View Full Version : How much would you pay?

Falstaff
03-16-2004, 04:03 AM
In response to a question felixdd asked in this thread, (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25715&start=0) I started this poll to find out how much PPCT members would pay for a PPC with the following specs:
- 4" VGA Screen
- 520 MHz Processor
- Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth
- Dual slots (SD & CF I/II)
- 2 GB Internal HDD
- Removable battery
- Updated OS with VGA support and portrait/landscape switching
- 128 MB RAM

If you see anything that you would do differently if you could make your own dream PPC, please say so. I'd like to see a USB 2.0 port built in and a fuel cell (but that's a little ways off).

**Edit: Hmmm... apparently, if you edit a post with a poll attached, the poll goes away. Well, that's...interesting... Let me start it over.

Zack Mahdavi
03-16-2004, 04:03 AM
I think for a PDA like that, fuel cells are mandatory! :mrgreen:

dean_shan
03-16-2004, 04:26 AM
That'd be nice but how would you power it all. That thing would drain fast.

PetiteFlower
03-16-2004, 06:47 AM
You don't have an option for "I'm not interested in a PDA with those specs".

jimski
03-16-2004, 07:10 AM
What, no ROM or RAM! How about throwing in at least 64MB of each for the OS and a little wiggle room for the open applications.

Ryan Joseph
03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
As long as we're dreaming about killer specs, why not add GSM/GPRS to the mix? :wink:

ctitanic
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
As long as we're dreaming about killer specs, why not add GSM/GPRS to the mix? :wink:

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for here: A killing machine with GSM-GPRS/BT/WiFi all in one.
0X

ironguy
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
It would be nice for future PPCs to have timy replaceable drives or memory that could be upgradable. These drives and/or memory could also be reloaded with OS updates outside of the unit. You just slide in the new drive, close the cover and you're done.

rhmorrison
03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
I would gladly trade the BT receiver for a built-in GPS receiver.

disconnected
03-16-2004, 04:57 PM
I voted for over $700.00, but I'd also love to have GPS built in (in addition to Bluetooth, NOT instead of -- I want to connect to a bluetooth phone).

Steven Cedrone
03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
In order to fix the poll, the votes were wiped out. Please re-vote when you get a chance (I think it will let you)

Steve

bucho
03-17-2004, 06:40 AM
I would like prefer a smaller screen though. A higher resolution is more important to me then the physical size of the screen... Also, I can't imagine any dream device without voice and GPRS capabilities in addition to BT/Wi-Fi. That would be so 2003. :)

The battery life is key though... I would need at least 12 hour always-on GPRS standby and ~ 3 hours usage time.

With all that and a decent design I would pay $1000+

Kati Compton
03-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Now, if it could fold up to be 1/4 its size when put in my purse... then I'd pay more. ;)

jneely
03-17-2004, 06:41 AM
Well, I'd add:
- A REALLY high capacity, user-replaceable battery
- nVidia or ATI 3D accelerated video chipset (along with new OS DirectX support)
- mini-USB port
- decent built-in speaker and high-quality headphone out jack (properly amplified)
- powerful "Pronto quality" IR port

128MB RAM was mentioned, but I'd also throw in 64MB ROM and maybe 64-128MB persistent file store (and the mini HD).

I'd pay a LOT for something like this.

Zack Mahdavi
03-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Now, if it could fold up to be 1/4 its size when put in my purse... then I'd pay more. ;)

Add an Organic LED screen to the list.. 8O

rogrees
03-17-2004, 06:56 AM
for playing music in the car!

jeasher
03-17-2004, 07:29 AM
My device MUST have a keyboard. My h4355 is spoiling me.

Imageman
03-17-2004, 08:11 AM
I'd pay more than 700 if you added RIM functionality to the device.

as a business traveller... that's a must for me.

JonnoB
03-17-2004, 09:02 AM
you forgot the:

flip lid
thumboard
jog dial (sometimes missing in a PPC)
consumer IR
game-friendly d-pad and buttons

rnuqui
03-17-2004, 09:34 AM
I think what we're all looking for is a Star Trek tricorder. Now, how much would you pay for that? :mrgreen: 0X

wizardmaster2k
03-17-2004, 09:43 AM
what i would like to see... (my devise)

-ipaq 2215 size
-vga
-128ram
-64rom
-miniHdd
-casio em-500 button layout
-intel 520mhz w/ ati or nvidia graphics
-wifi and gprs or other cellular capable type
-jog dial
-6hr battery
-consumer IR w/ nevo type app
-good OS
-vibrate feature
-usb port! w/ host capibility
-dual SD/CF slots
-nice indoor/outdoor display

:twisted:

dutchcfi
03-17-2004, 10:33 AM
check out the Issimo V at pocketpcreviews.net but it might be well over $700!

dmjames
03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
I voted for $700 plus, would certainly like to ahve GSM/GPRS included in the unit, would like something of similar size to ipaq/XDA II, speed and memory are importand, as is a good quality screen. Sizw needs to be similar to ipaq/XDA II as this machine will be with me all the time.

Currently use ipaq 5450 and Nokia 6600, upgraded from Nokia 9200i, before that Palm user.

jonathanchoo
03-17-2004, 12:14 PM
based on today's tech:

Texas Instruments OMAP2420 Processor
ATi Imageon 2300
VGA screen with 32-bit colour using Sharp's CG Silicon LCDs
64Mb ROM for OS, 128Mb ROM for applications
128Mb RAM for running applications
Bluetooth v1.2 Class 1
WiFi 802.11g (not so important)
GSM900/1800 plus GPRS Class 12
DAB tuner (DVB would be nice but I don't think the technology is here yet)
GPS
1x SDIO slot
Removable 2000mAh Lithium-Polymer battery
Analog controller plus jog dial
2Megapixel SuperCCD Digital Camera with Carl Zeiss lens
Titanium Case
In a T3 or Palm m5xx form factor
PPC, PalmOS dual OS. Other OSes capable to boot from memory card (ala Psion)
miniUSB 2.0 with external Harddrive drivers

£1000

DaleReeck
03-17-2004, 01:57 PM
I think what we're all looking for is a Star Trek tricorder. Now, how much would you pay for that? :mrgreen: 0X

I want a phaser so I can stun people who pi$$ me off :D

And a transporter so I can go to Hawaii any time I want :multi:

pivaska
03-17-2004, 02:20 PM
When you work for a company that will buy you anything you need/want.... bring it on! Make sure it has a rotational VGA mode that you can adjust font size on the fly too.

dhpss
03-17-2004, 02:34 PM
A FM-transmitter built-in would be nice.

hakubak
03-17-2004, 03:44 PM
If I can have suitable phone connectivity, you can keep the WiFi/Bluetooth/IR features.

Side rant on Bluetooth: Will someone PLEASE make an interesting application for this technology. Examples:
* A portable printer capable of printing on 8.5x11 paper
* A television
* A garage door opener
* A vending machine

I'd like a pop-out USB connector so that I could use the PDA as a data storage device without installing ActiveSync.

I prefer keyboards (or thumb-boards) too.

Someone still has to top the flip-up cover on the Jornada. My iPaq cover is suitable for protection, but it's a nuisance to hold when it's open.

normaldude
03-17-2004, 04:16 PM
My ideal PPC..

- Just needs the SD slot; CF would probably add too much bulk.

- Small size: 4.5"x3.0"x0.4" would be good.

- Flip Cover: removable, gives solid screen protection, and keeps the PPC cradle syncable.

- Built-in Bluetooth and 802.11g.

Note: I prefer to have my PPC either a) in my front pocket, or b) cradle synced at my desk. Therefore, I prefer small size & flip cover (cradle syncable) over power features.

JohnnyFlash
03-17-2004, 05:32 PM
I voted for $700+, but in order to pay that I'd need:

5" screen (with VGA, I'm spoiled now)
Nvidia or ATI 3D acceleration (with at least 8 megs of ram)
USB host port (with generic drivers for common accesories)
at least 128 megs AVAILABLE ram (512 would be better)
at least a one gig hard drive (upgradeable)
500+ mhz processor
3-5 hour battery
a VERY cool case (Toshiba, are you listening?)
GPRS / GSM (or other internet everywhere technology)
Keyboard (external is okay, it doesn't have to be built on)
Flip cover (I miss my Jornada)
Built in GPS (with maps)

Finally, i don't get the whole "I want a small form factor" camp. I like the large size of my E-805. I don't like dainty. When I pay $500+ for a piece of hardware, I want it to feel substantial. I like heavy. I want it to feel like a big time machine in my hand. I guess, to me, light feels cheap. I definitely think that capabilities are WAY more imprtant than size. My laptop weighs over 7.5 pounds, but that doesn't stop me from carrying it almost everywhere I go.

I guess I'm just weird. Scratch that, I KNOW I'm weird....I've been told so far too many times to ignore the obvious. 8)

Palmguy
03-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Not sure how much I'd pay, probably quite a bit though...

-iPaq 2210 form
-black or gunmetal metal case (I'm really sick of plastic, my old Palm V sure is bringing back some memories!)
-VGA (with full software support, easily customizable font size, toolbars, scrollbars, menubars etc.)
-128 megs RAM
-802.11g, no other wireless tech.
-jog dial
-CF/SD, or internal HDD instead of CF

lkawamot
03-17-2004, 06:25 PM
My dream PPC setup would basically be an iPaq 2200 with...

* Upgradable processor

* Upgradable RAM

* mini-USB port (host capable)

* 802.11g

* Folding display which can flip open to expose a larger area for handwriting recognition/scribbling purposes

* Fuel Cell or a very high mAh battery

* built in LED Keyboard (www.ibizpda.com)

* built in GPS

* vibrate mode

* better speaker and/or better speaker placement

* "audio in" jack

* Portrait/Landscape capable VGA screen

* more pen based input features like "scribble out" from the Newton

* an upgraded Voice Commander which can learn new words and be tied in to an OS feature like that of the Apple Newton's "Intelligent Assistant" (example: I could say something like "Remind me to pick up my coat at the cleaners today" and it will set up a task item, or "When is John Smith's birthday?", etc)

... I miss my Newton... and I'd probably pay $700+ for this setup...

mashtim
03-17-2004, 06:29 PM
In addition to, well, EVERYTHING, I'd also like to see a transmitter like the iRock! in there. That way when I'm driving along using my GPS, I can get the sound over the radio without a line-in jack. Works in hotel rooms, etc, too!

Uh, an FM transmitter! That's the term I was looking for! :wink:

JonnoB
03-17-2004, 06:44 PM
Finally, i don't get the whole "I want a small form factor" camp. I like the large size of my E-805. I don't like dainty. When I pay $500+ for a piece of hardware, I want it to feel substantial. I like heavy. I want it to feel like a big time machine in my hand.

I think what you want is not a PPC, but a Tablet PC.

normaldude
03-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Finally, i don't get the whole "I want a small form factor" camp. I like the large size of my E-805. I don't like dainty. When I pay $500+ for a piece of hardware, I want it to feel substantial. I like heavy. I want it to feel like a big time machine in my hand.

For things I carry in my front pants pockets all the time (wallet, keycase, cellphone, PDA) small form factor is important. I like to carry everything in my front pants pockets so no matter what I'm wearing (shorts, jeans, slacks, sweatpants), I can carry everything in the same place.

Do you like 1980s brick sized cellphones? I don't. I prefer a small cellphone with no external antennae (nothing to break off while in my pockets).

Since my front pants pockets are limited in space, I do whatever to minimize the bulk of the objects I carry. For example, I like to always have a pen with me, so I used to always carry a ballpoint pen in my pocket. I thought about getting a stylus/pen combo for my PDA, but that would require hunting for a new one every time I bought a new PDA. So instead, I just bought a tiny Wallet Pen ( http://www.styluscentral.com/walletpen.html ) which fits in my wallet, and takes up no space.

But there are PDAs of all sizes, so I think everyone's needs are satisfied. Some people like myself will buy the smaller PDAs, and some people like yourself will buy the bigger PDAs.

tsapiano
03-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Since we are having fun here, my ideal configuration would be:

- Start with iPaq 5550 (form factor and all)
- VGA Screen (existing size is fine if necessary to maintain expansion pack support, but a ~4-4.5" screen would be nice)
- Accelerated graphics controller (ATI, etc...).
- True 24-bit Colour and ICM support in the OS.
- Add integrated 1.8" 40GB Toshiba HDD (similar to MP3 players)
- Add external antenna port for 802.11 adapter so I can rig a better antenna to the unit itself.
- Add USB Host support and common device classes (MSC, PTP, HID, etc...)
- Improve integrated speaker and microphone.

Stuff that would be cool but I wouldn't be too dissapointed if they weren't there...
- 500+ MHz processor with vector unit (or DSP)
- 256MB of RAM
- Replace onboard SD card slot with CF card slot (if it doesn't fit (mechanically or electronically) the expansion pack is fine).
- Interchangable radio modules like the 5600 prototype had (EDGE, EVDO, etc.) - data service only would be fine, but some type of PTT support would be cool as well (especially if it could switch on the fly between 802.11 VoIP and 2.5/3G cellular).
- Integrated GPS radio (possibly using above radio module system)
- Add a better, stronger chassis and seal the device wherever possible so that it can handle field use a little better - I don't need to be able to soak it or use it as a hammer, but enough to take a little rain or a 3ft fall without having to be worried about it. Existing ruggedized units are way too much overkill for me, but I would like something with a little better build than existing PPCs.

For the basic package I'd happilly pay $800 - if they added everything, I'd pony up as much as $1300 if it did it all really well. Likely won't happen seeing as everyone is on a small form factor kick lately - however one can always dream ;)

Alternately, if someone could make a small TabletPC that fit in between the two formats it would definately interest me. A slate device with a ~4.5" 600x800 screen, ULV Pentium-M, 256MB RAM, 256MB flash (for quick hibernation), 40GB 1.8" HDD, integrated 802.11g/BT and a pair of CF card slots would be just about perfect if the price were right. I'd love to be able to have a PDA-sized device that could run Photoshop on it. When you start pushing to 5" or larger screens it becomes difficult to carry around everywhere and can be impractical in many circumstances. Although the battery life would likely still be a problem...

razor
03-17-2004, 07:52 PM
My Dream Pocket PC... would have a price point as a feature! The first truly great ppc, the iPAQ 3650 was $499 and met more than the majority of users expectations for that date and time. It had flaws, as every device has, but, the value for the price was 'a dream'. If I recall, some other units were priced higher, so the iPAQ was sold in volumes making it the best seller of all time. And for those who recall, the photos were 'leaked' to the world before it's intro, not unlike the controversy today with leaked photos.

Bottom line is value for the price! Laptops were much more expensive in 2000, but today are competing for that $700 point you noted in the choices. If/when tablet pcs lower in price, PDAs in the $700 range will sell poorly.

Jus' my 2 cents worth.....

Wiggin
03-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Great read! Based upon the input so far, and a with a little cut/paste effort, allow me to present:
The Ultimate PPC (as defined by the combined input from the super-enthusiasts at PPCT) :mrgreen:

- 4-5" VGA Screen
- 520 MHz Processor (or more... never enough!)
- 256 MB RAM - upgradeable
- 2 GB Internal HDD - upgradeable
- WiFi / Bluetooth / GSM / GPRS / RIM
- Dual slots (SDIO & CF I/II)
- USB 2.0 port (host-capable)
- A high capacity removable battery (or a Fuel cell would be nice!)
- Integrated Keyboard (LED as an option)
- GPS
- FM Transmitter
- Accelerated video card and DirectX support
- Stereo speakers
- Audio-in jack
- Industrial strength IR port for real-world remote use
- 2+MegaPix camera
- Flip cover (removable)
- Jog dial
- Vibrate feature
- Voice command
- On-the-fly portrait/landscape switching and font adjustments
- Titanium casing (black as optional color)
- hp 2215/4150-ish size (with a big & hearty version for those who like their electronics big)

Now, come on OEMs, is that so hard to produce??? :razzing: I would pay mucho $$ for this device! Bring it on! :multi: :way to go:

ps - sorry, but I chose to hold off on including Phaser, tri-corder, and transporter functions, oh, and ¼-size foldability :D:worried:

bbarker
03-17-2004, 08:21 PM
What this discussion tells me is how important it is for manufacturers to offer ever more choices in form factor and features. The Motorola PPC Phone with the dual-hinged display is a great example of new concepts.

For most of those who have commented, size and weight don't seem to be as high a priority as features and power. I'm with the smaller-is-better crowd, but not at the expense of the features I want. The 4150 is a good example of putting a lot into a small space.

JonnoB
03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
I think size (smallness) is important if someone considers its use as a phone or pocketability to be an important 'feature.' If however, the user wants to use a PPC in a traditional PDA-only role, then the super-small size is not as important as power and rich feature set.
I think that more power and function can be squeezed into smaller devices is better. The only exception is the higher resolution displays that really require a larger screen to be most appreciated. I think the lines between smartphones, pocket pcs, and tablet pcs will become so blurred over time that there will be a good option for everyone.

Jacob
03-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Now, come on OEMs, is that so hard to produce??? :razzing: I would pay mucho $$ for this device! Bring it on! :multi: :way to go:

heh. This does sound quite hard to produce.

- 4-5" VGA Screen
- Integrated Keyboard (LED as an option)
- 2+MegaPix camera
- hp 2215/4150-ish size (with a big & hearty version for those who like their electronics big)

This means: 4.47 x 2.78 x .53 in.

A 4-5" screen on a device that is 4.47 inches big....don't forget the buttons and the keyboard ;)

It depends on the "-ish" part of the "hp 2215/4150-ish size" of course.

They might be able to stuff all that in a tosh. e800 kinda sized device..

Kowalski
03-17-2004, 11:16 PM
this is not exectly my dream machine.
idont want a hdd. 1gb CF card will fit my needs.
and additional USB capability would be soo nice.

id pay 600+ for this device

sracer
03-18-2004, 06:54 PM
My "dream machine" is so close to what is currently available, it's sad. :)

Basically an HP 2215 with:
- integrated Wi-Fi (instead of BT)
- 2 GB Internal HDD
- port to attach external VGA display
- USB host

That's it! I love my 2215. I don't need VGA res on the device's screen, but would love to have it available for externally attached monitor. USB hosting would be cool too.

Sounds like a Tosh e755 with the expansion pak would be much closer to what I'm looking for. The only question would be with regard to external keyboards. I really like the Compaq folding keyboard ($35) for the iPAQ, and Toshibas are notorious for poor aftermarket support...especially in choices for external keyboards. (hardwired keyboards, not those pitiful IR keyboards).