View Full Version : Please need help? Bought e-book's and cant use it

Eraserhead
03-12-2004, 08:49 PM
I just bought two e-book’s from Amazon and downloaded them to my desktop. But before I did that I activated both my desktop and my pocket pc. After i downloaded those book’s (the download window started and closed) and than Microsoft reader opens but my books are no ware to be found, and I cant even find them anywhere on my desktop ??? I have downloaded both books again and the same thing happens.

Please can anybody help me, I just spent 20$ and I want my e-books.

JohnnyFlash
03-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I think you'll find your e-books in a folder within your "My Documents" folder called "My Library" or something to that effect. After you Activate M$ Reader, it creates this folder, and then intercepts all your .lit files, and stores them there.

Hope this helps!

Eraserhead
03-12-2004, 09:13 PM
I have a My Library in my document´s folder but only two files (litpath.lpt and a folder called Annotations with a .lit file called Guidebook).

No other files in my library??

Steven Cedrone
03-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Are you looking on the desktop?

Steve

Eraserhead
03-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Yes I have serched for all .lit files on the computer but not found those that I have been looking for.

Jorgen
03-12-2004, 11:22 PM
That is strange as the books should automatically end up in My Libraryn as Blammage says. Run scandisk to ensure you don't have a disk problem.

If no disk problem: Is it possibly to download the ebook by clicking with the right mouse button and choose Save Target As (in explorer)? That would allow you to choose where to store the files.

Jorgen

susall
03-13-2004, 12:51 AM
I have a detailed thread on this somewhere, but until I track it down, some users have found that clearing their Internet cookies and temp files resolved this problem.

I will track down the detailed resolution as soon as I can.

-sulu

ctmagnus
03-13-2004, 01:43 AM
If no disk problem: Is it possibly to download the ebook by clicking with the right mouse button and choose Save Target As (in explorer)? That would allow you to choose where to store the files.

Jorgen

This requires editing the file type associations.

Essentially, open Windows Explorer, click on Tools -> Folder Options, click the File Types tab, select the LIT entry, click the Advanced button and select Confirm Open After Download. After that, any .lit ebooks he (she?) tries to download should prompt asking for a location to download to.

Eraserhead
03-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Good advice, but the Amazon page say´s that "you alredy have downloade´d thos books" and I cant try again. Boy I should just have orderd the paper version, this e-book stuff is tu complicated. But I sent a mail to amazon an Ill see what theyll say, hopfully they can solve my problem. Thanks for the advice.

Jorgen
03-13-2004, 08:28 AM
There is nothing wrong with ebooks - what is wrong is the DRM-implementation for .LIT. Using an ebooks should be as easy as using a toaster and this is possible to implement:

1. Visit Fictionwise and see if you like any of their multiformat books - no DRM. This also means that you willo not lose your investment *when* you change to another PDA. Fictionwise also keeps a library of all the books you have bought so you can anytime re-download.

2. www.peanutpress.com (which you can also buy from Fictionwise) has implemented DRM in a way that is easy to use. Personally: having to type in a creditcard number irritates me. But it works and has never failed for me. However, you *will* lose those books when you change to an unsupported PDA (e.g. Linux PDA, Psion (yes, they are apparently showing signs of life again).

We had lots of copyprotection in the DOS programs in the 80ies with all sorts of complications. In the end, thye gave up and most companies dropped the protection. So should MS and PeanutPress.

Jorgen

senfeng
03-16-2004, 04:45 AM
You say that you downloaded them to your "DESKTOP"? I'm wondering if you accidentally downloaded the .html files to your desktop. You also say that Amazon won't let you download the files again, but I've done this several times:

Make sure that you do the following:
1. Go to Amazon.com.
2. Click on the Your Account link on top
3. Click on the Download items from your digital locker link in the "Where's My Stuff?" section.
4. Find your order and click on the Download Again link
5. Click on the Download link for each of the books that you've ordered.

Personally, I don't like downloading ebooks from Amazon. They make you wait the extra day before downloading. The selection is good, but I'd rather Download my .lit files from Fictionwise or .pdb files from Palm Digital Media.

Hope this helped.[/b]

baker
03-16-2004, 05:14 AM
Make sure you have the up to date version of Reader. Then, make sure you're activated. If activation if giving you fits, clear out all of your IE cookies and then go back to activation. MS has a "help file" with the specific cookies to clear out, but I think it's missing one as I've tried it with no luck and resort to nuking them all. Drag the book to the ppc. The .lit book should have hit my library and if you've searched for .lit, I'd try searching for part of the book title without the .lit. If the download actually completed, something should be on your machine. Maybe Amazon delivered the wrong book type?

And for the next time:
"Microsoft Activation.Unload
Secrep.dat
Secrep.dll
Secrep.xml
Secrepid.dat

I even used the files from a hp-568 to activate a newer version of the reader on a h1910.

- soft reset to ensure nothing is running
- copy the files into \Windows on the PPC and "overwrite" the ROM files
- doubleclick the .xml file to load it into memory
- soft reset again and execute Reader which should then claim that it has been installed"

Another member here posted this some time back and I copied and saved the advice. The Sec...files are the activation files. It works as my PPC had a spontaneous hard reset this past Saturday night and my Reader is working fine. On the PPC sort by file type and run the last Sec file (.xml).