View Full Version : ebook reader

jook00
03-11-2004, 10:12 PM
what is the best eBook reader? (note to myself: if the page views reach 500, i'm gonna buy a Harley Davidson bike)

ironguy
03-11-2004, 10:56 PM
If you' search, you'll find many people trying to find the answer.

HOwever, my preference is uBook from www.gowerpoint.com.

µBook is a simple and lean, yet powerful ebook reader for Windows and Pocket PCs that can read HTML, TXT, RTF, PDB and PRC (not secure) ebook files. It can read directly from inside ZIP files, and supports BMP, GIF, PNG and JPG images. It offers many customization options including: Portrait and Landscape display, Choice of font type, color and size, etc.... It Also has a resizable/skinnable User Interface. µBook is improving on a regular basis and best of all it's free!

I also use MSReader, but only because no one else does .lit files.

Ripper014
03-11-2004, 11:08 PM
I agree with Iron Guy and there is a new release.. they are now at version 8M...

tanalasta
03-12-2004, 03:19 AM
I'm a huge isilo fan simply because I love how easy and quick it is to use. It is also surprisingly easy to convert online medical texts into isilo for offline browsing. Unfortunately, I haven't found mainstream ebooks in isilo format yet though you can easily convert html/txt files into isilo pdb files.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/awards/category.asp?catid=42#e-BookReaders

A quick look at last year's pocketpcmag awards had mobipocket taking out best-ebook reader closely followed by palm-reader.

Trimac20
03-12-2004, 07:58 AM
I don't see what's wrong with the included Microsoft Reader. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

tanalasta
03-12-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm using the older copy of microsoft reader which:
1. won't read new ebooks
2. has a memory leak problem requiring a hard reset

so for me, MS reader is broken :evil:

Why don't I upgrade? Because MS reader is in ROM and i don't have enough room in the RAM to install the newest version. That and i would have to re-download all my secure ebooks. Lastly, I don't like how slow MS reader is to navigate through the books.

Trimac20
03-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh yeah I see you're point. I am looking for a program which also reads .TXT and other e-book files instead of exclusively reading .LIT files as in MS Reader. Btw, I notice you're in Perth. If you don't mind me asking, what suburb are you in?

ChristopherTD
03-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Lastly, I don't like how slow MS reader is to navigate through the books.

You don't have to redownload any books, just MS Reader itself and then reactivate it. This doesn't get around the other reasons, but you can strike redownload off your list!

tanalasta
03-13-2004, 06:16 AM
You don't have to redownload any books, just MS Reader itself and then reactivate it.

Thanks for the info :)

As for reading txt files - isilo won't do it directly but it only takes a couple of minutes to open the .txt file in word, save it in html format then use isilox to convert it into the .pdb format read by isilo.