I request giving everyone a few weeks warning in case they want to stick them on their own site for their personal use in the forums.

arebelspy
03-20-2004, 02:21 AM
The little shifty guy ( :scatter: ) always annoyed me.. whenever someone puts him in I don't have a CLUE what it means.

Oh and the colon right parentheses, and colon left parentheses.. WAY overused. They've gotta go. ;) :lol: :lol:

-arebelspy

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 02:27 AM

Definitely agree with this. 8) We need *more* emoticons - tasteful ones mind! :wink:

ctmagnus
03-20-2004, 02:27 AM
:pukeface2: (we already have :pukeface: )

But :pukeface2: is so much more amusing than :pukeface:!

And besides, :pukeface: represents a general dislike of a discussion whereas :pukeface2: is intended to be used more along the lines of a dislike of a particular comment(s), hence the direction of the vomit.

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 02:29 AM

Same here - at least that is the way I have been using it myself. It looks friendly and warm. :sunny:

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 02:51 AM
We need the Google one. ;)

Why is that btw?

:devilboy: (it's a duplicate of :evil: )
:microwave: :puppydogeyes: :rainbowafro:
:zzz: (we already have :sleeping: )
:multi: (we already have :onfire: )
:lurking: :really mad: :olympic: :sunny: :bday:

Totally agree with you there Kati.

Hoever, I like these guys: :snipersmile: :2gunfire: :hippy: :byebye:

In the end it comes down to personal prefernce. I think we need more emoticons to make sure that all our bases are covered. :wink:

(Just don't ever take away the 'wink' or I won't be able to post!) :lol:

(And don't take away the 'Laughing one either). :wink:

PeterLake
03-20-2004, 03:24 AM
The others can die to make way for some new blood - if they have to.

How about killing these guys instead?

:bawl: :ninja: :olympic: :google: :pimp: :spam:.
Not the pimp! The whole reason he is seldom seen is because he is too cool for Internet forums on geek technology! (Not me though; Im not cool at all).

Aerestis
03-20-2004, 04:39 AM
I vote that we have an emoticon making contest, or something. I really don't like the emoticons I see on forums and I always wish I could have my way with them. Something cleaner... Nice smooth graphics to match the nice smooth forum.

Ed Hansberry
03-20-2004, 05:24 AM
I vote that we have an emoticon making contest, or something. I really don't like the emoticons I see on forums and I always wish I could have my way with them. Something cleaner... Nice smooth graphics to match the nice smooth forum.Hey, if you want to make some emoticons to replace PHP standard ones that fit in with the Thoughts Empire look... :rock on dude!:

NeilE
03-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Don't forget, you can vote by calling 1-866-43657xx, where xx corresponds to the number of the one you want to vote off.

Or, AT&T subscribers can send "VOTE" via text message to 57xx. Instructions on how to do this can be found at http://www.idolonfox.com/sponsor_att/index.htm.

:lol:

Neil

omikron.sk
03-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Hey, and what about replacing smilies with small smiling Pocket PCs? That would perfectly fit to the interests of this site. (I'm just kidding) :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
03-20-2004, 02:32 PM
You offering to do them then Omikron.sk?

That's really generous of you - we look forward to seeing the results. :wink:

Welcome by the way. 8)

omikron.sk
03-20-2004, 02:35 PM

Same here - at least that is the way I have been using it myself. It looks friendly and warm. :sunny:

We finnaly need the sunny guy! :sunny:
BTW: it must be a sun! If you place this guy in your POST, it places a ( : )sunny( : ) text there!

omikron.sk
03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
You offering to do them then Omikron.sk?

That's really generous of you - we look forward to seeing the results. :wink:

Welcome by the way. 8)
I'm afraid that if I would draw these new ones using my poor graphical skills, soon there will be no one using them anyway.

Thank you for welcoming. BTW: I've been reading PPCT for several months so far but started to post only a few days ago.

griph
03-21-2004, 02:40 AM
We have lots of emoticons for use. Probably too many. Lets get rid of 5-6 of them. I'll list 10 in a poll and the ones with the most votes - Off with their heads! :lol:

Why do you want to get rid of them - does the number of emoticons cause a problem where they need to be pruned? My Vote - leave them alone - they haven't hurt anyone! :splat:

OSUKid7
03-21-2004, 02:43 AM
We have lots of emoticons for use. Probably too many. Lets get rid of 5-6 of them. I'll list 10 in a poll and the ones with the most votes - Off with their heads! :lol:

Why do you want to get rid of them - does the number of emoticons cause a problem where they need to be pruned? My Vote - leave them alone - they haven't hurt anyone! :splat:
yeah, I said the same thing...I really don't see a good reason to delete any. :roll:

Ed Hansberry
03-21-2004, 02:58 AM

Why do you want to get rid of them - does the number of emoticons cause a problem where they need to be pruned? My Vote - leave them alone - they haven't hurt anyone! :splat: It causes the popup window that has them all to get scroll bars even on a 1024X768 screen. Some of our members still use 800X600 and it is even worse. Just design considerations, and some of them are seldom used.... so OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! :twisted:

Jonathon Watkins
03-21-2004, 03:18 AM
How about designing the window to be 800 pixels wide, so the scrollbars will only be vertical like some other forums?

The people that click on 'View more Emoticons", want to see more emoticons by definition. Trimming a few could be good - IF more are added to replace them. 8)

"Let them eat emoticons." :wink:

Ed Hansberry
03-21-2004, 05:48 AM
How about designing the window to be 800 pixels wide, so the scrollbars will only be vertical like some other forums?This is not a discussion so much as a v-o-t-e.

There are a lot of cool icons out there and if we add add add and never subtract subtract subtract you'll eventually suck down 1MB when you open the window.

More voting, less discussion, or as Master Of The Emoticons, I'll issue a decree to be carried out forthwith. :mrgreen:

danesh
03-21-2004, 11:02 PM
I never knew these emoticons existed until I saw this poll!

dean_shan
03-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Die Shifty Die! What does that emoticon even mean?

griph
03-22-2004, 02:55 AM
How about designing the window to be 800 pixels wide, so the scrollbars will only be vertical like some other forums?This is not a discussion so much as a v-o-t-e.

There are a lot of cool icons out there and if we add add add and never subtract subtract subtract you'll eventually suck down 1MB when you open the window.

More voting, less discussion, or as Master Of The Emoticons, I'll issue a decree to be carried out forthwith. :mrgreen:

So ... why isn't there a button for those who want to vote that no icons are removed? I mean - what if the majority want to stay with the status quo. How will you know that. All the other surveys have at least given the option to register a 'non-vote' Sorry - but I'm in an awkward mood (for once)! And as for those with 800 x 600 res screens .... no don't get me started! :twisted:

griph
03-22-2004, 02:56 AM
Or to paraphrase - I want MORE icons! :-)

Kati Compton
03-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I don't care anymore. I finally have my beloved " : P " emoticon.

:P

No more going back, editing my posts and adding :razzing:!

I can finally stick out my tongue whenever I want!

:P :P :P

;)

Jonathon Watkins
03-22-2004, 08:25 PM
:P

:lol:

Nice one Kati!

Intrigue
03-26-2004, 03:01 PM
I hereby declare myself the technology-loving luddite. I don't like any of the animated emoticons as they're distracting and make the page harder to read. For that matter, overuse of any icons is, to me, distracting/annoying.

That being said, it's clear that I'm in the minority here, so I'll just vote for one to go away.

Jeff Rutledge
03-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm fine with any emoticon change, but one. You must swear to never get rid of our good friend Alf!

:alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance::alfdance:

Best emoticon ever!

Zack Mahdavi
03-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm fine with any emoticon change, but one. You must swear to never get rid of our good friend Alf!

Great show! I used to love it..

Jonathon Watkins
03-27-2004, 10:22 PM

OK - so what is Alf? Never heard of a show by that name - now - :nonono:

Zack Mahdavi
03-28-2004, 03:47 AM

OK - so what is Alf? Never heard of a show by that name - now - :nonono:

It's a TV show that ran in the late 80s here in the US..

http://www.tvshows.de/alf/e-main.htm

Now back on topic....

minimage
03-28-2004, 05:17 PM
I missed the voting, but I like the colorful smiley guy. Cliche guy can go. Extra vomit boy can go, as can the afro guys, bouncy-thingy, microwave dude, one of the gun fellows, one of the snorers, shifty, and what is that thing with the pole stretching out of his mouth? Is that supposed to be a jaw dropping? You know, after MONTHS, I think I finally got that one!

Jonathon Watkins
04-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I have to say that Mark Kenepp made very good usege of the popcorn guy here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=232708#232708). :D

Ed Hansberry
04-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Ok, made some changes. I either replaced the icon with its nearest equivalent (like the case with the two sleeping "zzzzzzz" icons) or just made it a generic smiley so we didn't have any dead pics.

I deleted nothing, so if someone is really disheartened at one that has gone to the big smiley graveyard in the sky, then.... :takethat:

:wink: :lol:

Seriously, reply here.

BTW, does anyone use this guy? :jester:

Now, to figure out why the 20 icons on the initial reply/post page are shown. I don't mind beer guy, but always on the front? :|

Jonathon Watkins
04-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Agreed, it would be good if Boozy & Alian could be moved to the back page, rather than the front.

I have been known to use the jester. :wink: