View Full Version : Beginner PDA

GuyInTn
03-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi all,

My wife has finally decided she wants a pda. Can someone suggest one that is easy for beginners to use? She really needs it to keep a calendar, address book, some ebooks and maybe a couple of games.

Thanks,
GuyInTn

Jacob
03-16-2004, 05:27 PM
An older 1910 might be appropriate - it's small and easy enough I would think.

antondubina
03-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Better get 1940/45. Faster -- less irritation :roll:

Paula
03-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Hi all,

My wife has finally decided she wants a pda. Can someone suggest one that is easy for beginners to use? She really needs it to keep a calendar, address book, some ebooks and maybe a couple of games.

Thanks,
GuyInTn

I am also new to the PPC world and am cutting my teeth on an h2215.
It is fast enough for great games, has dual mem card slots (this is a big plus) and is as cute as can be. I keep all documents like ebooks, work documents and anything I would keep on paper on my SD card. My CF card contains games, backups, more games, music and video clips.
It has the newest OS, Mobile 2003. it also has the ability to access the internet with the aid of a wireless card (CF or SD) or with the bulit-in Bluetooth. It is easy enough to use, although like all newbies she will need some direction.

One thing I found is that she may intend to only use a few features but may quickly want to expand. The 2215 is a perfect PPC to grow into.

Paula

Zack Mahdavi
03-17-2004, 10:44 PM
I'd have to recommend a Palm Zire 21. It's cheap and it's a great first PDA.

However, I noticed you said she might read eBooks. She'd probably want a PDA with a color screen and an expansion slot. I'd then recommend either a used iPaq 1910 or a Palm Tungsten E. Both are great PDAs and have wonderful, bright color screens with SD expansion. Also, in my opinion, the stock PIM programs on the Palm are much friendlier than the Pocket PC.

JustinGTP
03-18-2004, 03:34 AM
zkmusa!

What are you doing recommending a Palm! A Palm is no good, stick with the best, Pocket PC of course! iPaq is the way to go, 1945 is a good cheap PDA. The 4155 does offer Wireless capabilities with WiFi and Bluetooth, 1945 only had Bluetooth.

What options are you looking for?

-Justin.

Brad Adrian
03-18-2004, 04:06 AM
I'd have to side with those recommending the HP iPAQ 1910. It's one of the "older" models (It came out about a year ago), but it's still a great little device. It's slim, allows for easy memory expansion, and the screen is one of the best around.

You should be able to get one at a fairly good price (It was around $199 last year), since a few models have been released since then. I know that as of last week our local BestBuy and Circuit City still had a couple in stock.

Zack Mahdavi
03-18-2004, 06:55 AM
zkmusa! What are you doing recommending a Palm! A Palm is no good, stick with the best, Pocket PC of course!

I was just trying to give an unbiased opinion! Don't get me wrong, I love my Pocket PC! I just think overall a Palm is a better choice for a beginner's PDA. I think anyone should start out with a cheap PDA as their first one... that way, they can test the waters, figure out what they use their PDA for, and then later make a more expensive purchase.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents! :)

antondubina
03-18-2004, 03:21 PM
I was just trying to give an unbiased opinion! Don't get me wrong, I love my Pocket PC! I just think overall a Palm is a better choice for a beginner's PDA. I think anyone should start out with a cheap PDA as their first one... that way, they can test the waters, figure out what they use their PDA for, and then later make a more expensive purchase.

I must agree. I had m130 as my first PDA, then understood I need more power -- and got NR70V. After few months I saw 2210 -- and bought it.

Now I'm pretty happy with it. When faster CPU will come out (I don't mean that 530 MHz thing, maybe something more faster), and 640 x 480 screens become standard... If it will have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in it -- that's my next PDA :wink:

Aerestis
03-20-2004, 04:47 AM
I would go with the palm T|E, I have one and I am ok with it. But see, I'm only ok with it because now I want a ppc. if you do go with a T|E, then beware... They start to make an EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound, very high pitched after a while. Palm claims it's a natural phenomenon, sorry for the spelling, but it's very annoying. You can hear it from twenty feet away sometimes. Not all T|E's do it.

senfeng
03-21-2004, 02:02 AM

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents! :)
I'll agree with you as well. As much as I LOVE PPC devices, Palm devices are a just more intuitive (my opinion). The only reason I switched to PPC was that I realized that I wanted to do MORE with my device and I needed more power. From what I noticed, many people that start with a PPC device are often overwhelmed.