View Full Version : How to move from one PPC to another

moby101
03-12-2004, 08:44 AM
What's the easiest & simplest way to prepare to migrate from one PPC with a CF card to another PPC with a SD card? AND I will not have both PPCs at the same time. I will be selling one before buying another.

I am thinking of doing a backup and saving the backup file on my laptop, then when I get my new PPC, copying the file over and restoring. Not sure if I can do this as the backup was on a PPC with OS 2002 and the new one is 2003. Maybe this is not possible?

Can I copy all applications from the CF card to the laptop and then copy them to the SD card when I purchase it?

I guess the longest method, install every program one by one, is the best?

Be interested in experienced users comments and need to know this weekend as I have to post my current PPC off on Monday (2 days time)

arnage2
03-12-2004, 01:45 PM
one tip, if you back up your ppc2002, dont plan on restoring the backup file onto a ppc 2003 device. It doesnt work. You best bet is to make sure your pim stuff is on outlook, your favorites are saved on ie, and you make an archive of your program exe files and media on a folder in your pc.

As for the card, simply transfer the files to your pc via activesync or a reader, then simply paste them on to your new card.

JohnnyFlash
03-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Yes, you can paste the files from your old card to your new one, and this will effectively transfer the actual data itself. But, many of the programs will not function on your new device until you go through the installation routine on the new device. Due to the fact that many PPC programs place pieces of themselves within the windows directory, plus many programs also place references to themselves within the Mobile 2003 registry. I have found that many of these programs will not function, and will in fact crash your machine if you try to run them without these support files.

ppcsurfr
03-13-2004, 04:57 PM
If you are changing PPCs... the best way is to reinstall all apps... Wait... if you are moving to a newer PPC that is WM2003... better see if the latest versions of the software are already available.

Next a simple synch with your PC via ActiveSync is more than enough to keep your data intact.

If you have things in the CF card and are planning to move it to the SD card... best bet is to remove all apps and only leave data files in it.

Files will be reinstalled anyway once you reinstall all the apps that you normally use.

Mabuhay!

Carlo