View Full Version : Pocket Excel Question

freakygreek
03-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm using a program to catalogue my Dvds called DVD Profiler. That software enables me to save my file as a .csv extenstion. I can import the file into my desktop version of excel.

My question is once my desktop excel has converted the file and opened it can I now move that on to my pocket pc. I want to know if pocket excel can open the file and how do I get pocket excel to open an imported file. Meaning a file that was not made using pocket excel.

I hope this all makes sense. :D

Many Thanks Peter

Janak Parekh
03-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Just save the imported file in .XLS format (using File, Save As on the desktop), and then copy it over to your Pocket PC.

If you've never moved a file to your Pocket PC, there are two ways:

- Via "Explore" in ActiveSync, which manipulates your Pocket PC's filesystem directly;

- Enabling "My Documents" synchronization, which adds a folder to your desktop in which you can drop files to be copied automatically to the Pocket PC's My Documents folder.

Feel free to ask more questions if I'm not being clear enough. ;)

--janak

freakygreek
03-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Janak,
Thanks for reply if I saved the file under the .XLS extension and I dropped it onto my SD card will I be then able to open it from that location, and will pocket excel read it.

Many Thanks Peter :D

Janak Parekh
03-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks for reply if I saved the file under the .XLS extension and I dropped it onto my SD card will I be then able to open it from that location, and will pocket excel read it.
Yes, Pocket Excel should be able to open that XLS file. I typically use ActiveSync to move files, which converts them directly into Pocket Excel's format, but on the occasion when I've done this I've had no problems.

--janak

Ripper014
03-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Or you can leave it unconverted and try a program such as SpreadCE... which will recognize excel spreadsheets...

freakygreek
03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
First thanks to all who replied to my question. Here's an update I managed to get excel loaded on my desktop. All seems to be okay I loaded it and opened it from my sd card it might not look pretty , but will do for now. The software makers of DVD Profiler have hinted for a while about a Pocket version, but that remains to be seen.

Many Thanks

Peter