View Full Version : Corrupt undeletable files on my SD Card??

jussi
03-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi.
Last night my iPaq H4350 decided to just not turn on. Nothing I could do would make it turn on. So I had to do a hard reset. After doing that I put my 512M SD Card into a pc at work to drop onto it my Sprite Backup .exe I had made a week earlier.
The restore went fine but I noticed after putting the SD Card into the pc, there were a bunch of files on the storage card that I had not created, with weird names (Strange symbols etc) and I could not delete them, neither from the pc or from the ipaq. They are definitely corrupt since one of them reports as being 1.9 gigs large (!!).
So I'm wondering how to get rid of these files? I tried a few general cleanup utilities but none of them seem equipped to forcefully remove files of this nature.
So does anyone know what I can do? I have a lot of stuff on my storage card so I don't want to back it up to my pc and do a format if I don't have to. Thanks

Steven Cedrone
03-15-2004, 02:10 AM
So does anyone know what I can do? I have a lot of stuff on my storage card so I don't want to back it up to my pc and do a format if I don't have to. Thanks

Sorry, but I think you should back it up to your PC and format the card...

Steve

Kevin C. Tofel
03-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Would agree with Steve....I think you're looking at a reformat. I had a similar issue a few weeks back where I was finally able to delete the files, but the space was never freed up. I was forced to reformat...

Good luck!
KCT

Pony99CA
03-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I have a lot of stuff on my storage card so I don't want to back it up to my pc and do a format if I don't have to.
Have you done a SCANDISK on the card using your PC? If that didn't work, you might try PC Inspector Smart Recovery (http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm), a free program for recovering data files on flash cards.

Smart Recovery only works with some file formats, mostly images and audio, but it does claim to support Pocket Word and Pocket Excel files. Check it out, and let us know if it helps.

Steve

KenClunk
03-16-2004, 02:24 AM
:bad-words: I am very upset at sandisk. This has happened to me twice with thier SD cards. Not after a hard reset or anything. Just kind of out of the blue. I use the card mainly for music and have a sandisk pc reader that i pop the card into. Both instances i put the card in the reader and the folder opened, just as you sated all of the folders became weird names and numbers etc. I tried everything but nothiong helped. I contacted Sandisk and they directed me to that program of theirs but it didn't do the trick. So they sent me an e-mail i had to fill out and they then accepted a exchange on the card. It took about a week both times and it obviously solved the problem (being that they were new card) they had said that there were problems with certain numbers of cards and that they were sorry blah blah blah. The whole :treadmill: (run around) made me want to :pukeface2: (puke). Any ways the third card seems to have no problem at all so far (4 months now). This may bve a route to go if that program from their website doesn't work.