View Full Version : T-Mobile Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC Phone Upgrade -- Issues....

Cortex
03-12-2004, 06:52 PM
so i got the upgrade and it installed without a hitch. i took some advice someone posted and hard reset the device before starting the install.

overall i like it. spitting the volume control is great. have an edit option in most apps is helpful. and the best improvement by far is always on connectivity so now people can IM me or email anytime.

but these are few things ive noticed....

1. it seems to run slower. just opening apps has a bit more lag than before. not sure if im imagining....

2. when i have inbox set to check for email every X minutes, the unit seems to power the screen back on from an off state. im worried my batteries arent going to last. anyone else having problems with this???

3. file explorer is SLOW on my SD card. i think its because i have some pretty deeply nested folders but this wasnt an issue before...

any one else noticed anything funky???

rscorer
03-12-2004, 07:58 PM
You're lucky

I now have a paperweight which has T-Mobile written on it.

The upgrade which was posted on T-Mobile's site (and since taken down) has killed my PPC :(

Now it chimes at startup and I get a blank screen.

Not happy at all :( :(

pdhenry
03-18-2004, 07:39 PM
If you in fact obtained the upgrade from TMobile while it was posted you can get it replaced without the standard $70 charge. Hopefully you've contacted TMobile to get that ball rolling (they'll advance ship a replacement and then you return your busted one).

jcsickz
03-19-2004, 01:30 AM
3 issues so far

1. completely erased my mmc card without warning (could be coincidence but I doubt it)

2. no wireless modem program like I heard it would

3. media player does not continue playing after a phone call anymore (dangerous while driving)

otherwise i love it

mty
03-19-2004, 03:24 PM
3 issues so far

1. completely erased my mmc card without warning (could be coincidence but I doubt it)

SAME HERE--W/o warning or provocation it appears that my SD card, which had about 225MB of data, is blank.

I upgraded to Tmobiles 2003 OS six days ago, and did not experience any problems in those six days. In fact I installed many applications to the SD card in that time.

How long after the upgrade did it erase your card?

It's a SanDisk 256MB, about 1 year old, no problems so far.

IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF DATA RECOVERY?

Janak Parekh
03-20-2004, 06:22 AM
It's a SanDisk 256MB, about 1 year old, no problems so far.
Try putting it in a desktop machine and running Scandisk/CHKDSK on it before concluding what happened.

--janak

Cortex
03-21-2004, 04:01 PM
as it turns out i developed problems reading my sandisk 256MB card shortly after upgrading.

fortunately i backed it up prior to the upgrade.

i used flash format to test the card and it didnt find any errors, but i then tried pocket mechanic which has read/write testing and found several hundred bad sectors.

this card was always a little flakey but i was able to use it as my primary card for over a year but now its going to be for music and non-essential data....

it does seem strange that the error became more pronounced after the upgrade and i dont remember if it wiped it out completely or just had trouble reading certain files....

jcsickz
03-23-2004, 11:49 PM
my entire card was just erased for the second time... I'm getting furious now

rscorer
03-25-2004, 02:19 AM
If you in fact obtained the upgrade from TMobile while it was posted you can get it replaced without the standard $70 charge. Hopefully you've contacted TMobile to get that ball rolling (they'll advance ship a replacement and then you return your busted one).

Yes, thanks. Now in possession of shiny new PPC with 2003 running on it (I did the upgrade first thing!)

Thanks!

greg1205
03-25-2004, 06:53 PM
I did the upgrade to my t-mobile pocket pc and now when I talk on the phone for a while, the screen will shut off and won't come back on.

What's really strange is that if someone calls me, I can hear them talk, but all they hear is a ring on their end. Anyone know what could be causing this?

I'm not sure if it's the upgrade, the device (I had to do a handset exchange after the first upgrade killed my phone), or software (the only thing I've added is Microsoft Voice Command).

Any help will be appreciated. T-mobile's sending me another device and I don't want to have the same problems.

Thanks,
Greg

pdhenry
03-26-2004, 07:39 PM
The screen shutting off during a long call is normal. I usually can hang up and get the screen back on by pressing that red "hang up" button. If the screen is in fact not coming back on that's flaky.

The fact that you can answer the phone but the caller still hears the phone ringing sounds like a radio stack issue, I'm guessing. The call is being answered (You can hear them) but never being reported back (they still hear the phone ringing and not you).

Either way, it's good that you're getting a replacement phone. I haven't seen anyone else report the issues that you're having so it's probably not a WM2003 upgrade issue (when that fails it fails much worse than you're seeing).

greg1205
03-27-2004, 12:19 AM
The screen shutting off during a long call is normal. I usually can hang up and get the screen back on by pressing that red "hang up" button. If the screen is in fact not coming back on that's flaky.

Yup... Strange, Huh?

The fact that you can answer the phone but the caller still hears the phone ringing sounds like a radio stack issue, I'm guessing. The call is being answered (You can hear them) but never being reported back (they still hear the phone ringing and not you).

Interesting... I have a feeling it's got something to do with the "always (well, almost always if it works, if you reconnect after activesync, if the planets and stars are aligned) on data connection". I called Tier II WDS at T-mobile and they were, as always, clueless.

Either way, it's good that you're getting a replacement phone. I haven't seen anyone else report the issues that you're having so it's probably not a WM2003 upgrade issue (when that fails it fails much worse than you're seeing).

I'm now sitting here with three phones... My original that is completely dead, the first replacement that dies as soon as it self-powers off, and the new one that is still running PPC2002 and seems to be working. I downloaded XDATools hoping to get the ROM backed up, but of course I can't get that working properly... Very frustrating.

Thanks for your reply,
Greg

wellness
03-27-2004, 05:02 AM
:twisted:my storage card (ScanDisk 256k has been wiped out again!! I called T-Mobile and was told by level 2 that the scan disk card is not compatable with the 2003 upgrade... what can I use for a storage card?? Has anyone heard of a fix for this yet??

greg1205
03-27-2004, 03:09 PM
:twisted:my storage card (ScanDisk 256k has been wiped out again!! I called T-Mobile and was told by level 2 that the scan disk card is not compatable with the 2003 upgrade... what can I use for a storage card?? Has anyone heard of a fix for this yet??

What's not compatable? Do you mean the SanDisk 256Mb card? I use it fine for storage. Did you try to do the upgrade with the card installed? You don't want to do that... take the card out before you upgrade.

mty
03-27-2004, 10:17 PM

What's not compatable? Do you mean the SanDisk 256Mb card? I use it fine for storage. Did you try to do the upgrade with the card installed? You don't want to do that... take the card out before you upgrade.

I upgraded w/o the SanDisk 256 in, installed it later, installed apps on it, and several days later it spontaneously deleted everything.

greg1205
03-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Odd... mine just asks if I want to format the card. Do you have something in your startup that would cause it to reformat your SD?

Cortex
04-26-2004, 07:08 PM
WHY WHY WHY????

ALWAYS WHEN IM ON VACATION!!!!!!!!

So I go to run a program on my 256 MB SMART brand SD card and low and behold.... ITS BLANK!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Does anyone know of a recovery program to see if the FAT is bad?

I ran CHKDSK and ScanDisk on it via my laptop and it finds no files but comments that one folder is truncated...

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Does anyone know of a recovery program to see if the FAT is bad? I ran CHKDSK and ScanDisk on it via my laptop and it finds no files but comments that one folder is truncated...
Those two will tell you the state of the FAT. A truncated folder suggests some FAT corruption. The question is if you should fix it or reformat the card... :(

--janak

snamias
05-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Please help! I purchased a TMobile Pocket Pc Phone 2002 from ebay. Everything works fine, except no one in the level 2 wireless dept can help me set-up my email from an IMAP server account. My Pop 3 receives mail ok. I have tried using the outgoing/ingoing server info from my unive server provider, no go. So, I have been advised my Tmobile to use their server info--it still does not work. Would upgrading to 2003 make things easier or more difficult. I've followed the thread on this topic and am nervous about all the 2003 problems noted. Also, Tmobile no longer has the upgrade posted, so where would I even find it? Thanks, Annette

Janak Parekh
05-07-2004, 03:11 AM
Please help! I purchased a TMobile Pocket Pc Phone 2002 from ebay. Everything works fine, except no one in the level 2 wireless dept can help me set-up my email from an IMAP server account.
What pricing plan are you using? The "free" GPRS plan doesn't support IMAP, I believe -- you need a "real" GPRS plan.

--janak

sieglege
05-07-2004, 03:29 PM
You are right. You can't send e-mails using T-mobile's mail servers. You need to use a POP or IMAP account elsewhere. When I complained about it to T-mobile, they claimed something like "we're not really an ISP (internet service provider), we're an internet access provider".

The solution I found on another PPC forum: set up a free e-mail account at a service like Softhome. Works great! (I am still using WM2002 BTW).

I also use an IMAP account with another email address, but that's a different story....

snamias
05-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Are you saying that Tmobile can not support a POP mail or IMAP server email account at all? Can this only be used with a web email account? Thanks for any info on this.

sieglege
05-10-2004, 10:18 PM
No, that's not what I am saying. They support POP and IMAP, they just don't have an outgoing email server that you can access (or at least I am unaware of one).

Generally speaking you can get incomping mail from any POP or IMAP server no matter what ISP you used to actually connect to the internet. However, in order to control SPAM, most outgoing mail servers restrict access so that only authorized users of that network can use the outgoing mail server.

Let's say you have comcast hi speed internet at home. You probably have to use a comcast SMTP server for your outgoing mail. If you try to use, say, timewarner's SMTP server, you get a "relaying denied" error message.

Some email systems that require authentication routines avoid this problem altogether, but that's another detail we don't need to go into.

The softhome solution gets around the relay problem. BTW, I found the original thread, and what do you know, it appeared here....

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15072

Qman
05-19-2004, 05:18 PM
:twisted:my storage card (ScanDisk 256k has been wiped out again!! I called T-Mobile and was told by level 2 that the scan disk card is not compatible with the 2003 upgrade... what can I use for a storage card?? Has anyone heard of a fix for this yet??

Try formating your card with a label, that worked for me!

HTH

Qman
05-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Try using myemail.t-mobile.com for outgoing mail, it works for me!

HTH