View Full Version : Speeding up CE machines through Registry editing?

Blue Sky Miner
03-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Hello,

I understand that in Windows CE, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\ "limit" value can be set at 4096, 8192 or 16384.

I have been told that setting the value to 16384 speeds up all graphical operations. Is this correct? Can you set the value higher and what are the performance benefits (if any). I goggled this topic but read conflicting advice.

Any other advice on using the registry to speed up CE machines?

Thanks guys. :D

powder2000
03-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I don't know the exact numbers you give, but I do know that a freeware called 'registryking' has a hack that speeds up the glyph cache. This supposedly speeds up the graphics.

Pony99CA
03-15-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't know the exact numbers you give, but I do know that a freeware called 'registryking' has a hack that speeds up the glyph cache. This supposedly speeds up the graphics.
I doubt it "speeds up" the glyph cache. It makes the glyph cache larger, which allows more "glyphs" to be kept in memory. Keeping the glyphs in memory can speed up some operations, just like PC cache, at the expense of memory usage.

For more about this hack, see Philippe Majerus' registry tweaks section (http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=11).

Steve