View Full Version : Subscribers Save 50% Off TextMaker, 20% Off Resco Explorer

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 02:05 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/discounts.php' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/discounts.php</a><br /><br /></div>We unveiled a great discount for Pocket PC Thoughts <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php">subscribers</a> a couple of days ago: 50% off <a href="http://www.softmaker.de/tmp_en.htm">TextMaker</a>, making the price $25 instead of the usual $50 USD. If you've been waiting for an excuse to buy this powerful word processor, here it is! Don't know what TextMaker is?<br /><br />"TextMaker for Pocket PCs – the first and only complete word processor for Pocket PCs. Multi-language spell-checker? Graphics? Footnotes? No problem. Tables? Sophisticated character and paragraph formatting? At your fingertips. Lossless conversion of Microsoft Word .DOC files? Right on your Pocket PC."<br /><br />Some of the other recent subscriber discounts:<br /><br />• 20% Off Resco Explorer (Valid Until 5/4/2004)<br />• 25% Off Spb Imageer (Valid Until 8/9/2004)<br />• Save a Bundle on GPS Hardware from Semsons (Valid Until 5/3/2004)<br />• $10 Off Agenda Fusion from DeveloperOne (Valid Until 4/7/2004)<br />• 20% Off Any Handmark Product (Valid Until 5/1/2004)<br />• 30% Off Any TranCreative Product (Valid Until 3/31/2004)<br /><br />Remember these discounts are for paying <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/subscribe.php">subscribers</a> only, not for all 15,000+ of you who have registered in the forums. ;-)

scargill
03-10-2004, 02:07 AM
Urm....do new subscribers still get a piece of s/w free? (namely Snails) I've just got the Belkin IR keyboard, so a good word processor might be useful!

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Urm....do new subscribers still get a piece of s/w free? (namely Snails) I've just got the Belkin IR keyboard, so a good word processor might be useful!

Yup, there's still the free PDAmill software. ;-)

scargill
03-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Really really sorry, but it doesn't seem to mention it on the subscription page, do I automatically get this or do I have to do something special? Which package does it come with?

Sorry for all the questions, but I 90% ganrantee I'll have a badge to the left by the end of today now!

dh
03-10-2004, 03:32 AM
As it happens, I've not taken advantage of many of the discounts because they are always for software I already have.
But, there is no question, someone new to PPC can really start to build a great device using the discounts that Jason has negotiated. Textmaker as an example is nothing short of brilliant.
The key to making a good product become a great product is to get some of the great applications that are written for PPC. While we can (and do) argue about which PDA OS is best, PPC has some fantastic applications, many of which can be obtained at great prices by PPCT subscribers.

scargill
03-10-2004, 03:37 AM
I already have Resco and SPB, but that is about it for registered software on my PPC, I like to go down the freeware route where possible with my lack of money....but somethings are just worth buying, I've got 7 weeks to write a 10,000 page report now, and even if not much of it is written on my PPC then quite abit might be proof-read on it, and Textmaker looks like an ideal solution.

Now all I need is a "save image as" option in IE :)

cuteseal
03-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Now all I need is a "save image as" option in IE :)

Hey scargill, a nifty little freeware program called ftxPBrowser does that! And it supports multiple windows as well.

http://park15.wakwak.com/~ftx/ftxp3e/

Small footprint, works well, and price is great for me =)

Jason Dunn
03-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Really really sorry, but it doesn't seem to mention it on the subscription page, do I automatically get this or do I have to do something special? Which package does it come with? Sorry for all the questions, but I 90% ganrantee I'll have a badge to the left by the end of today now!

Yes, that's my fault for not having the subscription page be more up to date - the answer is that all levels get access to the discounts. But I think you'll find the most value with PPCT Full. :-)

dean_shan
03-10-2004, 08:31 AM
I already have Resco and SPB, but that is about it for registered software on my PPC, I like to go down the freeware route where possible with my lack of money....but somethings are just worth buying, I've got 7 weeks to write a 10,000 page report now, and even if not much of it is written on my PPC then quite abit might be proof-read on it, and Textmaker looks like an ideal solution.

Dang, 10,000 pages! 8O What is it about?

Pat Logsdon
03-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Textmaker is worth the money. Trust me.

You may also want to use a few periods in your report. :wink: :mrgreen:

scargill
03-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Oh deary deary me, that teaches me not to be online at 2am gibbering away!
First of all, thats why I forgot about all punctuation (although I'm not very good at it anyway).
Second of all its a 10,000 WORD report...not pages!! That would just be silly! It has to be around 100 pages, and for anyone who is bothered, its about Website Security.
Oh, I've now subscribed (just waiting for Jason to confirm my credit card transaction) and will be getting text maker later today (as well as the ftxp browser)

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 06:51 PM
I was gonna say.... 10,000 pages in 7 months works out to almost 50 pages a day. That would be INSANE to write - forget about editing!

100 pages - that about 1/2 page per day. What are you going to do with all of the extra time your going to have?? :D

BTW - I just used my subscriber discount to purchase TextMaker about an hour ago.

scargill
03-10-2004, 07:35 PM
haha
I definitly DID say 7 weeks, and not 7 months....I have 7 weeks to write around 100 pages (14,000 - 16,000 words) which works out to about 2 pages a day, every day
today I've done 2 and a half! Which is good....I now have about 30 pages done, but I should really have it finished by now when it comes to it!
And all in the aid to get a degree so I can afford a new PDA!
*drools over a VGA screen and in built CF and Wifi*

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 10:01 PM
haha
I definitly DID say 7 weeks, and not 7 months....

Opps! Don't mind me - I must have been sleeping myself!

:sleeping:

bbarker
03-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Textmaker absolutely is worth the money at $50. The half price deal is fantastic. With all the discounts currently available, becoming a subscriber to Pocket PC Thoughts is a no-brainer.

scargill
03-11-2004, 02:42 AM
The issue I have now....Text Maker is worth $25, but is it worth 6mb?
And can I get the offer from the UK anyway?

I am a subscriber now....I just need Jason to flick the switch :)

Dave Potter
03-11-2004, 03:05 AM
The issue I have now....Text Maker is worth $25, but is it worth 6mb?
And can I get the offer from the UK anyway?

I am a subscriber now....I just need Jason to flick the switch :)

Install it on a memory card. I did and it works great. The install give you the option of selecting where - right down to the subdirectory.

And yes - you should be able to get the 50% off. The order form I used provided options to USD or Euros if I recall correctly.

scargill
03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Install it on a memory card. I did and it works great. The install give you the option of selecting where - right down to the subdirectory.

I saw this option, I'm just a touch unsure about doing it still, I have 2x64mb memory cards (1 MMC and 1 SD) and they get swapped quite often as they usually contain MP3s, episodes of programs in DivX, anything I want to transfer from my PC to my PPC or photos from my digital camera
I suppose I could buy a 128mb memory card, and use the 64mb one as a "program" card, storing all programs such as textmaker on it, but I've never been overly keen of doing this, as I swap my memory cards so much and I'm not sure how it will cope if I try operning a doc file when the memory card isn't in (and it can't find textmaker)

chunkymonkey75
03-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm now a subscriber. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Many of the applications I already own. In spite of that, it's still worth the price of being a member. And you are supporting the best PDA site I've ever found!

Dave Potter
03-11-2004, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure how it will cope if I try operning a doc file when the memory card isn't in (and it can't find textmaker)

This is actually not a big deal. It doesn't crash the unit or anything. The app just doesn't open. I would recommend going the 128 or 256 MB memory card route.

Jason Dunn
03-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm now a subscriber. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Many of the applications I already own. In spite of that, it's still worth the price of being a member. And you are supporting the best PDA site I've ever found!

Glad to have you aboard! :way to go:

scargill
03-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Look to the left now! Its done!!
I've just ordered the full version of textmaker, my SD card is now going to be filled with apps, and I'm going to order a 128mb card for my mp3s and games....once I get some more cash!

Dave Potter
03-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Congrats! Glad to hear that my advise was helpful!

scargill
03-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Urm.....OK
So I know that MMC cards are slower than SD, but does anyone know how much? Basically I'm going to install some of my apps (Textmaker, PocketPutty and maybe a couple of others) onto an mmc or sd card, and then buy a new card for my mp3s and digital camera (which only takes sd)
I'd prefer to install my apps on an mmc card and then buy a new 128mb mmc card....but will this slow things down quite abit? or won't it be noticable?

tanalasta
03-12-2004, 03:12 AM
You may notice a speed difference with MMC cards but chances are it'd be 'acceptable' so i wouldn't worry about it. Besides, if you own one of those horribly slow sandisk cards *sigh* it may even be faster. :twisted: