View Full Version : FTP Xbox to Pocket pc

Wildchild121007
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Ive been looking around a few sites, and being unable to find out any information on connecting an xbox to my pocket pc, ive asking all u smart people out there for help..

I already have a wireless link to my internet connection through my IPAQ 4150, and if possible ftp to my xbox allowing me to save large files through my ipaq. What im saying is i have no PC, and an 80gb hd in my xbox.

Anyway thankyou for reading this, and if u have any queries, email me or reply to my post..

Wildchild....

victore
03-18-2004, 05:34 PM
If you've got a larger HD in your XBox, then you must have a mod chip in there. If you're running EvolutionX or Avalaunch (or possibly any of the dashboard replacements), then all you need is a ftp client for your pocket pc to transfer files. here's a partial list of ftp clients: http://www.pocketpccity.com/software/pocketpc/internet-ftp-datesort-1.html

Jason Dunn
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Wow, that's gutsy! 8O I know of no way to accomplish what you want. An Xbox is an appliance, not a computer - the version of Windows on the box is locked down pretty tight. The only alternative I know of would be for you to put a distribution of Linux on it, which I've seen some people do, but then it would no longer be an Xbox - it would be a Linux box that looks like an Xbox. ;-)

Silly question perhaps, but why not just buy a computer, even an entry-level Dell for $399or something?

Wildchild121007
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks your a star..

And to answer the question, i do have a computer.. at my dads. Ive moved house recently and have no room for a computer, and all i want to do is go on the internet, play a few songs and watch films off the internet.

It may cost a lot , but at the end of the day im walking round my house watching films and going on the internet, all from a little tiny thing resting in my hand, its great :-)

Nice 1 anyway..

Dr Jekyll
03-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Wow, that's gutsy! 8O I know of no way to accomplish what you want.

Sorry Jason, but this can be done with a modded XBOX.

I've just tried it using CedeFTP Demo on my iPAQ 2210, and XBMP (Xbox Media Player) witch uses Filezilla on my XBOX.

Never thought about trying it before, thanks for the idea Wildchild121007. I have over 60gb of MP3's and about 30gb of DivX's on my XBOX, all I need now is a way to stream them from the XBOX then I'll be as happy as a pig in sh**. :D

Jason have a look at this link www.xbox-scene.com to see what the xbox can do without Linux installed, I think you will be impressed. I bought one just for XBMP witch is old hat now, XBMC has replaced it.

Jason Dunn
03-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Jason have a look at this link www.xbox-scene.com to see what the xbox can do without Linux installed, I think you will be impressed. I bought one just for XBMP witch is old hat now, XBMC has replaced it.

That's very cool - I should have known better. ;-) Someone always comes up with a way to hack everything... :lol:

that_kid
03-20-2004, 01:37 AM
Add that with the xbox's price drop to $149.99 and you have alot of people tinkering with things.

Wildchild121007
03-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Ok guys been trying for a couple of days and i am unable to link the ipaq with the xbox, dont no why, the xbox links with the PC no problem, tried lots of different ftp programs for the ipaq, but so far no luck..

If any body else has any ideas, id be happy to try them out, you never no some1 out there may have already done this.

Thanks again for your posts, keep trying...

Dr Jekyll
03-22-2004, 12:32 AM
If any body else has any ideas, id be happy to try them out, you never no some1 out there may have already done this.

I have, read above :)

Im using a LinkSys wireless router, Xbox is plugged into it. Like victore said, EVOX should work too.

What dashboard are you using Wildchil121007?

Wildchild121007
03-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Yea, sorry, getting way ahead of myself..

Yes im using evo on my xbox.

eeksock
03-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Have you tried connecting to your Xbox from your PPC using the Xbox's IP address, rather than the usual "xbox" name? It's possible that the PPC ftp client may not be able to resolve the network name.

eeksock

Dr Jekyll
03-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Have you tried connecting to your Xbox from your PPC using the Xbox's IP address, rather than the usual "xbox" name?

Thats how I done it, used Xbox's IP.

I want more than that now, I want to stream from the Xbox, people are working on a server to do just that :D Hope it happens.

Wildchild121007
03-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Ive been unable to connect to my xbox at all, from one to the other ive tried both ways..

Could u plz go through what software u used and how u did it, thanks..

victore
03-23-2004, 11:41 PM
wildchild, can you connect to your modded xbox from a desktop machine? the username/password combo for a modded xbox running evox is xbox/xbox running on port 21.

Dr Jekyll
03-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Ive been unable to connect to my xbox at all, from one to the other ive tried both ways..

Could u plz go through what software u used and how u did it, thanks..
OK,

Download CedeFTP from this link http://www.handango.com/SearchRedirect.jsp?siteId=1&jid=9A29AFBD2E97FXC73A82636X39C5124A and inatall on your PPC. I dont know how you can install it if you have no PC at home.

Run Evox on your Xbox and check your settings, IP, Password and that FTP is enabled.

Now run CedeFTP on your PPC and go to File, Open.
Enter your Xbox's IP in the Address Field.
Check Port is 21
Untick Anonymous Login
Enter "xbox" in the Name Field.
Enter "yourpassword" in the Password Field (default password is xbox)
Tap Connect.

This works for me in Evox, XBMP and XBMC. I get about 150kps transfer. I have not tried any of the other dashboards at the moment.

Hope this helps :)

BTW, how did you try to FTP from your Xbox to your PPC?

Wildchild121007
03-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Yea ive finally done it, thanks for the help, i understand what u mean by not being able to stream from the xbox.

Ive tried loads of ftp software for my ipaq, none of them worked up till now, it just picks the files up as ini files, strange.

Anyway we need some software that will allow streaming through an ftp, maybe a new version of cebeftp will allow this, ill keep looking and trying, hopefully we will find some allowing for this..

Dr Jekyll
03-25-2004, 12:42 AM
Anyway we need some software that will allow streaming through an ftp, maybe a new version of cebeftp will allow this, ill keep looking and trying, hopefully we will find some allowing for this..
Glad you got it working.

CebeFTP will never let you steam from your Xbox to PPC, you need a stream sever on the Xbox for that. XBMC may get one in the future, but for now it has a webserver so you can control XBMC on your Xbox from a browser on a PC. Sadly this does not work on Pocket Explorer :( but I think it is being worked on :D