View Full Version : Extracting data from .dba HP Backup file

randy80016
03-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Is their anyway for me to get the data off of my .dba backup file?

Right now, my Pocket PC is fubar because I broke the digitizer. LCD works, but I can't get past the PocketPC screen calibration since it wont recognize any taps- my calendar and contacts are backed up, both to ROM and in a .dba backup file on my compact flash disk.

So, I have access to the .dba file on my PC, but it is unreadable by me.

Also, I lost my contacts/calendar on my PC due to my own botching of a partition operation.

Is their anyway I can access this backup? Or maybe if worse comes to worse, some kind HP560 series user would let me email/ftp them the backup file and they could restore it on their PDA and email me the individual outlook importable files that contain these data. That would only be a last resort if I cant figure out anyother way.

Thanks guys.

JohnnyFlash
03-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Randy, you can try a program called Quick View Plus.

Here is a link to a 30 day trial version: http://www.tucows.com/preview/302331.html

You can open and view almost any type of Windows or Mac file. Plus it will let you copy and paste the info you need from your old db into a new file.

I have used this method myself to save my own bacon in the past.

Hope this helps. :)

randy80016
03-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I tried using this, however, all I got was a gigantic, mostly cryptic file when viewed with notepad.

I think what you told me would work for viewing the actual calendar/contacts databases, but the file I have is a complete .dba backup created by the HP BACKUP application, this includes programs,files,settings etc that were in on the device.

I need to be able to extract the actual files from within this archive, then I would be able to examine the outlook databases.

Thanks again if anyone can help!