View Full Version : Let's Create A FAQ On Hard Resetting Various Devices

Ed Hansberry
03-15-2004, 03:00 PM
One of the questions I see most often is "How do I hard reset my {insert device name here?}" Other than my iPAQs, I really have no clue and too often manuals don't shed any light, so, reply to this thread with your device and how to hard reset it if you know how. No discussion and no repeats. If you see someone has posted incorrect info, contact me on the contact forum and I will modify their post or contact them directly for clarification.<br /><br />I'll start.<br /><br /><b>iPAQ 3100, 3600, 3700</b> - Remove any expansion packs. Slide open the battery door on the lower left and slide the little switch to the right. Wait 30 seconds and slide it to the left again and plug the iPAQ in.<br /><br /><b>iPAQ 2200, 3800, 3900, 5100, 5400, 5500</b> - Turn the device on and remove any expansion packs and/or memory cards. Press and hold down the outermost right and left buttons and then press and hold in the soft reset button with the stylus. Wait until the screen fades <i>completely</i> out and wait 30 seconds. Now, plug the device in and press the soft reset button. Note that this will <i>not</i> clear the iPAQ File store. You will need to launch File Explorer and manually delete all data in there. Some report that you don't need to apply power, simply do a soft reset. I know you need to on a 3900, but later devices like the 5500 and 2200 may have removed that step. Applying power won't hurt, but if it doesn't work on the battery, plug it in then soft reset. :way to go:<br /><br />Thanks to DualShock, JR, dhettel, Steve Cedrone<br /><br />There. That takes care of the Compaq designed iPAQs. Only about 100 devices to go. :D<br /><br /><b><i><span style="color:red">Update</span></i></b> Let me repeat. No discussion.

The Yaz
03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Ed,

On an Audiovox Maestro, simply look for the white battery switch on the bottom of the device (next to the usb port). Push the switch towards the usb port to disconnect the battery.

Once the power goes off you must make sure to push the switch back to its original position or the pda will not be able to recharge.

(Don't ask how I know about that...)

Steve 8)

VanHlebar
03-15-2004, 03:47 PM
For a Dell Axim X5: remove the battery and the backup battery. Wait five minutes and then replace the batteries. Turn the unit on and press the appropriate button ( I can't remember if it is the mail button or the contacts button) to remove all data.There is no need to remove the batteries. Just push in the soft reset button and power button at the same time.In addition to Eric's information above, you will need to hold the power and soft reset dimple for about 5 seconds. The screen will then prompt you to either cancel or continue by selecting the e-mail button (cancel) or the contacts button (complete the hard reset).

For a Dell Axim X3i: hold down the power button while soft resetting the device. Again press the contacts button to remove all data or the mail button to cancel the hard reset.

-Eric

r3tro
03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Hewlett-Packard iPAQ 41xx / 43xx

According to the manual:

1. Press and hold the Power button (on top of the device)

2. Press the Reset hardware button: unscrew your stylus and press the tip of its end piece into the small hole on the
[41xx] right side (viewed from iPAQs back side) of the battery compartment)
[43xx] bottom

3. Release the Power button first, then the Reset button

4. The Pocket PC resets and powers on

Tested with iPAQ 4150 (german version)

Chris Spera
03-15-2004, 04:01 PM
On the Samsung i700, press the soft reset button and the power at the same time. Hold both in until the screen blanks and then press Power to cycle/ turn the device back on.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Jon Westfall
03-15-2004, 04:05 PM
T-Mobile Pocket PC / XDA / MDA: Using a paperclip, press into the smaller hole on the bottom of the unit (It has an icon of a battery with a line through it). Wait a few seconds, then press it again. Unit will power up and be reset. Update to this tip "He mentions using a paper clip in the smaller of the two holes, but in fact the device has a special "mini stylus" just for sticking into that hole. Most people don't know it's there, but if you unscrew the top (not stylus tip) end of the stock stylus, you'll find a plastic tip designed to go into the "battery on / off" hole.

XDA II / MDA II / I-Mate / QTek 2020: Using the stylus, press into the hole at the bottom left of the unit while simultaneously pressing the power button.

Viewsonic V36: Remove battery and slide switch to Off. Wait a few seconds, slide switch to On, replace battery.

Ed: Thanks for deleting the discussion threads! Especially the Anti XDA II one ;)

Thanks to Brosenow for info on the QTek 2020.

rock
03-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Toshiba e805 - Use the stylus to slide the switch to the right under the rubber flap which is above the wifi switch on the bottom of the unit. Flip it back after a few seconds.

All units - Run Remover and choose "Hard Reset" from the recycle bin icon. This is the best way to do it IMO. :)

Jorgen
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
IPAQ-h1910

1. Press and hold the Power button.
2. Use the stylus to press the Reset button on the side panel
3. Hold all buttons until the unit resets. A progress graph will display on the lower portion of the screen.
4. Release the Power button and stylus.

I assume that "all buttons" is American for "both buttons" :)

Jorgen

Jorgen
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
HP-568

To restore the factory defaults
1. Disconnect all cables, including the ac adapter, from the hp-568
2. Remove the backup battery. Use the stylus to hold the backup battery lock in the OPEN position, and then slide out the backup battery tray.
3. Remove the main battery.
4. Wait at least 5 minutes, and then reinstall the main battery, reinstall the backup battery, and reconnect the ac adapter.
5. Your hp Jornada should turn on automatically and display the Welcome Wizard.
6. If you have enabled hp emergency backup, you will be prompted to restore your PIM databases from the hp safe store folder.

Jorgen

Jorgen
03-15-2004, 04:51 PM
HP-548

1. Disconnect from power supply and computer
2. Use the stylus to hold down the reset button
3. While holding down the reset button, press the on/off button
4. Switch the hp-548 on

Jorgen

rlobrecht
03-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Toshiba E740
Slide the white switch on the bottom of the unit to the right for a few seconds, and then slide it back. This is the unlabelled switch between the WiFi switch and the cradle connector.

Dominator
03-15-2004, 06:55 PM
ViewSonic V37
On the back of the device push the battery switch to the off position. Wait 3 minutes. Turn the battery switch to the on position. In approximately 30 seconds the unit will turn on displaying the welcome screen.

This is a great idea Ed!!

Dominator

markvan
03-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Toshiba e800 - Hold the power button in and then stick the stylus into the soft reset hole on the right of the device.

dean_shan
03-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Toshiba e7xx models can be hard reset by moving the white switch on the bottom near the dock connection port. Move it to the right with the stylus wait a bit and then move it back to the left.

johncruise
03-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Casio E-200/E-100/E-125/E-115/E-11 (not sure with the rest)

While turned ON, push and hold the power button and, using your stylus, poke the soft reset button. Note you have to confirm the hard reset with a press to the action button.

Thanks to Torgamm for additional info inserted above.

dlangton
03-16-2004, 02:10 AM
So far everybody is doing a hard reset the HARD way. I prefer a software method. For instance, PHM's Task Manager (among lots of other applications) allows a hard reset simply by selecting Shut Down|Hard Reset - after entering certain information. It's a lot easier than pressing buttons and removing batteries while standing on your head. :D

baker
03-16-2004, 04:39 AM
Toshiba e310

Slide the white switch on the bottom left to the left for a few seconds.

The manual says depress the power button at the top with the stylus in the hole in the back and release the power button. However, if the unit is off, all you need to do is push the stylus into the hole on the back.

Julio
03-16-2004, 06:56 AM
Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 600

1. Using the stylus, open the thin sliding door on the bottom-right-hand-side of the LOOX. This will uncover the hard reset switch
2. Again, using the stylus, move the hard reset switch to the right
3. Wait for 1 minute
4. Using the stylus, move the hard reset switch to the left. Close the thin sliding door to cover the hard reset switch.
5. Power on the device.

Presto!

Julio

Ed Hansberry
03-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Wow - great FAQ so far. Anyone else? Is the EM-500 the same as the other Casio's? I can't find my manual and don't want to hard reset to test it.

Anyone know the sequence on the @migo?
HP520/525?
Others?

peterawest
05-19-2004, 04:02 PM
IPAQ-h1940/45

1. Press and hold the Power button.
2. Use the stylus to press the Reset button on the side panel
3. Release the Power button and stylus.

sandsandeep
05-30-2004, 09:51 AM
could someone pleae let me know how would i reset my PDA qtek 1010
i have tried all possible combination

thanks in adv

sandy

Janak Parekh
05-30-2004, 07:48 PM
A quick Google search suggests the Qtek 1010 is just a rebranded XDA, so:

For a soft reset, there's a hole at the bottom right which you can tap using your stylus.

For a hard reset, it's a bit trickier. There's a much smaller hole along the bottom right that has a "battery disconnect" icon. You need to unscrew the stylus and use the small paperclip-sized tip to insert it into that hole. Once doing so, the unit will turn off immediately. Wait about a minute and insert the small tip into the hole again. The unit should then turn back on with no data.

--janak

sandsandeep
06-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Ji Janak

thank you so muhc it worked ... i hv tried all the combinations before except the one yo have mentioned cheers

Don't Panic!
06-08-2004, 12:35 PM
AXIM X30/624

Press and hold the power button while holding in stylus in soft reset hole for about 2 seconds. Follow the onscreen prompts.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

jonathanchoo
07-30-2004, 06:53 PM
I find that hard reseting does not delete everything. There are still bits and pieces in the database.

davidb67
11-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Some report that you don't need to apply power, simply do a soft reset. I know you need to on a 3900,
Update Let me repeat. No discussion.

Nope, no need for power on 39xx series - just hard-reset my 3970 this week WITHOUT power....
don't mean to be pedantic, but this thread is of a technical nature for those seeking to carry out the fear-inducing task!!!

Don't Panic!
11-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Axim X50v

Press and hold the power button while holding the stylus in the soft reset hole for 2 seconds. Follow the on screen instructions.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

rhodesd
02-01-2005, 03:26 AM
I recently inherited a Compaq 2180 Aero that was sitting in the charger for who know how long.

The problem I am having is that the unit is stuck on the Windows CE Welcome Screen. It states to press the "Action" button to continue. I have done this and nothing happens.

I have followed the manuals instruction to hard reset the unit by removing the batteries, but still the same problem.

I have also soft reset it. The unit resets and then ends up back at the Windows CE screen.

DOes anybody have any ideas or pherhaps know how to hard reset this unit?

:(

Dolphin
02-23-2005, 07:54 AM
iPAQ 3100, 3600, 3700 - Remove any expansion packs. Slide open the battery door on the lower left and slide the little switch to the right. Wait 30 seconds and slide it to the left again and plug the iPAQ in.

[b]

There is no switch inside the battery door on my rx3700... So this confused me a bit until I realized that the HP iPaq 3700 is a different unit than the Hp iPaq rx3700.

For the rx3700 my manual says to hold down the far left and far right buttons while using the stylus to reset in the normal place.

heymike
08-25-2005, 02:50 AM
poz301
press and hold the tiny hole on the bottom of your left with your stylus and at the same time, press the power button so that the dafault setting can be loaded. that's all. :devilboy:

Mr.E.
11-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Acer n35 (and some other n-series devices)

Hard resetting the Acer n35 is pretty obvious (also, well documented for such newbies like me).

If you take a look at the bottom of the device, you'll normally see three things from left to right: soft reset switch, data port, hard reset switch.

To perform a hard reset, move the hard reset switch from right to left with your stylus, then move back to right after 2-5 seconds. That's all.

Darius Wey
12-06-2005, 05:42 PM
E-TEN M600
Windows Mobile 5.0 - Pocket PC Phone Edition

(1) While holding down the power button, insert the stylus tip into the soft-reset hole (situated below the voice command button).

(2) When prompted with the following message, "Erase all data and load default?, hold down the Calendar button (which is temporarily assigned to Yes) for a couple of seconds.

(3) If you are further prompted with, "Delete registry only?", repeat the procedure by holding down the Calendar button for a couple of seconds.

If, for any reason, you do not wish to hard-reset your device, click the Home button (which is temporarily assigned to No) when prompted with the aforementioned messages.

Don't Panic!
12-06-2005, 06:03 PM
i-mate JasJar

Press and hold the two slash keys (They're the ones next to the answer and end call buttons on the keyboard) while holding your stylus in the reset hole. Choose 0 to restore to factory default or X to exit the hard reset process.

Ed Hansberry
01-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Any Windows Mobile 5 device

This assumes you have control of the device, not that it is locked in some infinte loop or something. Set the password to the device in the Password icon in settings. Now, soft reset. Deliberately get the password wrong 3-4 times. It will eventually ask you to type in something on the screen to confirm a hard reset.

Sort of a long way about doing it, but it helps if you can't remember some specific keystrokes.

Also, some WM5 devices have a "Restore to factory defaults" icon in Start|Programs.

m@w8
04-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Any Windows Mobile 5 device

This assumes you have control of the device, not that it is locked in some infinte loop or something. Set the password to the device in the Password icon in settings. Now, soft reset. Deliberately get the password wrong 3-4 times. It will eventually ask you to type in something on the screen to confirm a hard reset.

Sort of a long way about doing it, but it helps if you can't remember some specific keystrokes.

Also, some WM5 devices have a "Restore to factory defaults" icon in Start|Programs.

Hi Ed,
One thing to remember with WM5 is that a hard reset does not clear data or programs. It only clears hardware registers and stops running programs. To properly clear the memory you need to do a Clean Reset

On my hx2750 you do this to perform a Clean Reset
• Press and hold the Calendar, Power and Messaging buttons
• While holding down these buttons, use the stylus to lightly press the Reset button until the device restarts
• When the iPAQ restarts, release all of the buttons and the release the stylus.

To perform a Hard Reset on the hx2750 you do this
• Press and hold Calendar and iTask buttons.
• While holding down these buttons, use the sylus to lightly press the Reset button for about two seconds.
• When the screen begins to fade, release the Calendar and iTask buttons first, then remove the stylus from the Reset button.
• Plug the device into the AC Adapter or press the Reset button again to power on.

Ed Hansberry
04-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Ed,
One thing to remember with WM5 is that a hard reset does not clear data or programs. It only clears hardware registers and stops running programs.
A hard reset most certainly does clear all data. You just described a soft reset. :)

ctmagnus
05-21-2006, 04:44 AM
:confused totally: What's a "clean" reset?

Ed Hansberry
05-21-2006, 06:03 AM
:confused totally: What's a "clean" reset?pretty sure it is a made up term. ;)

Don't Panic!
06-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I've found the term "Clean Boot" used on the Windows CE Base Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/ce_base/archive/2006/02/09/How_OEMs_implement_Clean_Boot_on_WM5.aspx). I'm not a developer or programmer so it's a little complicated to me but it appears to say that the OEM can add the option to remove all data including persistent storage to devices they produce. If the OEM hasn't done that well then all your data remains but your registry and program settings are restored to factory defaults.

This is what I believe is meant by a clean reset in m@w8's post.

I wonder if he'll confirm my hypothesis? 0X

Ed Hansberry
06-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I've found the term "Clean Boot" used on the Windows CE Base Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/ce_base/archive/2006/02/09/How_OEMs_implement_Clean_Boot_on_WM5.aspx). I'm not a developer or programmer so it's a little complicated to me but it appears to say that the OEM can add the option to remove all data including persistent storage to devices they produce. If the OEM hasn't done that well then all your data remains but your registry and program settings are restored to factory defaults.
Well, to make matters more confusing, I had a friend send me a scanned image of his iPAQ 2755 manual. It says:
A hard reset stops all running applications, but does not erase any programs or saved data. A hard reset also resets all hardware registers. Be sure to save any unsaved data within a running application before performing a hard reset.
Now, that doesn't sound like a hard reset to me. It sounds like a soft reset.

It goes on to define a "clean reset" in the same mannor we hae used the term hard reset for years - wipes everything from the device. The blog entry you link to doesn't actually use the term "clean reset." It tells you how to accomplish a clean boot, which I would do by performing a hard reset - a real hard reset, not an HP recently defined hard reset.

Also, for those with WM2003SE/2003 or even 2002 with those ROM file stores, there was no way to clear those automatically. A ROM upgrade would because it would typically resize that area, but a hard reset would leave the file store alone, just like it would leave storage cards alone. WM5 doesn't wipe storage cards either, at least not by default. I don't know if there is a setting to allow that behavior in the OS or not. It wouldn't surprise me if there were for highly secure environments where an OEM could implement that for a specific build for a government agency or medical customer.

Hx4700
06-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Ed - I am pretty sure this "Clean Reset" idea came about wiith upgrading 2003 units to WM2005.
When I first tried to upgrade my Hx4705 I had a problem and thought I had made myself a 'Brick'. But a call to HP Support solved it. A very sharp guy worked with me and part of the process was this "Clean Reset" where you hold two buttons, the power button and push in the Soft reset button all at once (good trick, huh?). He said this cleaned out everything. I guess it did. He also said if this did not work - I had a brick! And would have to send the Hx to HP.
But all ended well.
Now my question is just what does a Hard Reset do thats between a Soft Reset and a Clean Reset? :?:
Ron...

Ed Hansberry
06-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Now my question is just what does a Hard Reset do thats between a Soft Reset and a Clean Reset? :?:
Ron...
That is my point. I think a hard and clean reset are the same thing, and HP seems to be using the latter terminology.

Hx4700
06-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Ron...
That is my point. I think a hard and clean reset are the same thing, and HP seems to be using the latter terminology.
Ed-
No, I think the Hard reset is closer to a Soft Reset now with WM2005, as the hard reset would not do enough so I (and the HP tech) could restart the WM2005 upgrade as I was talking about above.
And when I had another lockup recently, a Soft or Hard reset did nothing. I had to do the Clean reset button dance to get going again, and then I restored with Sprite backup with not too much missing.
Ron...

Don't Panic!
06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
The "button dance" (I like that!) has been the hard reset method for iPaqs since the 3800 series. This used to be such a straight forward thread.... :roll:

Update: Wait, Wait, IIRC the power button along with the two outer buttons was only used for ROM Updates. I wonder where this would leave you if you didn't have a new ROM to install?

Hx4700
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM
I wonder where this would leave you if you didn't have a new ROM to install?
You would probably have a very nice CE machine with lots of available memory. :lol:
Maybe you could use it for Lenix :devilboy:
Ron...

ctmagnus
07-31-2006, 06:46 AM
I didn't read through to see if the process is similar to the Jam, but:

i-Mate JAMin: Hold the Camera and Comm Manager and hit the reset button once. Then when the message comes up on screen, press the Answer button. Or you can use the Clear Storage applet in Control Panel to do the same.

nooriya_14
07-09-2007, 07:08 AM
hi...
am using imate jamin...now my processor is slow due to loadin of lot of files..i tried to 'clear storage',but i can't able to go to setting as it say
"cannot load resource libray
\windows\MCres.dll(18), exiting."

can anyone help me to clear this problem????????

Ed Hansberry
07-15-2007, 07:29 PM
hi...
am using imate jamin...now my processor is slow due to loadin of lot of files..i tried to 'clear storage',but i can't able to go to setting as it say
"cannot load resource libray
\windows\MCres.dll(18), exiting."

can anyone help me to clear this problem????????
It is really a shame that the device makers have relied so heavily on the "Clear Storage" feature they no longer include in their documentation how to do a hard reset in the even the device doesn't boot properly or you get an error similar to what you have received.

Two things I would try - since I can't find the hard reset steps on the internet. :roll:

1) Password protect your device and then soft reset. Now, enter the wrong password a few times and then follow the instructions to hard reset. Hopefully this will work.
2) If not, I suggest you visit the support boards at www.imate.com and see if someone there has the answer. If nothing else, one of their support persons should be able to help.

Don't Panic!
08-31-2007, 04:31 PM
To hard reset the HTC7501 you; 1. slide the volume slider down and at the same time use the stylus to press the reset button on the back of the device. 2. After a brief period of time two choices will appear on-screen. Press the center OK button to perform the hard reset. At this point if you don't want to do the hard reset anymore press the camera button to exit. 3. Press the power button