View Full Version : Another Motorola MPx Video

Jason Dunn
03-06-2004, 12:47 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page632.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page632.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Thanks to our friends at Mobile Gadget News, we've been pointed to a new video of the Windows Mobile 2003 based MPx. The video, which appears to be that of a demo unit (much as you'd see in mobile phone stores, where the device itself doesn't operate, but the physical attributes are accurately reproduced), is provided by Mobile-dreams.net. It depicts more or less every aspect of the phone - other than the actual operation of Windows Mobile - and seeing it handled in person is even better (to me) than the previous previous videos, which looked like somewhat more "marketing" focused."<br /><br />Mobile-Dreams.net has one of the more detailed close-up videos of the Motorola MPx that I've seen. It's strange because the device somehow looks bigger in this video than in the others - we need a standard hand size. ;-) You can <a href="http://estore.shopplex.com/app/storefront.aspx?cat_id=162&inv_id=40302110143250&modid=30214092059015&aid=5">pre-order an MPx today</a> if you want to get it as soon as possible.

saljamex
03-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Any specs? I just bought an O2 XDAII itīs great!! :D

scargill
03-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Cannot put into words how much I want one of these!
However I am going to wait until
a) I have a job
and
b) Its been around for a while and i get real reviews....but I still want one!

JonnoB
03-06-2004, 01:35 AM
It's strange because the device somehow looks bigger in this video than in the others - we need a standard hand size. ;-)

I still think it looks relatively small (small in PPC standards). Who is to say the hand sizes are big or small? Many tell me my hands are gigantic... but they seem normal to me. I hope I can type on that thing!

rubberdemon
03-06-2004, 01:50 AM
I have a Kyocera 7035 Palm smartphone (I know, I know - but I needed a CDMA smartphone, and this was all I could get from Telus last summer - other than the crappy Thera). Anyway, it is almost exactly the same size as the Mpx, though thicker, so if you can find info and more pictures on that, it will help. As for me, I have relatively small hands, and I find the Kyocera to be reasonable for a phone - certainly I wouldn't want it larger, so the fact that the MPx is a little bit smaller is definitely a plus.

Some people have told me my Kyocera reminds them of the original Moto flip phones in size, and like the fact that the mic is at your mouth level, instead of up somewhere by your ear like many of the new tiny phones. I had an XDA for a while, and this is definitely more comfortable to hold (and people don't look at you like you're a weirdo).

My 2c. I'd love this to be CDMA, but I think I'll have a long wait. Sigh.

David C
03-06-2004, 02:11 AM
It's kind of a funny video. :lol: The guy couldn't open it right, got his hand slaped, and the sales person had come in and to show him how to do it right.

Phoenix
03-06-2004, 03:11 AM
I thought we already saw this video here. Oh well, if not here, I saw it somewhere else a number of days ago. But I don't think the phone is too big or any bigger than any of the other videos myself, but each to his own.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these! :multi:

Hopefully, Moto will get the battery life right on this thing, which is the most important issue in a device such as this.

Will T Smith
03-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Was that a CF slot hiding behind the rubber cover? It looked WAY to wide to be a secure digital slot!!!

This thing is UBER-COOL. Motorola will sell MILLIONS!!!!

I also suspect that the folks at HP AND Sony are probably hard at work right now trying to create a knockoff product.

I can really see a lot of overpriveliged kids running around with things. It provides all the IM that they want from a device and a keyboard. It LOOKS like a phone AND has the built in camera. The fact that it will play REAL games and handle REAL tasks like email, writing documents, organizing, scheduling, etc... is probably just enough to get mom & dad to buy them (one for themselves too).

One thing really is necessary. Microsoft needs to add a photo field to pocket Outlook. I can see teens and college kids snapping pictures of new friends and dumping them STRAIGHT into outlook.

To those of us who have ZERO memory (the natural kind, not silicon), that would be a DREAM!!!!!

Slap a low profile Wi-fi card in the side and you'd have EVERYTHING that a teen/college/young professional/professional, would want in a device.

Serious, I think they will sell millions. This is an "iPaq 3600" style device that will DEFINE a new standard and spawn a host of copies.

David Prahl
03-06-2004, 04:12 AM
Finally! A "real" video!

I'm actually glad that it's this size - remember we still need a decent keyboard and screen.

Jason Dunn
03-06-2004, 05:08 AM
Was that a CF slot hiding behind the rubber cover?...One thing really is necessary. Microsoft needs to add a photo field to pocket Outlook....Slap a low profile Wi-fi card in the side and you'd have EVERYTHING...

No CF slot, SD only. Photo field: agreed! WiFi is already included in it! :-D

foldedspace
03-06-2004, 05:56 AM
I finally figured it out. There is a group that cannot be satisfied with a convergent device, because it will be either

a) too small to use

b) bigger than the tiny flip phone they currently have

So for fans of multi-purpose devices, this is exciting. For the rest, no one device will EVER be small enough, pretty enough, big enough...etc. etc.

Again...I dig it.

jimski
03-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Slap a low profile Wi-fi card in the side and you'd have EVERYTHING that a teen/college/young professional/professional, would want in a device.

That's only because those youngsters eyes still work pretty well and they can see something on that teeny weeny screen.

Nice toy (definitely a two device guy), and I may even buy one, but a serious work device it is not.

Jason Dunn
03-06-2004, 06:56 AM
...but a serious work device it is not.

Really? For me, it's the most serious work device yet created because of the built-in keyboard. We'll see how well it works in real life, but based on specs, and what I've seen so far, it will be the most efficient messaging device we've yet seen on the Pocket PC platform.

JonnoB
03-06-2004, 07:59 AM
it will be the most efficient messaging device we've yet seen on the Pocket PC platform.

I agree with that prophetic vision! Please Motorola, make it available in standard retail distribution - I can't wait for a carrier to pick it up. I NEED this device ASAP.

brianchris
03-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Although I'd love a PPC Phone edition device, any PPC phone edition device I would buy would have to have Bluetooth (narowing the field down to the MPx and the XDAII).

However, the biggest concern I have about such devices is: I'm a fairly heavy Bluettoth GPS user. Can any existing XDAII owners elaborate on exactly what happens when you are using the device with an active Bluettoth GPS session, and a phone call comes in? I do have a bluetooth headset.....is it as simple as answering the call with the bluetooth headset and the GPS session is left intact? Obviously, answering the call with the handset wouldn't be an option as I couldn't see the GPS directions anymore.

Regardless, the MPx looks like the most innovative phone and/or PDA ever.

-Brian

anthonymoody
03-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Now all they have to do is put an iPod control wheel on the back and squeeze a 4gb HD in there and we'll be all set! I'd lose the camera in a heartbeat for that swap btw...

I STILL want one.

TM

JustinGTP
03-06-2004, 08:26 PM
This is the device I could see myself using, it is very nice too look at at the specs and dual flipping screen is absolutely amazing. Indeed I want one.

-Justin.

Michel
03-08-2004, 03:41 PM
A site (http://mpx.ruttensoft.com/) with the most number of videos of the MPx so far (look at the bottom of the page).

The MPx is by far the most innovative concept to hit the market.... ever, I'd dare to to say.