View Full Version : Ok MSN is ticking me off.

dmacburry2003
03-12-2004, 09:41 PM
I went into IE and went to MSN.com and I COULD NOT GET IN. Error four billion and four.

Well, I can't get into Messenger, but I can get into MSN Money... and I am typing this right now...

Seems like Microsoft is falling to pieces :) no... :(

dmacburry2003
03-12-2004, 09:43 PM
The status site says "Sign In
The .NET Messenger Service is temporarily experiencing difficulty. You may be unable to sign in. Please try again later.
Last Update: 3/12/2004 12:38:00 PM Pacific Time (GMT -8:00)"

So what is this, the seventh time it has shut down since the new year? :roll:

Jimmy Dodd
03-12-2004, 10:01 PM
I think Passport is whacked.

Janak Parekh
03-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah, there seem to be scattered issues everywhere.

MSN is not winning any reliability awards this year. :|

--janak

dmacburry2003
03-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, MSN Messenger seems to be a bit on the wack side... They even have a pop-up when you start it! :roll:

If the professional appearance of Windows Messenger could be combined with the reliability of AIM, then I'd be there #1 customer---oh wait... I already am :lol:

arnage2
03-12-2004, 11:09 PM
msn/passport goes down periodically. Try again in afew hours.

dmacburry2003
03-12-2004, 11:09 PM
I can't check my private e-mail...

David Prahl
03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
I can't get into MSN messenger either.

"Once they buy it or are forced to use it we don't care about it". IE 6. Windows. MSN Messenger. :roll:

JustinGTP
03-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Well problems do happen, and the fact is that you notice when MS does something wrong or something goes wrong is because of the fact that there are a whole bunch more people using the free service. Problems do happen and you are going to notice MSN Messenger go down a few times. And it's not like it is every day!

Janak Parekh
03-13-2004, 07:38 AM
Well problems do happen, and the fact is that you notice when MS does something wrong or something goes wrong is because of the fact that there are a whole bunch more people using the free service. Problems do happen and you are going to notice MSN Messenger go down a few times. And it's not like it is every day!
Yes, but AIM is just as large, and I'd guess it's failed perhaps once this year. MS has some ways to go on MSNM's reliability.

--janak

ironguy
03-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Imagine hosting a system and managing millions of virus infested emails along with millions of instant messages. Oh, and that's every day.

Standard MSN and Hotmail and Messenger are still free!

Janak Parekh
03-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Imagine hosting a system and managing millions of virus infested emails along with millions of instant messages. Oh, and that's every day.
But they're not the only one doing this. ;) Yahoo/AOL aren't suffering the same frequency of outages...

I'm not saying they're obliged to give 99.999% uptime for a free service. But it's in their interest to be able to pull that off.

--janak

dmacburry2003
03-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Hmmm... we need some sort of like... direct connection unit that doesn't require sign-in... but just the software. Wouldn't that be like just plain old e-mail though? Like, a two way connection with the hosting server being the two servers... except it would be integrated into the MSN Messaging app and all you would need to do is know the username (like a computer address) and send a request to it. This way when the network goes down, you still can connect to who you need to connect to.

Hey, it could work :lol:

Just for information, btw, Messenger is back up and running in full--and so is AIM, like it is everyday :wink:

Janak Parekh
03-14-2004, 02:28 AM
You're talking about a p2p chat program. They exist, but lack the ubiquity that server-based IM does, largely because that server adds a lot of functionality.

In fact, NetMeeting can be construed as a poor man's chat program.

--janak

dmacburry2003
03-14-2004, 02:31 AM
You're talking about a p2p chat program. They exist, but lack the ubiquity that server-based IM does, largely because that server adds a lot of functionality.

In fact, NetMeeting can be construed as a poor man's chat program.

--janak

NetMeeting... lol, I think Microsoft let that die and then forgot to remove it from the CD's. What is that newfangled sharing chatty business app they have now? I forget, but its in Office. Then there is also SharePoint services.

Trimac20
03-14-2004, 08:25 AM
I expect I'll get a new title (under my nic) since I've reached the 100-post milestone (which, I assume IS a milestone). I sometimes wonder at the unpredictability of Pocket MSN Messenger: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't: simple as that. It's rarely anything to do with the MSN Service itself. Fickle, that's the word to describe it.

Trimac20
03-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Why haven't I been given a new status! :evil:

Janak Parekh
03-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Why haven't I been given a new status! :evil:
Because they're not on predictable boundaries. See this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18253) or this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14648) discussion.

--janak