View Full Version : Complete screw-up, thanks Mr Gates...

denbigh
03-08-2004, 03:30 PM
Believing that upgrading my iPAQ 5450 from 2002 to 2003 would improve the set-up for wifi... I duly backed up my iPAQ and then did the upgrade. All went well, and then I discovered two things: first, an upgrade does not just upgrade, like NT4 to W2000 or XP, just affecting the operating system on ROM, but completely wipes the machine of everything that ever was before; second, the backup under 2002 is not readable from 2003.

Now, due to unfortunate circumstances, my desktop m/c and the licenced software (mostly navigation) is all packed away in storage for the next 3 to 4 months.

Of course, this was all of my own making, not Mr Gates !!

arnage2
03-08-2004, 03:35 PM
download a bunch of program .cab files so you can get some more software

Jon Westfall
03-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Believing that upgrading my iPAQ 5450 from 2002 to 2003 would improve the set-up for wifi... I duly backed up my iPAQ and then did the upgrade. All went well, and then I discovered two things: first, an upgrade does not just upgrade, like NT4 to W2000 or XP, just affecting the operating system on ROM, but completely wipes the machine of everything that ever was before; second, the backup under 2002 is not readable from 2003.

Now, due to unfortunate circumstances, my desktop m/c and the licenced software (mostly navigation) is all packed away in storage for the next 3 to 4 months.

Of course, this was all of my own making, not Mr Gates !!

I really can't believe Bill Gates took all the time and effort to plan out the pocket pc upgrade process just so that years after its genesis you would be inconvienced over it... really quite amazing how much foresight that man has.

Please note, I'm dripping with sarcasm here... I just find it highly ironic that people blame Bill Gates for Microsoft's problems - as if he runs every single thing there, makes ALL the decisions, and is generally out to annoy everyone...

Sorry for your (data) loss.

powder2000
03-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Ah, another Gates basher. Ok, first off, pocket pcs are not the same as desktop pcs. Second, Mr. Gates has nothing to do with it, unfortunatley for you. The upgrade is handed to the manufacturers to customize before distributing it to you. If anything was wrong, you have hp to blame. Also, if you would have read the information with the upgrade, it would tell you that it will wipe your device clean, this is due to the type and amount of memory that is used on ppcs. I won't get into the technical why's about it because someone else here could probably do it better. So, when you have a problem with pocket pcs don't just jump on the bandwagon of "Gates Bashers" but rather, ask the people in this fine community exactly why this happened, you will most likely get an excellent answer(s).

denbigh
03-08-2004, 04:52 PM
I am not really a Gates-basher... tis just a way of anthromorphising Microsoft... and I doubt if he needs you to defend him.

The upgrade is pure Microsoft, and replaces the rom part of my PDA. This I would expect. However, for your benefit, I can tell you that it advises that all programs and data should be backed up before applying the upgrade (which I did) but then, tells you that 2003 cannot read 2002 backups.

Jason Dunn
03-08-2004, 04:58 PM
The upgrade is pure Microsoft, and replaces the rom part of my PDA. This I would expect. However, for your benefit, I can tell you that it advises that all programs and data should be backed up before applying the upgrade (which I did) but then, tells you that 2003 cannot read 2002 backups.

Actually, the OEM is whom you should be pointing fingers at. HP built the installer that has the false promise of a backup, which is what you're really upset at. To those of us who have been using Pocket PCs for years, we know that most ROM updates will purge your device, and you cannot restore it from a backup. But you didn't know this, and the installer gave you false information, so HP is to blame here. I'm sorry this happened to you. :?

denbigh
03-08-2004, 05:17 PM
The big question for me is how to go from here.

I think that the original companion disk had a 2002 version on it, has anyone experience of 'going back'? I figure that if I go back one step, I should be able to restore my backup. I had TomTom Navigator 2 and various marine nav stuff on board, and unfortunatedly the original discs for the proprietary stuff is in deep storage for about 6 months!! (Self-inflicted that part, as we are moving home, but decided to take a long break out between times).

Jacob
03-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Was it an Activesync backup? Just to make sure..

There are tools that would allow you to extract individual files from Activesync backups.

One is here (http://www.smartphonetoday.com/software/pocketpc/ActiveSync-Backup-File-Restorer-2001-10-15-ce-pocketpc.html)

Note that I haven't tried this personally... but a tool such as this could allow you to pull out files that are stuck in the backup.

I don't think it's possible to revert to the previous OS though.

dhettel
03-08-2004, 06:15 PM
The big question for me is how to go from here.

I think that the original companion disk had a 2002 version on it, has anyone experience of 'going back'? I figure that if I go back one step, I should be able to restore my backup. I had TomTom Navigator 2 and various marine nav stuff on board, and unfortunatedly the original discs for the proprietary stuff is in deep storage for about 6 months!! (Self-inflicted that part, as we are moving home, but decided to take a long break out between times).

I may have some more bad news for you. :( But if you are counting on the backup you made from within HP upgrade program to restore your 5450. I believe you didn't understand the upgrade. That upgrade is **Only** an upgrade of the OLD ROM. Not the contents of your Hp 5450. You can use this file to return PocketPC 2002 to your 5450, but at that point you'll have a 5450 without any of your programs on it.

I believe that you will find, most if not all your Navigation programs will need to be updated to work correctly with Windows Mobile 2003. As you have the upgrade installed, perhaps you should investigate getting updated software for your 5450. If you have registered your purchases, and Navigation software is expensive enough to register it may not be that hard.

denbigh
03-08-2004, 06:30 PM
at that point you'll have a 5450 without any of your programs on it.

Yes, that is what I thought. But, as I followed instructions and did an (ActiveSync) backup, I should have all my progs and data in the (2002) backup, which would work, surely?

dhettel
03-08-2004, 08:13 PM
If you did the ActiveSync backup, then most if not all of your programs should work again. Some of the newer navigation programs, may require you to contact the maker to get an activation key. They are setup in such a way that you can only install them once. :( To stop people from sharing them.

Also if you go to C:\program files\Microsoft ActiveSync\ you should see a list of folders with programs you have on your PPC. Often it is possible to find a file with arm.cab in the name. Copying this to your PPC and tapping on it will reinstall the program in most cases.

Also their is the option of Tools | Add/remove in ActiveSync on the PC. Where you can add a check mark to the program name, once you are docked, and the program will be reinstalled.

Contacts and calendar, and task should be sync to your device when you setup a new partnership.