View Full Version : Sync/charge cables

jneely
03-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I'd like to get a simple sync and charge cable for my Pocket PC, something to use at the office -- I don't really need a full cradle.

I've seen the ones at Boxwave, which look pretty good.

Any recommendations?

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 07:04 PM
I have had some troubles with my BoxWave retractable sync cable. I originally bought it for a 1935 but now I have a 4150. The connector is the same - but it doesn't seem to work right. It syncs only about 1/3 the time - the other 2/3 I get a message on my Laptop saying that an unrecognized USD device has been detected.

Also, it doesn't seem to charge my 4150 properly The charging LED flashes sporatically but the charge does not increase at all. I am not sure it the cable is compatable with the 4150. The Boxwave site does not list a 4150 compatible version either.

I have also checked with PPCTechs (Lil' Sync) and they don't list a 4150 compatible version either - although I emailed them and they say one is coming.

I looked around and could only find one company offering a 4150 compatible synch/charge cable (short in length - but not retractable). Problem is that I can't remember the name of the company (I'll look it up and post it later) but I ordered one and expect it any day now.

Steven Cedrone
03-10-2004, 07:12 PM
I have had some troubles with my BoxWave retractable sync cable. <SNIP> It syncs only about 1/3 the time - the other 2/3 I get a message on my Laptop saying that an unrecognized USD device has been detected.

I have one for my 2215, I now see this behavior 100% of the time (although it does still charge). Oh well, I chalk it up to the constant winding/unwinding of the cable...

Steve

Stone
03-10-2004, 07:20 PM
We have been selling quite a few of these (http://www.pocketpcmall.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=18). Our local User's Group folks love them!

I keep one with me where ever I go. MUCH cheaper than another battery too :!:

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 07:23 PM
I have had some troubles with my BoxWave retractable sync cable. <SNIP> It syncs only about 1/3 the time - the other 2/3 I get a message on my Laptop saying that an unrecognized USD device has been detected.

I have one for my 2215, I now see this behavior 100% of the time (although it does still charge). Oh well, I chalk it up to the constant winding/unwinding of the cable...

Steve

Ha! Nice to know that I am not the only one with problems! (Not that I wish trouble on anyone)

BTW - that vendor I referred to in my earlier post is Seidio - look here (http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=284)

Steven Cedrone
03-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I think they all come from the same place/manufacturer. It looks like the little logo gets pasted on by whomever is selling them (sort of like the badges you could buy to put in the front of Clone P.C.'s)

Steve

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Just received the new sync/charge cable from Seidio. Here are some observations:

1) Is is not retractable. A little bit inconvenient but I suspect that it will work much more reliably since it not constantly being unwound and wound (see Steven's comments in above postings)

2) Despite not being retractable - it is still compact enough for travel

3) It does not simultaneously charge and sync - there is switch built into the cable. Click it on and you are syncing. Click it off and you are charging. Two LEDs - one green and one red - indicate which mode you are in. I kinda like this. I don't need to sync constantly anyway while I am charging.

4) It is a regular gauge USB type cable as opposed to a micro thin 'dental floss' cable. The latter of these two types seems much less reliable to me based on my experiences with the BoxWave retractable cable (I forgot to mention before that I have gone through two of these - both worked intermittently after a short time). The Seidio cable should be just as durable as a regular USB sync cable (this is a good thing)

5) It synced successfully the first try (the BoxWave cables never did - I had to fiddle with each of them for 5-10 minutes to get them to work initially)

6) It charged successfully the first try (again, the BoxWave was able to charge my 1935 most of the time - but has never successfully charged my 4150)

I guess it comes down to a choice between reliability and size. The BoxWave retractable cable is smaller - but who cares 'cause it doesn't do what it's supposed to reliably. The Seidio cable is a little bigger - but it works. The last thing I need when traveling is to have my sync/charge cable not work and have my battery run dead (can you say 'restore from backup'?)

Pat Logsdon
03-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I have a JavoSync retractable sync/charging cable for my 4150, which was advertised as being compatible with the 4150 at the time of sale. I also experienced the same problems with not being able to sync.

I'm 99% sure that the problem is the power line in the cable - it's been made so small that I don't think there's enough juice at the serial connector to trigger the PPC. How can I be so sure? Because it works perfectly if you use a (full size) USB extension cable. :evil:

In my case, I was able to keep the JavoSync, as I only use it for power in my car in conjunction with the ext. cable. So it works for me, but it's useless for what it was designed for, unfortunately. :roll:

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 10:07 PM
I have a JavoSync retractable sync/charging cable for my 4150, which was advertised as being compatible with the 4150 at the time of sale. I also experienced the same problems with not being able to sync.

I'm 99% sure that the problem is the power line in the cable - it's been made so small that I don't think there's enough juice at the serial connector to trigger the PPC. How can I be so sure? Because it works perfectly if you use a (full size) USB extension cable. :evil:

In my case, I was able to keep the JavoSync, as I only use it for power in my car in conjunction with the ext. cable. So it works for me, but it's useless for what it was designed for, unfortunately. :roll:

I suspect you are right. That's why I gave up on the entire retractable cable concept and went with a conventional sync/charge cable.

Steven Cedrone
03-11-2004, 02:19 AM
That's why I gave up on the entire retractable cable concept and went with a conventional sync/charge cable.

That's the direction I am headed in as well...

Steve

ctmagnus
03-12-2004, 06:38 AM
I recieved my PPC Techs sync/charge cable today and it works wonderfully (picture that word all wavy-like and floating).

Jorgen
03-12-2004, 02:08 PM
>works wonderfully (picture that word all wavy-like and floating).

Does this mean that will change to a happy avatar? :)

Jorgen

jneely
03-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I talked to a sales guy at Baxwave and he explained the problem with USB sync cables and high power devices like the 4150. These models draw too much power when they use either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for the USB power interface to handle. When this happens, it interferes with the sync signals. This is why they don't have a compatible model, and he indicated that they never would because they couldn't gaurantee customer satisfaction with the power levels available via USB.

I suspect this will be a problem with ANY USB sync cable, and not one isolated to a single vendor.

Boxwave said that if I was willing to live with these limitations (ie, turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth whenever charging or syncing) then I should try the Mini-Sync for the iPAQ 5100 for use on my 4150.

Trimac20
03-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Why not just use an Ir/Bluetooth dongle instead?

Dave Potter
03-12-2004, 05:06 PM
I talked to a sales guy at Baxwave and he explained the problem with USB sync cables and high power devices like the 4150. These models draw too much power when they use either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for the USB power interface to handle. When this happens, it interferes with the sync signals. This is why they don't have a compatible model, and he indicated that they never would because they couldn't gaurantee customer satisfaction with the power levels available via USB.

I suspect this will be a problem with ANY USB sync cable, and not one isolated to a single vendor.

Boxwave said that if I was willing to live with these limitations (ie, turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth whenever charging or syncing) then I should try the Mini-Sync for the iPAQ 5100 for use on my 4150.

Very interesting. I tested this with my BoxWave retractable cable and it seems to be true. I shut off BT and WiFi and connected the cable and voila - it charges and syncs perfectly. I left the cable connected and started WiFi and suddenly, the charging became very irratic. I turned WiFi off again and the charging re-stabilized.

Even more Interesting... (I am writing this as I test it) Now the cable seems to work all the time for syncing and charging regardless of whether BT or WiFi are on or off. Arggghhhh!! I tested this thing 10 different ways for 3 hours last week and couldn't get the thing to work most of the time! I had, in fact, thrown the damn thing out. I just fished it out of the garbage can this morning after reading jneely's post.

How can something work perfectly some of the time and horribly other times??!?!?

EDIT:

Everthing is back to normal now - it doesn't work again.

ctmagnus
03-13-2004, 12:24 AM
>works wonderfully (picture that word all wavy-like and floating).

Does this mean that will change to a happy avatar? :)

Jorgen

That IS my happy avatar. My unhappy avatar is unfit for human consumption ;)

Zack Mahdavi
03-18-2004, 06:01 PM
We have been selling quite a few of these (http://www.pocketpcmall.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=18). Our local User's Group folks love them!

Stone, so this cable works well on the iPaq 41xx series?

ctmagnus
03-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Anyone know what the purpose of the USB Charging option in Settings -> System tab -> Power -> USB Charging tab is? I have that unchecked but I can still sync and charge through the cable. And when it's checked and cradled in a cradle without AC supplied, it doesn't charge. :confused totally: