View Full Version : Trouble With Restore After Updates?

Jason Dunn
03-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Robbert Raktoe writes us:<br /><br />"A couple of days ago I had an accident (my Ipaq 2210 was not damaged) and as a result I wasn't able to recharge my ipaq which resulted in an spontaneous hardreset. Prior to this reset I had installed the HP Bluetooth upgrade and made a backup of the entire machine. After I had restored the entire backup and installed the bluetooth upgrade again the bluetooth on my Ipaq 'could not initialize correctly'. When I contacted HP Netherlands about this they told me that I had to hard-reset again, then install the upgrade en then restore. This didn't work!<br /><br />When I contacted HP again they told me that there was probably something wrong with my backup (made with the default backup-program as delivered by HP). They initially didn't even want to document my complaint because 'if this was a problem with hard or software they would have heard about it already'. My argument was that if nobody at HP would ever document this complaint nobody ever will hear about it....My question is: is this something you have heard about before or could you do a poll about this on your site?"<br /><br />Say no more Robert - Pocket PC Thoughts readers, have you had this same trouble? Any advice for Robert?

Mitchybums
03-07-2004, 11:07 PM
I had lost my bluetooth on a hp 1945 twice.
I found out its related to having files open on the ipaq filestore when performing a reset (soft will do)

In my case I did a backup to the filestore and after it was done, it asked for a reset, and then No More Bluetooth.

tried everything, and since it was not even 2 weeks old, I went back to bestbuy and got a different one.

On this one I played a game, that I also stuck on the filestore (pocketscumm) and the game crashed and I coudlnt do anything but a reset.
Again, bluetooth gone, and forever.

I got sick of it, and got me a 2215.
I did the trick in the store when I got it, and it still worked after it.
Now it's still working fine, but I am not using bluetooth anymore. WIFI works a lot better.

x999x
03-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Just a quick question to the reply above, You are aware that the software In-Rom returns if you hard reset your device? Coulda saved yourself a trip to the local brick and mortar, but at least with the iPAQs I've owned, everything it ships with can be recovered by a hard reset.

Most files/apps even return after a soft reset as well, in my experience.

Soft Reset = Just reset button
Hard Reset = power button + reset button (this wipes everything back to factory apps and all)

clanggedin
03-08-2004, 05:18 AM
HP support is worthless... I will never buy anything HP again because of the retards they hire for their support department. You'll definately get better and faster results having individuals in this forum and other PDA forums answer your question.

Mitchybums
03-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Just a quick question to the reply above, You are aware that the software In-Rom returns if you hard reset your device? Coulda saved yourself a trip to the local brick and mortar, but at least with the iPAQs I've owned, everything it ships with can be recovered by a hard reset.

Most files/apps even return after a soft reset as well, in my experience.

Soft Reset = Just reset button
Hard Reset = power button + reset button (this wipes everything back to factory apps and all)

Yes, and I had done a HARD RESET on both devices, and restored everything from rom. Unfortunately after a hard reset it whined about an invalid shortcut to bluetooth stuff in the windows folder (there is in the windows startup a shortcut to the bluetooth manager to start the bluetooth app) Everything bluetooth related was gone. On some website I even downloaded a zipfile with the required files of it and put those manualy on the ipaq, and still no luck.

Barbay1
03-08-2004, 06:09 AM
I have an iMate XDA II with Windows Mobile 2003, and I had the same problem trying to restore from the ActiveSync backup after a hard reset.

I found later that backing up to external flash memory is much better (and faster) -- using either Pocket Backup or xBackup that came with Windows Mobile 2003 works.

There has been a ROM upgrade for the iMate XDA II since then, but I don't know if it fixes the problem or not. I'm not doing a hard reset to find out! (Plus ActiveSync backup/restore is too slow!)

JoshB
03-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Every time I've done a ROM update from HP, there has been a warning in big bold letters during the update process stating "After installing this update, do not restore any backups that were created before the update,"

Am I the only one that ever saw this? The problem described in this post sounds like the result of not heeding this warning.

In other words, it's by design.

ppcsurfr
03-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Well, it seems that people have been having problems with backups... I never did... why? Because I backup and restore from one PPC only...

It's understandable when a backup that even remembers registry entries will not work on a different ROM versioned PPC... so I actually just accepted it that the backup is for me to restore from in case of a bad event such as totally draining my batteries... or something like that... If I get a new PPC or if ever I update a PPC... I always resynch and reinstall...

Well, it is quite weird that it wouldn't work with the update... but does it work without restoring???

If it does... the simplest thing to do is re-install, and resynch.

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

sponge
03-08-2004, 12:50 PM
I must be weird or something, because every ROM update, with the exception of 2000 -> 2002 oh my 3600, and 2002 -2003 on my 3900, I restore an AS backup from before, or a CF backup, and I haven't had a solitary problem yet.

adamz
03-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Restoring on Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition always seems to corrupt something... especially in the still-beta-after-2-years Inbox.
http://discuss.pocketnow.com/showthread.php?threadid=15285

According to Microsoft in their Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310903
You have to delete all your Inbox accounts and rebuild them in order to fix it. But you CAN'T delete the Activesync and SMS accounts, so you're SMS account will always remain corrupt after a restore. It may appear non-corrupt if you don't use a 3rd party SMS desktop management program like SmartPhone Studio, but restoring will break your ability to send/recieve/archive SMS messages. Only a hard reset will fix this.

Even the backup utility on the Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition's XDA II will not restore the SMS account properly. Sprite Backup is working on it, but their current version also makes recieving SMS messages impossible after a Restore.

I'm tempted to just not run backups anymore since the restorations only cause more problems.

rmasinag
03-08-2004, 06:47 PM
I use the free Pocket Backup that Sprite Software gave right around the time the ipaq 2200's came out. Had to hrad reset my 2210 twice, bever had problems. I think $19 for Pocket Backup is worht compared to the headaches of Activestink restore or the built-in backup that came with the IPAQs (didn't do anything for me either)

Zack Mahdavi
03-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I've had the Inbox problems even when restoring from a Sprite backup. When I try to check my email, I get an error that says something like "Messages cannot be downloaded..." The only way to fix the error is to delete my account and add it again.

ctmagnus
03-08-2004, 09:56 PM
I've had the Inbox problems even when restoring from a Sprite backup. When I try to check my email, I get an error that says something like "Messages cannot be downloaded..." The only way to fix the error is to delete my account and add it again.

I have the same issue on my 5550. I eventually made a ListPro list of steps to take after a restore in order to return to full functionality (something like ten steps, both on the PPC and on the desktop).

luiskim
03-09-2004, 12:26 AM
got a question for ya... one time while i was replacing the battery in my 2210, i droped the device... and it hard reset by itself... luckly i did not have similar problem anymore... but i'm afraid that it would happen again... anyone else with similar issues?

Zack Mahdavi
03-09-2004, 05:14 PM
got a question for ya... one time while i was replacing the battery in my 2210, i droped the device... and it hard reset by itself... luckly i did not have similar problem anymore... but i'm afraid that it would happen again... anyone else with similar issues?

I've seen a couple recent posts that sound very similar to your question. Do a search in the forums. I don't think there's any "fix" for that, however.