View Full Version : Good to Be Back!

Zensbikeshop
03-11-2004, 12:53 AM
I've been using a Palm T3 for a few months but become increasingly annoyed with it and it's appalling Outllok syncronisation.

Tonight I bought another HP2210 and it's like coming home to an old friend!

Definitely good to be back to PPC!

Steven Cedrone
03-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Hehehe...

Welcome back! :wink:

Steve

c38b2
03-11-2004, 02:37 AM
I think that the PPC community would like hearing everything that was wrong with the T|3! :wink:

arnage2
03-11-2004, 03:40 AM
whats wrong with the t3? Battery life! Id have to charge 2 times per day!

Janak Parekh
03-11-2004, 04:03 AM
I've been using a Palm T3 for a few months but become increasingly annoyed with it and it's appalling Outllok syncronisation.
Can you provide more details? I thought PalmOne specifically modified the apps in the T3 for better Outlook compatibility.

--janak

Aerestis
03-11-2004, 05:05 AM
weird, the t3 has bad battery life? My e has a worse battery and goes for an easy three and a half hours. I thought only a few ppc models beat that. I wish I had an easy 12 hours, hehe.

The outlook syncing is TERRIBLE on the e, terrible enough that I don't bother.

Janak Parekh
03-11-2004, 05:12 AM
weird, the t3 has bad battery life? My e has a worse battery and goes for an easy three and a half hours. I thought only a few ppc models beat that. I wish I had an easy 12 hours, hehe.
The T3 is known to have among the worst battery life of all PalmOne PDAs. Many Pocket PCs today can easily beat three or four hours of battery life -- both the units I carry -- the Samsung i700 and the Toshiba e805 -- for example.

--janak

c38b2
03-11-2004, 12:14 PM
I just sync to Palm Desktop - it's faster than syncing to Outlook and it's a lot better at syncing than with Outlook. For example, tasks I mark complete do not get marked complete on the desktop after an Outlook sync. Why? :?

As for battery life, my e goes for about a week between charges and that includes listening to music in the meantime. It has much better battery life than the Toshiba I had previously. :D

Zensbikeshop
03-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Can you provide more details? I thought PalmOne specifically modified the apps in the T3 for better Outlook compatibility.

--janak

Happy to.

The root of most problems is the PalmOne's conduits inability to recognise the latest change in the event of a conflict and to use that.

Even an alarm going off represents a change; so I would sync my T3 with Outlook 2003 at the end of the day and all the alarms associated with tasks would be popup in Outlook but as the tasks were marked as complete on the T3 the conduit saw both had changed and so would duplicate the tasks/calendar entryies.

Even when setting the rules of the conduit for the handheld to overwrite desktop in the event of a conflict only stopped this in a proportion of cases.

I would get duplicates everyday.

The new T3 PIM has a birthday field. Entering something into this would result in the calendar entry being duplicated time and time again - up to 30 times! In the end I had to remove teh birthdays.

The T3 itself. Battery life was shocking. It's early afternoon here now and I've been using the 2210 in much the same way as I would the T3 (T3 at 50% backlight 2210 is at 100%) - if anything I've used it a little more as it's new :D The battery on the 2210 is at 67% - the T3's would have been sub 50%. I never expected a Palm to need charging during the day.

The slider became an annoyance - I hated having to physically alter my PDA with 2 hands to enter any data.

I missed having a real file system.

I don't use it often but the lack of multitasking was a pain.

The T3 howver has a much better screen than the 2210. We need screens of that quality on Pocket PCs now...

Having used the 2210 today I have made my key discovery - I like the PPC OS better than Palm.

pocketpcfox
03-11-2004, 03:33 PM

Tonight I bought another HP2210 and it's like coming home to an old friend!

Definitely good to be back to PPC!

Ha ha, back from the dead. No one here will tell you they told you so, will they? Nah. Good to see you back. :D

David Prahl
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM
We should really compile a database of REAL battery life data from all devices. Hard reset them and drain the battery at full backlight.

Zensbikeshop
03-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Good idea but we would need some standardised loads for the devices or no load.

PetiteFlower
03-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Playing mp3s is pretty standard, doesn't really duplicate daily use, but there isn't really any way to standardize that!

David Prahl
03-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Would not "Hard reset, full backlight, to turn-off" be pretty standard?

Kati Compton
03-12-2004, 12:00 AM
People could argue that full backlight on different devices is actually a different brightness level depending on device.

I'm more likely to go with "Hard reset, backlight off, play MPEG video or MP3s to turn-off."

Aerestis
03-12-2004, 05:08 AM
yeah, earlier mentioned is the ppc screens and palm screens. How come palm screens are oodles better? Or have I not seen any good ppc screens? I always find they are really hard to see in both indoor and outdoor light. Oh well, that's a little off topic. I would jsut expect a microsoft related thing to have really nice hardware, better than palm hardware anyhow.

And on the topic of actually OPENING the T|3 to write... I think that was a ridiculous idea. More moving parts just means more breakable parts. I hope they ditch that whole thing and make them all single piece devices.

Fishie
03-12-2004, 07:01 AM
People could argue that full backlight on different devices is actually a different brightness level depending on device.

I'm more likely to go with "Hard reset, backlight off, play MPEG video or MP3s to turn-off."

MPEG, on a POS?

Fishie
03-12-2004, 07:02 AM
yeah, earlier mentioned is the ppc screens and palm screens. How come palm screens are oodles better? Or have I not seen any good ppc screens? I always find they are really hard to see in both indoor and outdoor light. Oh well, that's a little off topic. I would jsut expect a microsoft related thing to have really nice hardware, better than palm hardware anyhow.

And on the topic of actually OPENING the T|3 to write... I think that was a ridiculous idea. More moving parts just means more breakable parts. I hope they ditch that whole thing and make them all single piece devices.

TungstenE2 will have a 320by480screen witouth the moving bits.