View Full Version : Linksys Bluetooth USB Adapter

IronCobra
03-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Hello, i've been reading on this forum for a long time, but this is in fact my first post. Anyway I upgraded my PDA to a iPAQ pocket PC H2215, I just bought the Linksys Bluetooth USB Adapter http://linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=581&scid=36 , I tried to set this up last night, and i could not. I installed the software, then i configured bluetooth manager to find my PC and to be able to use the LAN in order to surf the internet and Sync, I have not tried to sync my palm yet, but i cannot surf the web. It asks me for a user name, a password and then a domain. I've tried following the steps on the GEEKZONE site, but i guess i must be doing something wrong. At home im running Windows XP Pro. Anyone here can help me out?.

thanks!

Kevin Remhof
03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Couple of things that I found. I'm using a TRENDNet bluetooth dongle and had similar issues.

I found that my main problem was my firewall. I was using ZoneAlarm and it would not allow me to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in XP. After I changed the IP address of my PC, I was able to get it to work. But, I have to disable ZoneAlarm to do this. You might want to check that your firewall can handle ICS traffic.

The other thing I found was that I got the same "user name, password, domain" login screen as you mentioned. Try putting in nothing and hitting OK. That works for me.

Hope these help.

IronCobra
03-18-2004, 08:39 PM
thanks for your reply, after searching for hours i found a couple of other interesting points. I haven't paired up my PC and H2215, i didn't understand that it wanted me to make up a PIN number, since the instrucions aren't too clear, and that they also should be numeric. so im gonna try doing that when i get home. Also Im not too sure if i understood correctly, but you can connect either through activesync, or you can set up the bluetooth network from "my network" place in XP ?........this is really confusing, i might call linksys today when i get home from work and see if they can help me out. anybody else think they can point me in the right direction?.

oh and when it asks me for a user name / password / and domain, on top it says for the BT network......any ideas where i would be able to set this information.....??

thanks!

Jorgen
03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Once you have paired them, you have a normal serial connection (only difference is that it is wireless) so you should be able to connect to your computer via hotsync. Remember to tick the serial line choice in File / Connection Setting in Activesync.

The name, password and domain is probably whatever you normally type in to access your computer.

Accessing the Internet means setting Windows RAS up to bridge between the serial connection (bluetooth) and the Internet.

I can't help with the details - I have set stuff up like this for my Palm Tungsten T but not for a PPC.

Jorgen

IronCobra
03-19-2004, 05:51 AM
okay guys, i uninstalled the software for Linksys, then reinstalled it, and paired the PC and iPAQ, then set up the connection on my XP to allow internet access through other devices, then i went to bletooth manager and set it up there, and BAMM it worked!! 8) ....im actually surprised at how fast it is, from reading here most people were saying that it wasn't fast at all, well i haven't tried to download anything so im sure i'll see it there, but just browsing websites its fast.

NOW last problem, it keeps disconnecting on me....i know i read somewhere something about it, but i don't feel like going back and going through the 39 pages of threads that i read today :| , anyone have any idea?

thanks guys!! :wink:

Jorgen
03-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Great!

Bluetooth is slow compared to Wi-fi and USB, but then again more than fast enough. The Internet will anyway be slower so you will only notice the speed if you copy many large files, eg mp3. The second limitation is the 10 meters range.

However, the geekvalue is more important; I love wireless sync.

Jorgen

woffles
03-19-2004, 09:01 AM
How do you connect up? If I just try to click on the wireless icon at the top of the screen I get dumped a lot. I use the bluetooth icon at the bottom to initiate the connection using connection manager and leave it running in the background. Never drops for me this way.

Jeff

IronCobra
03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
The second limitation is the 10 meters range.

after installation i went from my attic, all the way to the basement, and it was working fine, i browsed and syncronized my e-mail, I also went as far as in my garage to try it, and it was working there too. Note that the other reason why i may say is faster is because im on broadband. so for home its okay now. i definitely need to buy my Wi-Fi card though, so my next question to you guys. What do you use? or recommend i get?.

thanks!

IronCobra
03-19-2004, 02:53 PM
How do you connect up? If I just try to click on the wireless icon at the top of the screen I get dumped a lot. I use the bluetooth icon at the bottom to initiate the connection using connection manager and leave it running in the background. Never drops for me this way.

Jeff

well what i was doing last night was, on my PC i would go to my "bluetooth shortcuts", then i would see my connection there to connect to the network. then i was double clicking it. a second later i get something on my palm that asks me if i want to accept this connection, and i say accept. i haven't tried to activate it through the palm yet, since every attempt before the reinstall didn't work.

i see that my H2215 brings MSN messenger, have you guys tried using that? can i download and use AIM?

thanks!