View Full Version : The mod mods his baby!

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2004, 03:54 PM
For the most part, Mondays are ugly days! Days when the clock seems to run slower and the day just seems to drag on and on and on...

Typical Monday for me! That is, until I arrived home. There in the doorway, stood my daughter holding a Fed-Ex envelope!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-fedex.jpg

Hmmm... I wasn't expecting anything! Oh wait! As I look at the label, I realize what it is! My replacement grips for my 2215 are here! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24614&highlight=) Quickly, I grab the envelope, kiss the dog, pet the kids, and go and lock myself in my office... :wink:

With trembling hands, I rip open the envelope...

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-contents.jpg

More envelopes! The suspense is terrific, I hope it will last :wink:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20030316-whatsinside.jpg

Wow! O.K., I take a deep breath here. Time to sit back and relax. The first thing I do is read the instructions packaged with the mod. Nicely written, easy to understand! Almost too easy! :wink:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-instructions.jpg

Well, I say to myself, "Self, let's be anal about this, shall we?". I jump on the HP website and take a look at the "Replacement Grip Video". (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/SideGripRemoveAndReplace.wmv)

Now I am set! I decide to snap a few quick photos before I begin:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-sideold.jpg
The side of my 2215 with the old grips.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20030316-topvaja.jpg
The view from the top with the old grips.

O.K., time to remove the grips. As instructed, I place a little pressure at the bottom of the grip while at the same time pushing the grip up. The grip "Pops" off. Well, that was easy!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-oldandnew.jpg
The old and new grips together.

Well, the next step is the most difficult: It requires that a screw be removed! :wink: Pocket PC Techs includes the Torx tool needed for this process as well as a longer replacement screw. In no time at all, I have the screw out!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-screws.jpg
Old and new screws, notice the length of the new screw.

After that, it was just a matter of sliding the new grip on and securing with the new screw! What a difference 5 minutes makes!

Here are some shots of the new and improved 2215!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20030316-sidetopvaja.jpg

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20030316-topnew.jpg

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20030316-topside.jpg

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/cedrone-20040316-newinstalled.jpg

There you have it! 123 and it's done! No longer will I have to fear my grips coming apart on me! :twisted:

The bottom line...

So Steve, tell us what you really think: O.K., I will! :wink: I think these grips are outstanding! They fit perfectly and feel very comfortable. Everything needed for this mod was included with the kit. Now, there are those that say this is too expensive, to which I would reply: "If you do not want to spend the money on this, call HP every few months (whether you need to or not) and keep asking for replacement grips (this will ensure that you build up a cache of replacements for the life of your unit)". After all, who knows when HP will stop sending them to 22xx series owners. If you find yourself in dire need of a set, I have a pair of slightly used grips for sale! :wink:

Jimmy Dodd
03-16-2004, 05:07 PM
Great job Steve, nice photos.

From the photos I can't really tell so maybe you could explain it: what is the (smaller) removed screw doing to start with? Is it holding the chasis together? Is it just sitting there doing nothing?

Also, with the new grips, are the screw heads visible? I assume they are countersunk, but are they covered with anything?

Janak Parekh
03-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Steve, you should make this a frontpage review when you have the chance. :)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2004, 05:10 PM
The older (short) screws looked like they were holding the chassis together. I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me. The screws are countersunk in the grips but they are visible.

Steve

surur
03-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Surely these side-grips would be the ideal place to secure a low profile metal flip-lid ala Jornada 568. If PPCTech can do this, why not go a step further and make a lid. Or is there really not much demand for such a thing?

Surur

Jacob
03-16-2004, 06:58 PM
They have suggested that they might do just that I think. I would email their support and ask them about it.

LWesson
03-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Surely these side-grips would be the ideal place to secure a low profile metal flip-lid ala Jornada 568. If PPCTech can do this, why not go a step further and make a lid. Or is there really not much demand for such a thing?

Surur

Actually, we are working on it now. We're hoping to make it out of plastic so that it is light. It will actually integrate with the current grips, so those of you that have purchased the grips will be able to purchase a cover add-on. And before you ask, no ETA as of yet.

Sven Johannsen
03-16-2004, 08:26 PM

Surur

Actually, we are working on it now. We're hoping to make it out of plastic so that it is light. It will actually integrate with the current grips, so those of you that have purchased the grips will be able to purchase a cover add-on. And before you ask, no ETA as of yet.

As soon as you post availability, it only takes me about 10 secs to get my credit card out.

24va
03-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Got mine today, installed and not a problem with the Proporta Aluminum case

LightMan
03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
As soon as you post availability, it only takes me about 10 secs to get my credit card out.

DROOL!
Same here, I'd buy it before you can say PocketPCThoughts :mrgreen:

JonnoB
03-16-2004, 09:19 PM

I am ready to go purchase when this becomes available! Remember this.... It would be great if the cover is clear (so you can see the screen when closed) and it did not cover the buttons on the bottom (just cover the LCD.) We need to be able to still navigate using application buttons and d-pad. Also, make sure it does not interfere with the mini-keyboard attachment.

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2004, 09:25 PM
I am ready to go purchase when this becomes available! Remember this.... It would be great if the cover is clear (so you can see the screen when closed) and it did not cover the buttons on the bottom (just cover the LCD.) We need to be able to still navigate using application buttons and d-pad. Also, make sure it does not interfere with the mini-keyboard attachment.

I think that for myself, I'd like the cover to cover the whole front of the device, not just the LCD. If I need to use it, I'd just flip up the cover.

Steve

JonnoB
03-16-2004, 09:42 PM
I think that for myself, I'd like the cover to cover the whole front of the device, not just the LCD. If I need to use it, I'd just flip up the cover.

Steve

How do you do that and have the mini thumboard attached?

muaddip
03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
In that case, I would like to see two versions one like Steven's and one like JonnoB. I can see myself use both since I have the micro-keyboard, but would still like more protection every now and then. I love the idea and I will jump all over the side grips and cover when it comes out, for now my Sena cases does well enough. Oh and transparency is not an issue for me, in fact a nice black cover would be fine, but clear would be good as well. Any thoughts of memory holders? I have a Wi-Fi and extra SD Card that I carry in my Sena case and would like to retain that ability, but again not a deal breaker if the cover is cool enough.

Great work!!

huangzhinong
03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
The transparancy like treo 90 lid is good enough, All transparancy looks cheap.

Covering buttons is not necessary and only adds weight.

JonnoB
03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
The Jornada 56x was the best design. You had the flip cover built into the side grips that could come off completely. When you added the thumboard, it replaced the flip cover and included a shorter version on its own.

It was way ahead of its time. I think PPCTechs is onto something here and may very well bring pack that same level of functionality. I am hoping at least!

jonathanchoo
03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Hai, I am about to repurchase the h2210 again. To complement my T3. Both are good PDAs but I miss the games on my old PPCs. I will probably use the T3 for longer trips while the h2210 or h4150 for day to day tasks.

The question I wanted to ask before commiting my credit card is does the side flap still drop out from the h2210. has HP fixes this. Anyone who has recently bought the h2210 hopefully can answer this question.

How bad is the yellow tint on the h4150? My T3's screen is very white while my girlfriend's one is very creamy. If anyone has seen a yellow/creamy T3 screen, is the h4150's screen similar? If it is I probably won't get it. The h4150 is about £20 more than the h2210 now. Both prices has crashed -£150/£200. At first I saw the h4150 at £250 as pretty good deal (came out at £450), but the yellow tint issue is a major factor. WiFi is not important but at that price who is complaining. The deciding factor will probably be the screen quality. I know that the h2210's screen is piss poor compared to the T3. How's the h4150?

How does Bluetooth compare between the h2210 and h4150. I had bad experience with the h2210. I hope the software update on the h4150 has been updated to make it easier.

Thanks in advance. You can e-mail me at jonchoo515 <at> yahoo.co.uk

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2004, 10:01 PM
How do you do that and have the mini thumboard attached?

Sorry, I don't use a thumboard (which is why I had no idea where you were going with this).

I would imagine Pocket PC Techs lid will be like the Palm III type (two posts that just have to be pried apart to attach to the device - not quite as delicate as the Jornada flip). The one problem I see is that a WIFI card would probably interfere with the opening and closing of the lid.

Steve

JonnoB
03-16-2004, 10:15 PM
The one problem I see is that a WIFI card would probably interfere with the opening and closing of the lid.

I never had a problem with the Jornada flip lid and the Socket WiFi card I had in it. I don't imagine that there would be a problem with a lid for the 221x either as long as it is built the same way.

Balsky
03-16-2004, 10:30 PM

Though if it's an easy to open flip lid, then it doesn't have to be clear (although it would be nice indeed).

And if I don't have any money when it comes out I'll simply sell my car. Ha!

-Balsky.

arebelspy
03-16-2004, 11:20 PM
This was my favorite part:

Quickly, I grab the envelope, kiss the dog, pet the kids, and go and lock myself in my office...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-arebelspy

Zensbikeshop
03-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Now I WANT my grips to fall off!

They look deeply cool - for some reason I thought they were bigger than the rubber...

Like the sound of a flip.

plemax
03-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Super! I just have same problem. I took my grips off and order new rubber one and then I found your review....****!
Ok will look forward to and wait when my new rubber grips will worn out.
Can you make closer pictures from that aluminum grips?

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2004, 02:53 AM

On the device or off?

Steve

Mitch D
03-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Super! I just have same problem. I took my grips off and order new rubber one and then I found your review....s**t!
Ok will look forward to and wait when my new rubber grips will worn out.

My question to this is "why wait?" go out and buy them now. You could always use the replacements from HP as door stops or replacement rubber feet for your desktop.

:wink:

Great review!

Paula
03-17-2004, 03:12 AM
These sure are pretty grips. However (you had to know there would be a however) it would be great if the screw heads and the inside well where the screws go, were painted black (or whatever color you grips are). this is of course for esthetic purposes only, but I'm a woman and we like things to be neat and tidy and match.

Paula

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2004, 03:24 AM
These sure are pretty grips. However (you had to know there would be a however) it would be great if the screw heads and the inside well where the screws go, were painted black (or whatever color you grips are). this is of course for esthetic purposes only, but I'm a woman and we like things to be neat and tidy and match.

Paula

When the covers come out we won't be able to see them! :wink:

I may try a little black magic marker on mine, I'll let you know how it looks!

Steve

LWesson
03-17-2004, 03:33 AM

Paula

We have not gotten to that point yet, since we're working on the flip cover that will use the same screw holes. If it's really critical for you, I can paint 3 screws for you. :D

Paula
03-17-2004, 03:43 AM
We have not gotten to that point yet, since we're working on the flip cover that will use the same screw holes. If it's really critical for you, I can paint 3 screws for you. :D

You got a deal. When I place my order I will request 3 colored screws as well. :lol:

Steve,
I won't be buying the flip cover. I prefer my 2215 clad in leather. :D Please do let me know how the cover up looks.

Paula

Texico
03-17-2004, 06:13 AM
Now I am getting PO'd. I hear how everyone else is getting their grips and happily installing them and I haven't even gotten a shipping announcement. They haven't even billed my credit card. Do I get fashionably late delivery because I'm that much farther from the cost or is it because I ordered the highly fashionable red ones to go with my Serna case. By the way if anyone is listening I want red screws, too. That doesn't sound right. You know what I mean.
Texico:evil:

LWesson
03-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Now I am getting PO'd. I hear how everyone else is getting their grips and happily installing them and I haven't even gotten a shipping announcement. They haven't even billed my credit card. Do I get fashionably late delivery because I'm that much farther from the cost or is it because I ordered the highly fashionable red ones to go with my Serna case. By the way if anyone is listening I want red screws, too. That doesn't sound right. You know what I mean.
Texico:evil:

Hi Texico,

Farther from the cost?

We're shipping as fast as possible. PM or email me your order # and I'll see where you are in the queue.

QYV
03-17-2004, 06:40 AM
I just got a replacement set of rubber grips from HP a few weeks ago, so I'm eyeing this with just casual interest at this point. I'm curious if anyone has verified if HP has made changes to their replacement grips such that they won't pop out in six months again? To me, the current grips seem to be slightly smaller and fit a little better, so I'm sort of hoping it might do the trick. Not that I'm not tempted by the PPCTechs grips - if they're as well-done as the WriteSHIELDs, you've got a quality product for sure!

dcharles18
03-17-2004, 03:06 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release the flip cover soon!!!!!!

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey, I've got to tell you: I relly like the way the 2215 feels with these side grips! They really make the device feel sturdy!

Steve

plemax
03-17-2004, 04:43 PM

On the device or off?

Steve

On the device please!!!!

The Half-Ling
03-17-2004, 06:17 PM
If lighty's responding to the poll, this must be huge!

Jake

Pixelnose
03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, you may want to find better shipping options for international shipping. 50 USD for economy shipping?????? I ship stuff back and forth between Finland and the US all the time using Fedex. These grips weigh next to nothing. No way it should cost that much... 0X

LWesson
03-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Hmmm, you may want to find better shipping options for international shipping. 50 USD for economy shipping?????? I ship stuff back and forth between Finland and the US all the time using Fedex. These grips weigh next to nothing. No way it should cost that much... 0X

The fedex shipping comes from the Fedex api, so the cost is directly from their site. All packages, even if only a few ounces, are rated at 1 lb.

The best way to reduce the shipping cost, customs fees, etc is to order from our dealers. I'm sure Expansys.com ships to Finland.

Pixelnose
03-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Hmm, I bought some headphones from The Headroom and they use Fedex. The headphones were heavier than the grips and it cost 30 USD for priority shipping. Vaja ships here by Fedex and it cost 25 USD. So how can the grips cost 50 USD to send?

But you sort-of answered the question: you can't be bothered to find a better method and we if we don't like the European reseller (Expansys has many customer complaints), then too bad for us. Wow, what a let-down.

LWesson
03-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Hmm, I bought some headphones from The Headroom and they use Fedex. The headphones were heavier than the grips and it cost 30 USD for priority shipping. Vaja ships here by Fedex and it cost 25 USD. So how can the grips cost 50 USD to send?

But you sort-of answered the question: you can't be bothered to find a better method and we if we don't like the European reseller (Expansys has many customer complaints), then too bad for us. Wow, what a let-down.

Something else interesting. I checked for shipping to Helsinki. Priority was $36.21 vs Economy for $51.66, for an envelope. This is direct from the fedex website, no API involved. For a box rated at 1 lb, it was Priority was $58.43 vs Economy for $51.66.

Based on this, I've notified order processing to double check the shipping cost on all Int'l orders. If it is incorrect or as in the case of the grips, we can ship it in an envelope, we will adjust the cost according.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Pixelnose
03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks for actually checking on this. 36USD isn't cheap, but 50USD was just insane. :) Based on this, would the shipping price not fluctuate too much if I ordered 2 sets? :)

edit - This is asked in an open forum for any international customers who might find this helpful. It's not impossible that someone else would want two. :)

LWesson
03-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks for actually checking on this. 36USD isn't cheap, but 50USD was just insane. :) Based on this, would the shipping price not fluctuate too much if I ordered 2 sets? :)

edit - This is asked in an open forum for any international customers who might find this helpful. It's not impossible that someone else would want two. :)

The shipping calc'd by the website may go up, but we'll recheck it before it ships. up to 4 or 5 kits can go in a Fedex envelope.

rjflyn
03-17-2004, 10:13 PM
On thing I noticed on your replaced grips photo is the screw stand out from the black grips quite a lot. Anyway that appropriate colored screws can be sent with grips.
RJ :?:

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2004, 10:18 PM
On thing I noticed on your replaced grips photo is the screw stand out from the black grips quite a lot. Anyway that appropriate colored screws can be sent with grips.

I did a mod: I used a Sharpie on mine! I'll post a picture later. I was looking for black nail polish, but my wife said thely black she had was buried somewhere in the Halloween stuff!

Steve

Kati Compton
03-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I did a mod: I used a Sharpie on mine! I'll post a picture later. I was looking for black nail polish, but my wife said thely black she had was buried somewhere in the Halloween stuff!

Uh-oh. Let me know when you get black hands! ;) Sharpie can in fact rub off...

Of course, you're probably not touching the screws a lot...

LWesson
03-17-2004, 11:19 PM

Pls see my answer earlier in the thread about the cover and the screws.

Pixelnose
03-18-2004, 02:33 AM
Hmm, given the amount of crap Juni has put up with because of his ppc hobby, he may just be getting a present to help make him happy with it again... but now maybe I'll have to get another set for me as well. Nevermind that my birthday is months away. :D

The shipping calc'd by the website may go up, but we'll recheck it before it ships. up to 4 or 5 kits can go in a Fedex envelope.

Steven Cedrone
03-18-2004, 02:38 AM
Of course, you're probably not touching the screws a lot...

Yes, they're recessed so it's really not a problem.

One thing I did notice, an old Palm III cover could almost be modified to fit the device now. I may play around until the official PPtech cover comes out! :wink:

Steve

Hal Goldstein
03-20-2004, 12:42 AM
I am not at all mechanically included, but I echo Steve's assessment. I really like my grips and it was pretty easy to install with the directions and tool.

Exec Editor
Pocket PC magazine

ixokai
03-21-2004, 12:02 AM
8) I just got mine and i'm thrilled. I sort of fell out of love with my 2215 because both its grips fell off; and i never could be bothered to call HP. I just hate calling people; i spend too much time on the phone during the day.

Now its sexy again. (Of course, I had to buy the grips, writeshield, and neat light-styus at once, so I had a general sexyness-upgrade).

Installation was easier then I thought it would be. Excellent job.

The screws are disappointing; they're so brilliantly silver and new that they are very easily seen. I'd rather they be black. :|

When the cover thing comes out i'll check it out; but it depends on just how they go about it. I wouldn't want a clear one, nor one which is flimsy and plasticy. I dunno. :) If I don't like it I might have to try to paint the screws or something.

Tah.

--Stephen

Pixelnose
03-23-2004, 09:49 PM
Hmm, well I tried to order, but maybe they don't do international shipping afterall. It seems they're trying to pan me off on Expansys instead. :roll:

I just hope (assuming they process my order), that they don't charge that outrageous 50 USD for shipping. :(

edit - they will ship international, and even gave more options. USPS is a lot cheaper. Thanks! :D

vgakh
03-24-2004, 12:47 PM
I'd like to know two things:
- whether I can order and purchase them FROM Russia?
- how much would it cost for me to ship it upto here? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

draiken
03-25-2004, 08:25 PM
any options for shipping to Mexico Amazon? anything else?

dcharles18
03-25-2004, 09:07 PM
Any updates on the flip cover??

Pixelnose
04-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Juni and I got the grips on Friday. These replacements are awesome. I got blue and he got silver (no chance of confusing who's ipaq is whose now) :)

And in case Juni hasn't said anything:

They work with the Vaja iVolution case. :D

bnycastro
04-06-2004, 03:14 AM
I emailed PPCTechs on 3/22/2004 and got a reply on 4/4/2004 I think they are swamped back there (well which means it's good business)! Well, I live in the Philippines and was wondering if they could ship it here. and How much it would cost I've already asked for a quotation of the blue colored grips but it might be faster here at the PPCT forums :wink:.

Also I have another problem which I hope you guys could help me with. The side grips for my iPAQ have fallen off the problem is the bit got stuck inside my iPAQ and you can even here it if you shake the iPAQ :cry:. My device is in warranty (I bought it last July), The hp service center is not far (30 mins w/o traffic), my problem is this after calling hp service center this is what they say: If I would like to get the free replacement grips from hp I would have to bring in my unit and leave it for 3 days (just to replace the grips)! Can you believe that? 3 whole days! they say they have to put the device under observation what the hell does that mean? I brought up the 'fallen/broken' bit problem and the hp rep told me that the service center in Manila is not authorized to open/work on iPAQs the unit would have to be sent to Singapore... Anyway the rep says I should just bring in my unit and the receipt and they will just replace the unit 8O if it is still in warranty! I mean is this really how service centers work if so they will be loosing money if they replace each iPAQ with lousy grips with a brand new iPAQ! Would it be a good idea to open up the iPAQ myself and take out the plastic bit? How do I go about doing this? I would like to take out the plastic bit before getting my PPCTechs grips (so where is my quotation?? hehehe) any help will be much appreciated.

I hope I can find my reciept though just in case... I really need to have it replaced.

May the FORCE Be With You...

hp iPAQ 2210 + ASUS WL-110 CF WiFi

Steven Cedrone
04-06-2004, 12:48 PM
If you open your Ipaq, you will definitely void the warrenty. If you take the Ipaq to the service center, will they give you a new replacement then and there? Or do you still have to wait?

Steve

bnycastro
04-07-2004, 06:13 AM
@Steve: The person I talked to was very vague regarding the warranty procedures, she kept on insisting that I just drop by the service centre. I would call again but here in the Philippines it is already holidays till next week(holy week). Well I have found my reciept and am still in waranty so I will probably bring in my unit next week. I wonder if they give you a new unit or just a refurbished one? Anyone has any experiences with hp's warranty procedures? My guess is I'd have to wait, customer service/consumer rights are not so ok here... :( It would be nice to get my ppctechs replacement grips quotation though (hint hint) well I'm off on holiday and don't think I will get the chance to connect til monday (no hot spots were I'm goin)

hp iPAQ 2210 + ASUS WL-110 CF WiFi

bnycastro
04-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Happy Easter to all... I'm back from holidays. Anyway I called the hp service centre again.

The Good News: The rep I talked to confirmed that if I would bring in my unit and have it replaced it would be a brand new one (provided it is in warranty).

The Bad News: It would take a minimum of 14 days to get my replacement unit.

I am now performing all backups and synching my info. I'll be bringing in my iPAQ to the centre tomorrow... It will be a long 14 days for me :cry: