View Full Version : Pocket Excel Password Security: How Safe?

Lex
03-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Security experts: How secure is Pocket Excel's password protection?

I use Resco for real encryption but Pocket Excel for one spreadsheet I keep secure by password. It opens faster going through Excel vs. Resco.

I figure loss of my PPC is a low risk, then John Q. Public's ability to figure my password then locate my secret spreadsheet does not much worry me.

Am I safe or in ignorant bliss?

christheswiss
03-17-2004, 01:25 PM
I have used this feature myself for some time but stopped it because I noticed that for some reason the password querry would drop for no apparent reason. I would then initiate the password again only to be dropped again. This mostly happens after syncing.

Jorgen
03-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Lend me you PPC and lend me $30 and I can do it in a minute: http://www.bluechillies.com/details/4842.html

So, not safe while there are people out there capable of paying $30!

Jorgen

Lex
03-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Awesome input Jorgen. I was totally unaware of payware password cracking for Excel. (I.e.: 'ignorant bliss')

But that's a PC app, and my sheet is on Pocket Excel. Wouldn't John Q. Public have to 1) find my PPC, 2)get it to sync on his PC, 3)find my spreadsheet, then use the above mentioned app to recover the password for my spreadsheet?

Anyway, Encryption, here I come !

Jorgen
03-17-2004, 05:02 PM
In reality, you are probably reasonably safe unless you run into an industrial spy who targeted you. Most people would not know about that kind of software. I have given a few lectures on security so I tend to notice applications like these.

Jorgen

i_spock
03-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Yep, passwords in Word and Excel are pretty easily circumvented. Did anyone happen to notice the article from a recent PocketPC magazine issue where the author said he used to use a wallet-type program for his passwords but now uses a password protected excel spreadsheet because it's faster? 8O I don't remember his name but I seem to remember that he's a doctor. :!:

As a security professional that literally made me cringe...

Lex
03-17-2004, 08:08 PM
That sounds like me, i_spock, but I'm not a doctor and never played one on TV. Thanks again.

MLO
03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Yep, passwords in Word and Excel are pretty easily circumvented. Did anyone happen to notice the article from a recent PocketPC magazine issue where the author said he used to use a wallet-type program for his passwords but now uses a password protected excel spreadsheet because it's faster? 8O I don't remember his name but I seem to remember that he's a doctor. :!:

As a security professional that literally made me cringe...

*sigh*

That reminds me of the time my husband retrieved a patient file (!) and a Jornada from the ground after a doctor pulled off (cutting my husband off) in a hurry, leaving said items on the top of the car.

That doctor was lucky someone else didn't happen across the stuff. We managed to get in touch with him and return his things.

MLO