View Full Version : ROM Update 1.10 for HP iPAQ 2200 Series

Ed Hansberry
03-18-2004, 01:35 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20498.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20498.html</a><br /><br />The English download is 16.8MB. Other languages will follow soon. This will require a hard reset, so make sure you've done a final sync to get all of your data into Outlook. Restoring from a pre-1.10 backup is not recommended. Fixes and enhancements include:<br /><br />• Corrects the Sleep Mode SD power drain. <br />• Updates the Bluetooth driver to resolve Bluetooth lockup issue. <br />• Corrects iPAQ Backup shutdown after 10 seconds when a backup is scheduled. <br />• All fixes contained in Microsoft Adaptation Kit IIa. <br />• Adds Microsoft Adaptation Kit IIa. <br />• Adds Self-test. <br />• Adds support for the Extended Battery. <br />• Adds support for "Wake on Ring" (NOTE: this requires 3rd party software to function)<br /><br />Note that this will also clear your iPAQ File Store so get a copy of that if you keep important data there. I am not sure what fixes are included in the Microsoft Adaptation Kit. If you Google "Adaptation Kit" on Microsoft's site you'll see lots of references to it in conjunction with End User Updates, or EUUs. This seems to be the way Microsoft is getting fixes back to the OEM and ultimately the user. I still have no idea what fixes are included in AKUIIa.<br /><br />Please fully read the installation instructions.

Peter Foot
03-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Woohoo a *real* rom update. As for whats fixed in "Adaptation Kit Update 2a" I wonder...

Peter

ombu
03-18-2004, 02:34 PM
I hope the Adaptation Kit IIa includes messenger and MS Reader updates, I'll know it this evening.

Regards.

dmy
03-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Ok... so I'l be the first to ask a stupid question.....

Am I better off backing up my data only, load the ROM update, then reload any programs from scratch

Or

backup everything (witht he IPAQ Backup or activesync backup or the like), load the ROM image, then restore it all at once?

Honestly, I've never loaded a ROM update before.... hell... I've never done a hard reset on a device before (ran my Casio for years without one) and need soe guidance on protecting my data.

Thanks much!!
D.

DualShock
03-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Ok... so I'l be the first to ask a stupid question.....

Am I better off backing up my data only, load the ROM update, then reload any programs from scratch

Or

backup everything (witht he IPAQ Backup or activesync backup or the like), load the ROM image, then restore it all at once?

Honestly, I've never loaded a ROM update before.... hell... I've never done a hard reset on a device before (ran my Casio for years without one) and need soe guidance on protecting my data.

Thanks much!!
D.

I've read that people have successfully flashed the ROM without doing a hard reset first. Personally, I did a hard reset before flashing mine, just in case.

As for restoring a backup from an older ROM, I don't think that will work, but I'm not sure as I haven't done it myself.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the upgrade will delete what's in the iPAQ File Store, so don't forget to back that up too.

nicky
03-18-2004, 03:12 PM
so...

wheres the update for 4150 :D

Jimmy Dodd
03-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Hmmm.

No SP2 for .NET CF built in?
No MSN Messenger Update?
No Reader Update?
:?

I was hoping to get those into the ROM and out of my RAM.

On a brighter note, Googling for ?Microsoft Adaptation Kit" shows this very thread as the number one hit. :way to go:

mpattman
03-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Quotes from the old thread : http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25821

Reader is version 2.2.3 (build 3205)
Bluetooth version is 1.4.1 Build 60

The "SpriteWakeUpService.exe" file has a file date of 7/23/2003, and a version number of 1.1.0.6.

oguime
03-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Has anyone applied this update to a non english language iPaq? I would like to convert my brazilian portuguese 2210 to english...

Regards,

Gilson

mvbasilio
03-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Has anyone been able to dowload the patch? I have been having difficulty for the past 30 minues.

Thanks!

mpattman
03-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Has anyone applied this update to a non english language iPaq? I would like to convert my brazilian portuguese 2210 to english...

The changing the language of your iPAQ would be in breach of your EUA, you would need to contact HP for this.

Godsongz
03-18-2004, 03:39 PM
No problem here, I just pulled it down 10 minutes ago. Going through my 2215 now and listing the software installed (another good use for ListPro) so I can bring it all back after flashing my ROM.

medic119
03-18-2004, 03:41 PM
It bugs me that I have to do a Hard Reset. I thought part of the reason MS went to the XUL (or whatever) architecture was so that ROM updates could be loaded specifically where they belonged to avoid having to hard reset the device to do updates.

I have a bunch of crap on my iPaq and it will take forever to get it all back.

Jimmy Dodd
03-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Has anyone been able to dowload the patch? I have been having difficulty for the past 30 minues.

Thanks!

I have without any problem.

I'm upgrading now. I'm at 10%. I can't stand the tension - I'm going for coffee.

Sven Johannsen
03-18-2004, 04:02 PM
I have a bunch of crap on my iPaq and it will take forever to get it all back.

I usually see these as an opportunity to clean out the 'crap'. :)

And, Godsongz, when you have your list together, check the author sites to see if you have the latest versions downloaded already.

mvbasilio
03-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Finally was able to download. I am running the update now.

Thanks!

oguime
03-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Has anyone contacted HP to see if the update can be applied to a non english iPaq? :wink:

The changing the language of your iPAQ would be in breach of your EUA, you would need to contact HP for this.

Jason Lee
03-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Finnaly, a reason to rebuild my ppc. It is haveing so many problems, I just haven't had the time or the want to reinstall all of my programs. I checked the properties of the start menu folder and I have 122 program shortcuts. 8O I knew I had way to much installed but WoW. No wonder I am out of ram. :)

Ed Hansberry
03-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Or

Restoring from a pre-1.10 backup is not recommended. :D

jeffrey_ms
03-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Done! Mine so far no problem. :D

medic119
03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
I usually see these as an opportunity to clean out the 'crap'.
Oh believe me I plan to clean out the crap. I am mainly talking about must have "crap." ;)

FYI, About how long does it take the ROM to update from start to finish?

D.psi
03-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Done! Mine so far no problem. :D

Okay... So any obvious/user-visible improvements? Reader version update, etc...

EDIT:
Looked at previous thread, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25821 and yes reader is upgraded in ROM. That's probably one of the elements of the Adaptation Kit. Sorry for the extra traffic.

D.psi

draiken
03-18-2004, 05:34 PM
How safe is to do this if it's not connected to AC???

Jimmy Dodd
03-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Hmmm.

No SP2 for .NET CF built in?
No MSN Messenger Update?
No Reader Update?
:?

I was hoping to get those into the ROM and out of my RAM.

OK. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Both MSN Messenger and MS Reader updates are included. That clears out about 1.5 MB of wasted space.

Too bad about the .NET CF sp2, though.

rmasinag
03-18-2004, 06:15 PM
I know slightly off topic but, does anyone still has the free Cirond Pocket WINC that was a PC Mag special. If I can't find one *gasp* I might have to buy one. $19 :(

rzanology
03-18-2004, 06:33 PM
this might be a silly question. but what is this adapatation kit everyone is talking about. what does it do?

Godsongz
03-18-2004, 06:37 PM
And, Godsongz, when you have your list together, check the author sites to see if you have the latest versions downloaded already.

Yep, found a couple of apps that I had outdated versions of... its almost like Christmas! :)

butch
03-18-2004, 06:38 PM
I know slightly off topic but, does anyone still has the free Cirond Pocket WINC that was a PC Mag special. If I can't find one *gasp* I might have to buy one. $19 :(

HERE (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1252915,00.asp) :D

Godsongz
03-18-2004, 06:40 PM
So, do I still have to keep the "2003 Startup Fix" enabled in SPB Pocket Plus, or is this fix no longer needed with the 1.10 ROM?

doc
03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
As soon as the update completed and rebooted my 2210, it bluescreened my XP Pro host :evil:

Godsongz
03-18-2004, 06:47 PM
As soon as the update completed and rebooted my 2210, it bluescreened my XP Pro host :evil:

Thats not good... I got a bluescreen also with the dreaded "IRQ_Not_Less_Or_Equal" error, but that was after the ROM update completed successfully and I was in the middle of re-installing all my apps. Didn't think much of it because I do see that particular bluescreen once a month or so.

DualShock
03-18-2004, 07:11 PM

Hey, I got the same thing too! It was a plug and play error or something like that.

But I just attributed it to the fact that I'm running XP SP2 beta. Yes I am on the beta for that, I did not pirate it. :wink:

Although, I hope I just didn't break my NDA by saying that I'm on the beta... :oops:

petevick
03-18-2004, 07:13 PM
As soon as the update completed and rebooted my 2210, it bluescreened my XP Pro host

Same here :( - Reported itself as a driver problem

Pete

medic119
03-18-2004, 07:13 PM
How safe is to do this if it's not connected to AC???

Very as you can't even install it without A/C Power. Thats my issue currently. My Sync-n-Charge does either sync or change Not both simulatenously (stupid Cheap Belkin Model I got a while ago). I won'd have cradle access for another week either! ARRGH!

doc
03-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Hmm, something tells me that HP didn't fully test this :roll:

Don Tolson
03-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Install went fine for me, but it did crash my Tablet PC running XP SP1 after it completed the software on the PC.

On the 2215, I took a full backup using IPAQ Backup before running the upgrade, then restored from it after the ROM upgrade was finished. It complained about not being for the same O/S and 'could cause significant problems', but everything seems back to normal anyway. It even restored the original partnership.

Overall, seems a bit 'hesitant' when moving from screen to screen, but no other major performance differences.

I tried to remove the HP Bluetooth driver update (figuring I didn't need it any more), but it says its in use. So, I guess I'll leave it.

tato68
03-18-2004, 09:08 PM

Email me at [email protected]. Will send you zip version of it.

Later...

tato68

tmagin
03-18-2004, 09:11 PM
It's all about money. Speaking of which ("MONEY"), can anyone tell about the newest trick to install MS-Money 2004 for PPC on this new set-up? I had a tough time before this up-grade- now I am just completely unable to install on the 2215. Anyone else with similar expierience or suggestons?

omikron.sk
03-18-2004, 09:40 PM
As far as I'm looking for bluescreening XPs I decided to not install it. :D
However.......I use my BT dongle to connect to internet around house, but sometimes I just lost connection and cannot reconnect without switching BT off and back on. Also, after such a "disconnection" I found out that address (MAC) in BT settings -> accesibility is "unavailable". My question is: Does this ROM upgrade fix this problem? I tried to install BT drivers update that could be found on HP site long time earlier, but before I found out if it does or does not fix my problem, I realised, that I'm unable to ActiveSync over BT anymore and uninstalled them.

mv
03-18-2004, 10:25 PM

Regards,

Gilson

That can´t be done easily, and sadly, it´s not legal. But it´s possible.

torgamm
03-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Same here with XP Pro US just after the final soft reset : reboot and checkdisk on restart.

Jason Lee
03-18-2004, 11:47 PM
So, do I still have to keep the "2003 Startup Fix" enabled in SPB Pocket Plus, or is this fix no longer needed with the 1.10 ROM?

So far as I can tell, NO!!! Yippie!! I reboot and reboot and no extra entires in the notifications queue!
At least they fixed that. :)

My upgrade went fine.
Inbox is still messed up.. :(
My issues with excel and contacts are not gone. Well they were but I believe they broke again after installing hp mobile printing and westek viewers. I guess I'll have to try a rebuild again tomorrow. :(

jher
03-18-2004, 11:48 PM
The update completely trashed my 2215. I did everything just like it said, hit the button, activesync drops connection, 2215 goes into "usb (hp logo) v1.08" and the installer says "cannot connect to handheld" and stops.

Now its basically stuck there. soft reset, battery pull and hard reset don't do squat. (grumble) :devilboy:

doc
03-19-2004, 12:28 AM
I also can not change my Menu icons. Settings->Menu. After clicking Ok it never changes my menu. Is anyone else seeing this problem?

element
03-19-2004, 12:44 AM
And here I thought I'd escape this fate. Interesting bug being that EVERYONE appears to be seeing the same thing. Good thing I read that thread first and closed all my apps (just in case.)

Doing a sync now...will report anything noticable.

Peace-out

doc
03-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Interesting. When I look at Windows->Start Menu under file explorer it shows the menu the way I want it to look. But when I click on Start I'm still getting the default menu. Even after a soft reset.

Rob Alexander
03-19-2004, 01:36 AM

And so many seeing this! How could they not have found it in testing? I was just debating with myself, with the conservative side saying, 'My iPaq works fine and I don't have any of those problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' But the geek in me was saying 'Go on, mate... you know you won't rest until you have the latest version!'

Thanks to you guys, my conservative side won out! No meltdowns here, thank you! :microwave:

andbrown
03-19-2004, 01:44 AM
I have notified folks internally about this issue so we can get the word to HP. To help identify the issue, please post any details about the specific error message you receive, the exact timing of the bluescreen (did you need to click the Finish button to have it happen or did it happen without user input?), and particularly if you upgraded successfully and did NOT see any bluescreen or restart.

Thanks!

doc
03-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Specifics for me are the IRQ_NOT_LESS...&lt;BSOD>

I clicked the final button to finish the upgrade. The 2215 rebooted, I saw the initial start-up screen on my PDA, then within the next second my XP Pro blue screened.

element
03-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Don't have specifics since I don't do a core dump. I do have details of how BSOD occured:

1) USB sync for 10 minutes
2) Installation Successfull
3) IPAQ Rebooted (in cradle)
4) At the moment the IPAQ comes back online (to the welcome screen) and attempts to sync (I imagine)...BSOD
5) IRQ Error (posted earlier, didn't write down)

IPAQ runs great right now, PC works great (after reboot). I had closed out of everything so nothing dammaged. Good thing for this thread is all I have to say, was in the middle of a huge project with every app imaginable open.

PC Specs:
Windows XP Pro SP1
PIV 3.2Ghz Hyperthreading enabled
1G RAM

I have notified folks internally about this issue so we can get the word to HP. To help identify the issue, please post any details about the specific error message you receive, the exact timing of the bluescreen (did you need to click the Finish button to have it happen or did it happen without user input?), and particularly if you upgraded successfully and did NOT see any bluescreen or restart.

Thanks!

sublime
03-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Doesn't work for me.

Every time I try to start the setup from the pc, Activesync go boom. It's there until I try to start setup, then disappears. As soon as setup is cancelled, setup reappears.

Computers really blow.

fonze73
03-19-2004, 03:25 AM
I installed the update yesterday without any problems either on my handheld or my XP Pro laptop.

On the laptop I didn't have anything running and had my 2215 connected directly to the laptop with a sync/charge cable. It was the only USB device connected to the laptop.

On the 2215 I just followed the instructions that come up with the executable file.

Everything seem to run ok today.

Henry

sublime
03-19-2004, 03:31 AM
My opinion remains unchanged.

Computers blow

mhowie
03-19-2004, 04:08 AM
So the alarm bug (failure to wake up when an alarm is set prior to midnight) that so many experience is not addressed? Or is the "Wake Up On Ring" item the solution?

Thanks,

freakygreek
03-19-2004, 04:26 AM
Just finished the update and everything went well.

Cheers

delfuhd
03-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Executed the upgrade about 4 hours ago and all went well. Now all I have left to do is reinstall AvantGo. I haven't noticed any bugs or errors, and no BSOD's

CR
03-19-2004, 05:44 AM
I completed the updated with no errors or BSODs as well. Overall speed does seem a little perkier, but that's probably because I haven't installed my myriad of applications yet. Guess it's time to trim the fat.

alandashby
03-19-2004, 06:15 AM
Did the update this morning and it went great. It seems that there are some simple changes, I was able to since to my PC over Bluetooth for the first time. But has anyone notice the calculator, that reminds me of my old jornada. I was also hoping to see a fix to the font changeing size in Word when you are using Transcriber, oh well. I am just glad to see HP give some support to the users of their products. Way to go HP!

akirasprt
03-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Everything is okay so far. I did not get a blue screen after i installed the upgrade. The only thing that kinda weird is the animation thing that happens when you tap and hold is now blue instead of red. It's something new i suppose.

Ed Hansberry
03-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Everything is okay so far. I did not get a blue screen after i installed the upgrade. The only thing that kinda weird is the animation thing that happens when you tap and hold is now blue instead of red. It's something new i suppose.
That is just the new theme. You can put the old bliss theme back from someplace like www.pocketpcthemes.com and it'll have the red circles.

Zensbikeshop
03-19-2004, 02:41 PM
That is just the new theme. You can put the old bliss theme back from someplace like www.pocketpcthemes.com and it'll have the red circles.

It seems that the light blue is the new default 'swirly dot' colour. If I use the MS WM themes that were relases with WM2003 then they have the new colours but any other theme has the light blue.

Kash76
03-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Speaking of themes, anyone getting this problem...

I have dashboard installed and it doesn't matter what skin/theme I pick but the start menu text (where is lists programs, settings, help, etc...) is always white!! On many themes it makes the start menu unreadable.

For example, try the WinSnoop 2003 theme. It's a sand colored background and the start menu text is white. Basicly unusable.

Am I missing something or can someone else recreate this?

Kash76
03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Also, after the upgrade my 2215 seemed to be hard reset was that good or should I have held the 2 buttons and hit the reset button??

doc
03-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Went to use my 2215 for working out this morning and the battery was drained down to 0%. I unplugged it last night fully charged and turned it off.

I have "Turn off device if not used for 3 min" checked. It must still be coming on at midnight. Geez, I was better off with my old 1.00.10 ROM.

Jason Lee
03-19-2004, 03:22 PM
So the alarm bug (failure to wake up when an alarm is set prior to midnight) that so many experience is not addressed? Or is the "Wake Up On Ring" item the solution?

Thanks,

Only time will tell... :)
Mine worked this morning! I was suppried. It would usually work before if I did not reset it anywhere near the time i went to bed. Or if I had it powered on within 1 hour of midnight. But I was resetting like crazy last night and it went off just fine this morning.
I didn't even hack the registry to change the wakeup resume time to 60. It is still the default 15 seconds. And it worked! :D

Guess I'll see how it goes next week. :)

It feels good to have an uncluttered/clean ppc that (for now) seemes to be working. :mrgreen:
So that should mean after a week or two of being nice to it I can resume my usual application testing and fill all that ram up! :)

Godsongz
03-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Went to use my 2215 for working out this morning and the battery was drained down to 0%. I unplugged it last night fully charged and turned it off.

I have "Turn off device if not used for 3 min" checked. It must still be coming on at midnight. Geez, I was better off with my old 1.00.10 ROM.

The same thing happened to me. The power-up at midnight is supposed to happen for 15 seconds (unless you've tweaked the duration in the registry) so the unit can prepare for alarms and such for the next 24 hours. Besides midnight though, my device seems to be powering up a lot more often though since flashing the ROM and sometime during the night it must have powered up and stayed up so I woke to a flatlined battery this morning. The frequent uncalled-for powerups are probably due to an activesync setting that I haven't tweaked yet, now I just have to remember what that setting is.

pschultz
03-19-2004, 04:48 PM
I got the same thing. I even closed out of all programs on my laptop before performing this update. I also did a hard reset on my iPAQ 2215 before I performed this update, but the moment the PPC came back and tried to sync, BSOD!!

kel_cheng
03-19-2004, 07:50 PM
I am experiencing the exact same problem with this ROM update. Thinking to find some answers on this board :roll:
The Start menu just wouldn't have its font color changed to anything from white!!

I have dashboard installed and it doesn't matter what skin/theme I pick but the start menu text (where is lists programs, settings, help, etc...) is always white!! On many themes it makes the start menu unreadable.

For example, try the WinSnoop 2003 theme. It's a sand colored background and the start menu text is white. Basicly unusable.

IIIsynthtaxIII
03-19-2004, 07:59 PM
sorry

Steven Cedrone
03-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Kash76,kel_cheng:

I'm having the same problem, probably everyone is, and it's P*SSING ME OFF to no end. Amazing how something as small as this can be such a pain. And of course, I doubt HP will release an update for something as "minor" as this. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded, I had no problems, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it (if it involves an irreversible update that is).

***edited by moderator SJC

lllsynthtaxlll

I know you are not a happy camper right now, but you may want to vent on HP's site, not here...

Steve

ctitanic
03-19-2004, 10:00 PM
I am experiencing the exact same problem with this ROM update. Thinking to find some answers on this board :roll:
The Start menu just wouldn't have its font color changed to anything from white!!

This is happening because this update has changed the theme. One solution could be to install in your PPC any old 2002 theme or a theme created in MS Theme creator. That will change it back to black. Another feature that has changed color is the dots for tap and hold.

kel_cheng
03-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Would you explain further what you meant by "theme", so that I know I'm doing what you suggested?
I did try downloading and installing different themes from
http://www.pocketpcthemes.com/
and the color still wouldn't change from white...

This is happening because this update has changed the theme. One solution could be to install in your PPC any old 2002 theme or a theme created in MS Theme creator. That will change it back to black. Another feature that has changed color is the dots for tap and hold.[/quote]

ctitanic
03-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Try a theme created using this tool

http://www.mcdeb.com/

Kash76
03-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Kash76,kel_cheng:

I'm having the same problem, probably everyone is, and it's P*SSING ME OFF to no end. Amazing how something as small as this can be such a pain. And of course, I doubt HP will release an update for something as "minor" as this. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded, I had no problems, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it (if it involves an irreversible update that is).

***edited by moderator SJC

lllsynthtaxlll

I know you are not a happy camper right now, but you may want to vent on HP's site, not here...

Steve

I was simply asking if anyone else had this happen. That's all.

Kash76
03-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Would you explain further what you meant by "theme", so that I know I'm doing what you suggested?
I did try downloading and installing different themes from
http://www.pocketpcthemes.com/
and the color still wouldn't change from white...

Themes are contained in a .tsk file.

I have tried other themes that previously showed black and still have the problem.

ctitanic
03-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Themes are contained in a .tsk file.

I have tried other themes that previously showed black and still have the problem.

You can check here for more information.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102305&perpage=15&pagenumber=6

It seens that some themes can fix the problem and other not.

mhowie
03-20-2004, 06:42 AM

Thanks,

Only time will tell... :)
Mine worked this morning! I was suppried. It would usually work before if I did not reset it anywhere near the time i went to bed. Or if I had it powered on within 1 hour of midnight. But I was resetting like crazy last night and it went off just fine this morning.
I didn't even hack the registry to change the wakeup resume time to 60. It is still the default 15 seconds. And it worked! :D

Guess I'll see how it goes next week. :)

I'll be anxious to hear if the alarm keeps working for you over the next several days. Please report back your alarm successes/failures.

Thanks,

glinsen
03-20-2004, 08:07 PM
I've noticed that since the ROM upgrade I finally have support for WPA security with my Linksys WCF12 WiFi card.

plemax
03-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Does anybody know why they did this
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=227765#227765

Ed Hansberry
03-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Does anybody know why they did this
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=227765#227765
Probably because the calculator never remembered your conversion rates and people though this was a bug. It was never intended to be a full blown converter but by having the modest features it did confused people as to why it forget the rates.

So, they could either beef it up or go backwards. Given there are plenty of converters for the PPC already, they just put the basic calculator back.

plemax
03-21-2004, 01:47 AM
So, they could either beef it up or go backwards. Given there are plenty of converters for the PPC already, they just put the basic calculator back.
Yaaa, from my point of view HP did not very smart decision. Because I used it. Hope HP will change it back some day.

Fuzzy John
03-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Here is a quick and dirty way to restore the black text to the Start menu after upgrading the firmware to v1.10. You will have to do this every time you change a theme:
- Load your desired theme.
- Use a registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Color
- Create a new BINARY value named 39 with a data of 00 00 00 00.

That is all. This seems to survive a soft reset but does not survive a theme change.

For full details about the theme format see Pocket PC 2002/2003 ThemeBuilder - the theme creator without limits (http://www.ida.net/users/oe1k/programs/ThemeBuilder/) by Richard L. Owens.

Janak Parekh
03-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Yaaa, from my point of view HP did not very smart decision. Because I used it. Hope HP will change it back some day.
I doubt it -- the cost of technical support far outweighs that converter's very limited utility. Considering there are freeware options (I linked to two in that thread), I don't see this as a major problem.

--janak

ctitanic
03-21-2004, 04:19 PM
For those who have reported the white color in the Start Menu and the imposibility of change that color, I have released a new version of Tweaks2k2 (http://www.pc-counselor.com/downloads.htm) that allow users to change the Start Menu Color and the Tap & Hold Dots color.

jvcrabb
03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
So what is the general consensus? Do I update or not. I'll wait until the weekend so I have plenty of time to play w/ my new GPS. What do you think?

chunkymonkey75
03-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Please take a look at the following post:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26027

I'm thinking I might have something worth trying.

chunkymonkey75
03-22-2004, 04:54 PM
So what is the general consensus? Do I update or not. I'll wait until the weekend so I have plenty of time to play w/ my new GPS. What do you think?

If it ain't broke.....don't "fix" it. I'm going to wait for some sort of status on WM2003SE.

ctitanic
03-22-2004, 04:56 PM

If it ain't broke.....don't "fix" it. I'm going to wait for some sort of status on WM2003SE.

That's what I'm going to do too.
8)

Jason Lee
03-22-2004, 05:06 PM
I'll be anxious to hear if the alarm keeps working for you over the next several days. Please report back your alarm successes/failures.

Thanks,

Well, it's Monday morning and my alarm went off just fine. I didn't have any reminders this weekend but so far it seems to be working just fine with out so much as a reg hack. :mrgreen:

I also used to have the problem with my ppc locking up after an sync. One of those lockups where you turn the device off and it will not come back on and is in the process of draining the battery like mad. :?
My old fix was just to soft reset after sync but I gave it a whirl this weekend and no lockup! :) I believe this problem was also related to the 15 second resuming timeout. So I think HP made some nice code changes that no longer requiers you to hack the delay to 60 seconds.
I hope anyway... :) but so far so good.

I also have the always white start menu text and blue swirly dots. The new default. It's not really that big of a deal. I actually like it better. Before I had a hard time with some of the themes I made because I couldn't read the text. So I would have to fade the image until it looked like crap just to see the text. Now I can just go back and darken the image for the start menu. I like it better white. Makes for cooler looking today themes. :wink:

I am very happy with this update. For the first time in a long time I think everything is actually working on my ppc!! :) *happy dance*

ctitanic
03-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I also have the always white start menu text and blue swirly dots. The new default. It's not really that big of a deal. I actually like it better. Before I had a hard time with some of the themes I made because I couldn't read the text. So I would have to fade the image until it looked like crap just to see the text. Now I can just go back and darken the image for the start menu. I like it better white. Makes for cooler looking today themes. :wink:

Somebody posted here a registry hack to fix this problem if you want to do it yourself. I have added that hack to Tweaks2k2 too.

Fuzzy John
03-22-2004, 06:13 PM

Since it is so easily missed, here's my registry hack again:

Here is a quick and dirty way to restore the black text to the Start menu after upgrading the firmware to v1.10. You will have to do this every time you change a theme:
- Load your desired theme.
- Use a registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Color
- Create a new BINARY value named 39 with a data of 00 00 00 00.

That is all. This seems to survive a soft reset but does not survive a theme change.

For full details about the theme format see Pocket PC 2002/2003 ThemeBuilder - the theme creator without limits (http://www.ida.net/users/oe1k/programs/ThemeBuilder/) by Richard L. Owens.

ctitanic
03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Other colors you may want to try:

- 00 00 00 00 for Black,
- FF FF FF 00 for White,
- FE 00 00 00 for Red
- and 00 00 FE 00 for Blue.

If you create a key named 40 you will be able to change the Tap & Hold colors too ;)

jher
03-22-2004, 10:27 PM
The update completely trashed my 2215. I did everything just like it said, hit the button, activesync drops connection, 2215 goes into "usb (hp logo) v1.08" and the installer says "cannot connect to handheld" and stops.

Now its basically stuck there. soft reset, battery pull and hard reset don't do squat. (grumble) :devilboy:

So basically my 2215 is hozed. Talked to a few folks and it seems that activesync 4.7.1 has problems with the new update and craps out. So, watch yourself if you're running 4.7.1. You might have to send it in to get it fixed, like I do.

ctitanic
03-22-2004, 10:45 PM

So basically my 2215 is hozed. Talked to a few folks and it seems that activesync 4.7.1 has problems with the new update and craps out. So, watch yourself if you're running 4.7.1. You might have to send it in to get it fixed, like I do.

Download the old rom update and try to install it. I have a friend of mine that did that and got his h221x back to work.

mhowie
03-23-2004, 12:24 AM

Don't you mean 3.7.1? I ran 3.7.1 for about one day a couple of months ago prior to reading reports of flakiness and other issues... back to 3.7.

woffles
03-23-2004, 01:01 AM
I'm running 3.7.1 and had no problems. Was very careful about how I did the upgrade. Disconnected the cradle from my USB hub and connected it directly to the PC, if you don't this could cause it to crap out on you. I've tried to transfer large files through the hub before and had it fail. I also disconnected all other USB devices to be on the safe side. Also, I disconnected from the internet, turned off my virus software and firewall and screensaver and standby modes. Had as little as possible running in the background and didn't touch the computer until it finished. No errors, no BSOD on XP Pro.

Jeff

doc
03-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Not to beat a dead horse here, but, I've noticed that my 2215 keeps disconecting from ActiveSync if I leave it alone for a few hours. Is anyone else seeing this?

Kash76
03-23-2004, 01:58 AM
Not to beat a dead horse here, but, I've noticed that my 2215 keeps disconecting from ActiveSync if I leave it alone for a few hours. Is anyone else seeing this?

Yep, noticing that also. It's pissing me off!

SHC
03-23-2004, 09:52 AM

Yep, noticing that also. It's pissing me off!

After the upgrade, could'nt get asctivesync to stay connected long enough to sync. solved by deleting partnership, unintall activesync and then a fresh install. Now works OK.
What has changed is I can now sync with bluetooth! The ipaq would chat with my GPs and phone but was not on speaking terms with my laptop. now after the update syncs flawlessly.
regards
SHC

Anthony Caruana
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
I've been through the update and other than the spontaneous reboot on the first sync all went well.

However, i have one app that no longer functions. I use Mobem mPhone t manage my cell phone and it can no longer connect via Bluetooth. I can use it with IR but that sucks.

I can dial the phone using the Dial by Bluetooth optionin Contacts so I know BT works OK.

Any advice/suggestions?

SHC
03-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi
There was something I read about using the new bluetooth icon in the connection folder as opposed to the bluetooth manager which seems to upset bluetooth connections and settings. Worth investigating perhaps.
regards
SHC

soda97
03-23-2004, 05:59 PM
why is that when i use bluetooth connection or sync
i can never xfer files that bigger than 1 meg or something
it always disconnect me
am i the only one getting this

thanks in advance,
soda

Jason Lee
03-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Well so much for the flawless alarms....
I installed WISBar advanced which really slows down power up due to all the extra graphics loading. The first alarm of the day has not gone off for the last two days. So I changed the resuming times to 60 seconds and will see how that works... :)

Kash76
03-26-2004, 01:35 AM
I ended up reverting back to the old version. The disconnects from activesync and the colors being screwed up was enough for me!

sheik
04-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Well I had a rather nasty time of this upgrade, but hopefully this will help someone:

I ran the update via USB cradle according to the instructions and everything seemed to be going well.
20 minutes later my Ipaq was still displaying a non-backlit screen showing "USB HP v1.08" and nothing else.
30 minutes later with no change I decided the procedure had crashed my Ipaq. Soft resetting and hard resetting did nothing (although diconnecting the unit from the cradle changed "USB" to "SERIAL" on the display.

Obviously ActiveSync had no knowledge of my Ipaq at this point so I tried running "GWupgradeut.exe" which was shipped with the ROM update and, thank goodness, it detected my bricked Ipaq via the USB cable and started updating the ROM. This time I could see a progress bar on the PC and PPC screen and after 20 minutes or so I was the relieved owner of a mint updated Ipaq.

I was definitely thinking I'd have to send it back to HP when it first died though...

/\dam

rmcadams
04-16-2004, 06:32 PM

And so many seeing this! How could they not have found it in testing? I was just debating with myself, with the conservative side saying, 'My iPaq works fine and I don't have any of those problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' But the geek in me was saying 'Go on, mate... you know you won't rest until you have the latest version!'

Thanks to you guys, my conservative side won out! No meltdowns here, thank you! :microwave:

I SHOULD have done the same! Instead I'm dead-in-the-water trying to install the apps I HAVE to have right away. I love thoroughly tested updates. :devilboy: