View Full Version : question about Bluetooth USB on PC and WI-FI

jook00
03-13-2004, 08:42 PM
This USB blutooth thing allows blutooth access from pocket pc.
http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=GGIBTAD

- 1) Can it also let me surf the web through bluetooth?
- 2) How fast is bluetooth compared to Wi-Fi
- 3) Do I need to pay $20/monthly to use Wi-Fi?
a) what if its at University of Washington, is it free Wi-Fi?
b) what places have Wi-Fi? (ie. starbucks, barnes & noble)

Pat Logsdon
03-13-2004, 09:11 PM
1) Can it also let me surf the web through bluetooth?
Yes, as long as the computer you're connected to has internet access, and your ActiveSync connection is set up to allow pass-through access.

2) How fast is bluetooth compared to Wi-Fi
Lots. :mrgreen: Bluetooth is a cable replacement technology, and has less bandwidth and range than WiFi.

3) Do I need to pay $20/monthly to use Wi-Fi?
Only if you want to access a private network, like the T-Mobile hotspots at Starbucks, Border's, etc.

a) what if its at University of Washington, is it free Wi-Fi?
You might want to ask them, as the vast majority of people here do not attend that university. ;)

However, IF you're a student there, and IF they have a WiFi network, you probably have free access to it.

There are many places that offer free public access. The best way to find out is to walk in and ask.

dmy
03-14-2004, 07:15 AM
There are many places that offer free public access. The best way to find out is to walk in and ask.

One thing I'll add.... if you use WiFi and EVER find yourself in a starbucks buying a cup of coffee, ask for the TMobile coupon.... it works at any TMobile hotspot for free access for the time period on the coupon... not just at starbucks.

I drop in regularly for a cup of cofee but don't stick around if I'm on my way to the office, so I've got a wallet full that'll get me through almost any layover at various airports around the country.

D.